Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh IMS Revenue Idea for J. Doug and Hulman Descendants

Fresh IMS Revenue Idea for J. Doug and Hulman Descendants

If we ever have an extended period of winter again here in the Hoosier heartland, I have an idea for Boles and crew over at IMS that features another paid event that might draw a lot of spectators.

They already have a relationship with Red Bull for the air races. What about adding a Red Bull Crashed Ice event? Even though I am increasingly elderly, I cannot stop watching this. Given the close, competitive, edge-of-seat racing it offers, would this not be a perfect complement to IndyCars at their home track?

I would pay to sit there, shiver, and watch. Maybe even purchase some bland, overpriced Levi grub too. Something to ponder anyway…

Supporting Indy Car racing since 1959

I've caught this on TV a few times and love it. They're racing in Fenway Park this week

https://twitter.com/fenwaypark/statu...35020877766657

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Given the close, competitive, edge-of-seat racing it offers, would this not be a perfect complement to IndyCars at their home track?
    How could such an event be, "a perfect complement to IndyCars at their home track," when the Red Bull event would be held in the dead of winter whereas the Indy cars would be racing near the beginning of summer?

Likewise, what would make the Red Bull skating event specifically a perfect complement to IndyCars? Why wouldn't it be seen a perfect complement to the Brickyard 400, or the Red Bull Air Races which also take place at IMS?
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

I've never seen it and have doubts about it being anything. But. The location for it would be the turn 3 dirt track. Stands close enough to the competition, not much fencing to take down,restrooms that would need heaters. I wouldn't be icing over the big oval and either having the fencing in the way or being taken down on the front stretch.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    How could such an event be, "a perfect complement to IndyCars at their home track," when the Red Bull event would be held in the dead of winter whereas the Indy cars would be racing near the beginning of summer? Likewise, what would make the Red Bull skating event specifically a perfect complement to IndyCars? Why wouldn't it be seen a perfect complement to the Brickyard 400, or the Red Bull Air Races which also take place at IMS?
    So happy you asked, inquisitive Spike. I would be happy to explain, but first you need to foster a discernable ability to think and reason holistically, and set aside any usual schoolmarm persona. In other words, put down the red Sharpie and look with me, arm in arm, at the big picture.

Spike, I am about to utilize a literary device known as an analogy. That is a form of reasoning in which one thing is inferred to be similar to other things in certain respects, on the basis of known similarities between things in other respects. But enough Defender obtuse dictionary gobbledegook, right?

Let’s think of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as a really big Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends. Whenever I attend events there, I get a similar vibe. Only instead of one drunk uncle and a small group of friends, there are several thousand drunk uncles and aunts and a few hundred thousand friends, at least in May.

The centerpiece of the whole shebang is the big ‘ol turkey. I prefer mine either smoked in the dependable Traeger with cherry or pecan wood; or deep fried, Cajun style. There really is no wrong way. The turkey represents the centerpiece of the whole joint: The Indianapolis 500.

We could also surmise Carb Day is best represented by the green bean casserole. Almost everyone serves that at Thanksgiving, and it also sort of looks like the grounds on the north side of the infield right after all the youthful partying is complete.

The Brickyard 400 is best represented by mashed potatoes and gravy. Many around these here parts also pile on homemade noodles or dumplings. It is all very plodding and heavy; a regular gut building, artery damaging carb fest. It is nowhere near the turkey in popularity, but is essential filler. And the TV money is not bad either.

The Red Bull Air Race is best represented by the cranberry side dish. People say it pairs well with the turkey, but to many others is merely red residue that gets politely shoved to the side of the plate. Those who like it really like it, particularly its tartness.

The little dirt track deal that appears to be on it’s way to becoming a regular event is like the pre-meal can of Pabst while you play cornhole outside as the ladies prepare the dinner table.

When Formula 1 was here, it represented an overpriced bottle of wine that ended up being spilled all over the nice tablecloth and opulent wooden floor by the uppity, height challenged, white headed person who brought it, who then sort of huffed away early on. No one said ‘good riddance,’ but that was the sentiment of many, especially the year they ended up only bringing about ľ of a bottle and still wanted you to pay them $25 million dollars so they could grace your shabby facility the following year.

I sort of wish the Moto GP deal was still a visitor. They seemed like a zesty little appetizer that did not get folks too filled up before the main course.

A Red Bull Crashed Ice addition might represent the dessert pie a la mode. The ice cream would be critical, because it is cold. And it tastes really good on a hot pie. Preferably apple. Many prefer pumpkin pie with frozen Cool Whip, and that’s good too.

Now Spike, all of these things as a whole seem very complementary to one another, and variety remains the spice of life. It is for these reasons I personally advocate addition of a Red Bull Crashed Ice event. Like IndyCar, it is fast paced, very racy in close quarters, and occasionally folks hit the wall. It feels a lot like IndyCar, only without all the expensive carbon fiber enclosure and artificial power. If participants have a bad crash there is no need to cough up a large pile of dough so Dallara can fabricate replacement parts on short notice. They just need Dr. Trammell on speed dial.

There you have it. Questions? A Red Bull Crashed Ice event would greatly enhance current IMS efforts to attract younger, short-attention-span demographics as paying customers who can be effectively cross-marketed to in order sell tickets for all IMS events year round. That is my opinion and I am sticking to it. YM, of course, MV.

I think Indiana legalizing sports gambling will be a bigger boon for the Indy 500 and Indycar than any novelty side events.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Might as well have the NHL Winter Classic at the Speedway while we're at it

Thanks Defender.
    "A lot of information on the Internet quickly occupies niche spaces, for specialized audiences, which use it for their own purposes."

Bravo John
    RIP Dan Wheldon :(

"Anybody who says the IndyCar Series is not the best championship in the world is a complete idiot in my book." ~Dan Wheldon

"It's a discussion board, not a society ball." ~Skypigeon

Quote Originally Posted by m500 View Post
    I would seriously consider buying tickets for this.

This could also be a good way to get the Blue Jackets into a Winter Classic (likely against the Blackhawks) if they become a long-term contender (OSU will rent out the Shoe for a Winter Classic when hell freezes over.).
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

I think you would have a lot of takers for a game there, there's plenty of parking, as long as it doesn't snow/rain to much, howsoever they would have to have a lot of temporary toilets/concessions though

I'm really warming to the idea of an NHL Winter Classic/Red Bull Ice Crashers doubleheader inside the hallowed grounds....

Quote Originally Posted by m500 View Post
    I always watch this event on New Yearís Day held at football stadiums and baseball parks, but I am having trouble visualizing where IMS would set up an ice rink to best utilize existing grandstands.

If we ever have an extended period of winter again here in the Hoosier heartland, I have an idea for Boles and crew over at IMS that features another paid event that might draw a lot of spectators.

They already have a relationship with Red Bull for the air races. What about adding a Red Bull Crashed Ice event? Even though I am increasingly elderly, I cannot stop watching this. Given the close, competitive, edge-of-seat racing it offers, would this not be a perfect complement to IndyCars at their home track?

I would pay to sit there, shiver, and watch. Maybe even purchase some bland, overpriced Levi grub too. Something to ponder anyway…

This is a downhill sport. Where do you suggest they set this up at IMS? Down the grandstands? It would be better to have some own Winter Classic, a sprint or midget race on ice with IndyCar drivers or something like that.

If IMS can bring in say the Winter X Games and this be part of it, then I think it’s a great idea.
    Last edited by Boweimer; 02-09-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    This is a downhill sport. Where do you suggest they set this up at IMS? Down the grandstands? It would be better to have some own Winter Classic, a sprint or midget race on ice with IndyCar drivers or something like that.
    If they can set up a course in Fenway Park, they can certainly do a lot more inside IMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Paul View Post
    I always watch this event on New Year’s Day held at football stadiums and baseball parks, but I am having trouble visualizing where IMS would set up an ice rink to best utilize existing grandstands.
    Yeah that would be a bit of a problem..

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    These crushed ice things are cool on TV, but I imagine it's real hard to set it up for good sightlines for a significant number of spectators. They've run it somewhere down by the the state capitol in St. Paul and I've never bothered going as it seemed like getting any sort of a good vantage point for spectating was pretty difficult since the racers go down this narrow course with walls on either side.

I still don't know how they set up an artificial ice track with such steep angles (why doesn't the water run down when it's applied?)! Must be some trick I've never heard of. BTW, I think this track starts from the side of a building.

"Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    If IMS can bring in say the Winter X Games and this be part of it, then I think it’s a great idea.
    Winter X is just about dead. They dumped all the snowmobile events - too dangerous was the excuse - and now it is skis, snowboards and snow bikes and you need a big hill for that. The snowmobile hillcross and aerial show are gone.

Under the lights, freestyle is spectacular:

Blog Entries
    Winter X Games audience smallest in years

The Winter X Games averaged 623,000 viewers across ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC, according to Sports Business Daily — down 27% from last year (851K), down 20% from 2017 (778K), and the lowest average for the event in at least 20 years. Average viewership has declined 40 percent from just four years ago (2015: 1.04M).
    https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...s-senior-bowl/

I'm really warming to the idea of an NHL Winter Classic/Red Bull Ice Crashers doubleheader inside the hallowed grounds....
    Heck -- they could play 15 games (30 of 31 teams) all within the infield at same time

Maybe they can fit those snow crawlers on Indycars. Indy 500 winter style.

The problem with the X games is that it happens every year....they should probably move it to a once every 2 years or 4 years format.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    Winter X is just about dead. They dumped all the snowmobile events - too dangerous was the excuse - and now it is skis, snowboards and snow bikes and you need a big hill for that. The snowmobile hillcross and aerial show are gone.

Under the lights, freestyle is spectacular:
    Really? They cancelled all the snowmobile events? I think someone should have told Daniel Bodin and the 7 other guys in the Snowmobile Freestyle event that.

https://youtu.be/itT7XkZk_VM

As for Winter X being 'almost dead', per the Aspen News:
    "The final day of X Games Aspen 2019 saw the largest crowds for a Sunday in the eventís history, as 43,000 turned out to witness redemption in the superpipe, precision on the slopestyle course and moto-centric contests to close out the festival.
    Sundayís numbers, combined with a comparably sized Saturday, meant total Aspen attendance tied a previous X Games record of 117,000, according to ESPN. Year-over-year, about 2,000 more people than last year passed through the gates of the four-day event....All four concerts at the 8,000-capacity venue last weekend, Lil Wayne, Louis the Child, The Chainsmokers and Kygo, were sold out, said Danny Chi, director of communications for ESPN, on Monday.

So I'm guessing Aspen is pretty happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boweimer View Post
    If IMS can bring in say the Winter X Games and this be part of it, then I think itís a great idea.
    Let's take a look at where Winter X has been held, shall we?

1997: Bear MOUNTAIN Resort
    1998-1999: Crested Butte MOUNTAIN Resort
    2000-2001: MOUNT Snow Resort
    2002-present (with a schedule through 2024): Buttermilk MOUNTAIN Resort, Aspen/Snowmass, CO

Notice a common thread here with all these host locations for Winter X? I'll give you a hint... It starts with an 'M', ends with an 'N', and has an 'OUNTAI' in the middle.

All that aside, ESPN owns Winter X. Red Bull owns Crashed Ice. Ne'er the twain shall meet.

Why'd Red Bull put a Crashed Ice Event at Fenway? Let's see. Boston College. Boston University. Northeastern. And the 32 other institutions of higher learning in Beantown. 152,000 under 25 Red-Bull swigging customers right there. I just can't see that same demographic existing in Indianapolis...yes, I'm sure Butler and IUPUI drink Red Bull too, there just aren't as many of them.
    As for the Winter Classic, again, look at where it has been held previously. It's always in a football/hockey stadium in (or near) an existing NHL market. Not to knock the Indy Fuel, but 3900 fans a game doesn't scream 'Hockey Mecca' and give the NHL a reason to stage a game at IMS.
    All that being said, you may be onto something. But I think you're looking at the wrong season. You should be looking at the Fall. Because this.

156,990 to see the Tennessee Vols play the VaTech Hokies.

Would it be easy? No more difficult than building a ski hill, I'd venture. I don't know where they'd even put the field, but I'm sure they could figure it out.

Could you attract a larger crowd, with more marketing opportunities that downhill ice skating? If you reached out to that lil' team up the road in South Bend (you know that one, the one that has an existing TV deal with IndyCar's current broadcast partner), I'd say you could. It's college football in the Midwest...and I'd say college football would be an easier sell than watching ex-hockey players skate down a hill.

Quote Originally Posted by slkornya View Post

Really? They cancelled all the snowmobile events? I think someone should have told Daniel Bodin and the 7 other guys in the Snowmobile Freestyle event that.

https://youtu.be/itT7XkZk_VM

As for Winter X being 'almost dead', per the Aspen News:
    "The final day of X Games Aspen 2019 saw the largest crowds for a Sunday in the event’s history, as 43,000 turned out to witness redemption in the superpipe, precision on the slopestyle course and moto-centric contests to close out the festival.
    Sunday’s numbers, combined with a comparably sized Saturday, meant total Aspen attendance tied a previous X Games record of 117,000, according to ESPN. Year-over-year, about 2,000 more people than last year passed through the gates of the four-day event....All four concerts at the 8,000-capacity venue last weekend, Lil Wayne, Louis the Child, The Chainsmokers and Kygo, were sold out, said Danny Chi, director of communications for ESPN, on Monday.

So I'm guessing Aspen is pretty happy.

1997: Bear MOUNTAIN Resort
    1998-1999: Crested Butte MOUNTAIN Resort
    2000-2001: MOUNT Snow Resort
    2002-present (with a schedule through 2024): Buttermilk MOUNTAIN Resort, Aspen/Snowmass, CO

Notice a common thread here with all these host locations for Winter X? I'll give you a hint... It starts with an 'M', ends with an 'N', and has an 'OUNTAI' in the middle.

All that aside, ESPN owns Winter X. Red Bull owns Crashed Ice. Ne'er the twain shall meet.
    Perhaps a dog sled race then? Will & Dixon yelling mush!
    Last edited by Boweimer; 02-10-2019 at 08:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slkornya View Post
    [SIZE=2][FONT=arial]

The X Games used to include multiple snowmobile events: Hillcross, Sno-Cross, Speed and Style, Long Jump and Freestyle. The first 4 events I mentioned are now gone and Freestyle is - apparently - down to just 8 riders. I know a couple of medalists; when I talked to Cory Davis last summer, he told me the event was gone and he wasn't going back. I didn't watch this year.

There used to be other freestyle events in conjunction with other snowmobile races. Cory went to several of them, not sure where they were.

The first big time event was the Gravity Games back in 2000 on NBC; kid from Valdez I sponsored won the first one.

The whole sport has been under scrutiny since there was a death in 2013.

Blog Entries
    probably more likely at Lucas Oil field with the roof open.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick500 View Post
    These crushed ice things are cool on TV, but I imagine it's real hard to set it up for good sightlines for a significant number of spectators. They've run it somewhere down by the the state capitol in St. Paul and I've never bothered going as it seemed like getting any sort of a good vantage point for spectating was pretty difficult since the racers go down this narrow course with walls on either side.

I still don't know how they set up an artificial ice track with such steep angles (why doesn't the water run down when it's applied?)! Must be some trick I've never heard of. BTW, I think this track starts from the side of a building.

it does. ever seen a frozen waterfall or a bobsled track? you spray water, it freezes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    speedway bikes on ice is awesome. why not midgets on snow? how about snowcross? just bring in a few snow blowers.