Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Alliance of American Football Season

Blog Entries
    The one Colts game I ever saw at the Hoos--er, RCA Dome was upper deck behind the end zone. All I remember is we lost to the Jets... bad...

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skypigeon View Post
    The one Colts game I ever saw at the Hoos--er, RCA Dome was upper deck behind the end zone. All I remember is we lost to the Jets... bad...
    The only Colts game I attended there was a pre-season match the weekend of the Brickyard.

The large gentleman three rows in front of me dropped his handgun out of the back of his pants.
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    ~~Groucho Marx

'If I wanted to see a bunch of guys try and fail to score for 3 hours, I would have taken my buddies out to a bar!"
    ~~mattbholland

Blog Entries
    Major league money for a minor league sport.

The Alliance of American Football today announced that prominent major league sports owner, operator and entrepreneur Tom Dundon has committed $250 million to the dynamic, newly formed professional football league.

The Alliance debuted as the highest rated sports program in primetime on February 9, 2019 on CBS, with additional broadcast partnerships across NFL Network and Turner Sports adding millions more. Over 6 million people watched The Alliance in its inaugural weekend. In addition to top-flight football, The Alliance’s proprietary technology -- including The Alliance App -- is supported by strategic partner and investor MGM Resorts International.

“Since the beginning, it has been crucial that the foundation of The Alliance be set with world-class partners and Tom Dundon represents just that,” said Charlie Ebersol, co-founder and CEO, The Alliance. “Tom, Bill Polian and I will work with our great team at the Alliance to expand our football operations and technology business. Tom is a self-made American success story who brings a wealth of knowledge in the sports, entertainment and finance worlds and proven leadership to our organization.”

Dundon will serve as chairman of The Alliance board of directors effective immediately. Tom is an accomplished entrepreneur, investor, and the principal owner of the Carolina Hurricanes of the National Hockey League. Dundon is also the co-founder of Trinity Forest Golf Club in Dallas, home of the PGA Tour’s AT&T Byron Nelson, the majority owner of Employer Direct Healthcare, a healthcare services company, and a primary investor in the global sports entertainment company, Topgolf.
    https://aaf.com/prominent-sports-own...eur-tom-dundon

It just shows how hard it is to keep a pro football league other than the NFL afloat...many have tried, few have succeeded. That being said if the new investor is putting nearly $250 million into the league, he must have seen a lot of potential after just watching one weekend of AAF games.

I like the behind the QB camera angle. Lets you see what type of front the defense is in. Easier to see if the defense is playing man/zone, how tight the coverage is and what type of zone they're in. You see running lanes developing and closing, see the impacts of stunts better and OL adjustments to blitzes and stunts. You see so much more all around.

Seems to really be a mixed, but strong opinion on the camera. I'd like to see football take a page out of the NASCAR book and offer a station/website/app/etc that shows multiple camera angles and allows the user to choose. Perhaps that already exists but I don't know about it. Live, not after the fact. Perhaps the behind the QB view, an all 22, a sideline. Was about to suggest an official wearing a camera, but I doubt the NFL wants the fans to see what the official saw on a specific play. Certainly would open up can of worms at some point.

I wonder if that financial strategy was intentional by the league.

If the public accepts it and ratings are good, someone will certainly buy in.

If the public rejects it, the league vanishes off and is quickly forgotten. However, investors aren't too deep into it.

Risked pissing off some unpaid players if it failed, but at the end of the day, they all received another chance of showing they're NFL roster worthy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGfan View Post
    I wonder if that financial strategy was intentional by the league.

If the public accepts it and ratings are good, someone will certainly buy in.

If the public rejects it, the league vanishes off and is quickly forgotten. However, investors aren't too deep into it.

Risked pissing off some unpaid players if it failed, but at the end of the day, they all received another chance of showing they're NFL roster worthy.
    Apparently, the reason for this transaction is that the AAF was broke, some of the top coaches had already quit because they were afraid they would not get paid and the league was essentially sold to Mr. Dundon. Not great planning....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    Apparently, the reason for this transaction is that the AAF was broke, some of the top coaches had already quit because they were afraid they would not get paid and the league was essentially sold to Mr. Dundon. Not great planning....
    Why does this league bother you so much?
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Why does this league bother you so much?
    Oh, it doesn't, not at all. The NFL really needs some kind of minor league/feeder system other than taking college kids at 20.

In fact, the NFL should support the AAF financially. I suspect the only reason they are not has to do with future liability of more players.

I don't want to watch it, I don't watch minor league baseball, either, but there sure is a need.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortably numb View Post
    The only Colts game I attended there was a pre-season match the weekend of the Brickyard.

The large gentleman three rows in front of me dropped his handgun out of the back of his pants.
    Large and in charge.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
    I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Week 3 Vegas odds

Arizona a 4.5 favorite over Salt Lake City
    Orlando a 15.5 favorite over Memphis
    Birmingham a 6.5 favorite over Atlanta
    San Diego a 2.5 favorite over San Antonio

Where are you guys finding the games? Other than that first game I haven't noticed any listings for any others. Is there a network carrying them or do you have to purchase a package on direct TV or something like that?

CBS Sports or NFL Network I believe.

CBS Sports and NFL Network show the games.

You can also find the games on the AAF website or youtube

Quote Originally Posted by CrankShaft View Post
    Worst camera angles I have ever seen on a football telecast.

Enough with the "innovation"...there are good reasons why the most expensive and best seats in the house for football games are on the sidelines between the 30's.

That's how we watch football. Not with these video game elements they are trying to implement.
    This is highly subjective. I like sitting at the end zones for a different perspective. If I want to see the TV view, I'll just watch on TV.

That said, the overhead shots during live plays need some work, or elimination altogether.
    The minimum safe following distance on the road is two seconds, no matter how important/skilled you feel you are. This doesn't change if you think the person in front of you is driving too slow. These truths are non-negotiable.

Quote Originally Posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post
    It just shows how hard it is to keep a pro football league other than the NFL afloat...many have tried, few have succeeded. That being said if the new investor is putting nearly $250 million into the league, he must have seen a lot of potential after just watching one weekend of AAF games.
    That's the way I see it. There's no way he would invest that much in a sinking ship.

Perhaps too he has some inside knowledge that the NFL is keen on developing a more official partnership with the AAF. Just speculation for sure, but plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGfan View Post
    Was about to suggest an official wearing a camera, but I doubt the NFL wants the fans to see what the official saw on a specific play. Certainly would open up can of worms at some point.
    I've actually seen this recently, and it might have been from the CFL. It doesn't add much to the game though, because the official is running around without any desire or effort to maintain a steady shot (because he has more important things to do, naturally).

I think it was the WLAF that used the QB helmet cam in the 1990s. There's a good reason why nobody else is using it today.