Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alliance of American Football Season

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Yep.

If I needed someone to cut a promo that convinced fans to come to the Mid South Coliseum to see his match against Bill Dundee, Jerry Lawler would be my first choice. If I want analysis of the combination of pass routes that caused the defense to break down and allow a wide open receiver, Lawler would be be last.

With the AAFL being the NFL's developmental league with the support that comes with it, I don't see where the XFL is supposed to slot in next year.
    AAFL talent is already a bit below the NFL so the XFL will be a cut below that. Yesterday, the defensive player of the game in Orlando-Atlanta was LB Terence Garvin. He was undrafted out of college after 2013, knocked around with several teams. He was on the 53 in Seattle in 2017 all year but was let go, did not make a team during the 2018 season.

Those 3 year non-guaranteed contracts with the AAF will lock out a lot of talent away from the XFL 2.0....unless they get cut it looks like the AAF will have first pick of the players that weren't able to make it to the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post
    Those 3 year non-guaranteed contracts with the AAF will lock out a lot of talent away from the XFL 2.0....unless they get cut it looks like the AAF will have first pick of the players that weren't able to make it to the NFL.
    Yep.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Plus if your a player who wants a shot at the NFL your going to try to get into the AAF not the XFL...

Arizona beats Salt Lake City 38-22... Amazing Arizona ran mostly a no huddle offense which is quite impressive for a team that has been together only for a couple weeks.

Standings after Week 1
    Top 2 each division make playoffs

East
    Orlando 1-0 40-6
    Birmingham 1-0- 26-0
    Memphis 0-1 0-26
    Atlanta 0-1 6-40

West
    Arizona 1-0 38-22
    San Antonio 1-0 15-6
    San Diego 0-1 6-15
    Salt Lake 0-1 22-38

Next Week

Saturday afternoon
    Salt Lake City (0-1) at Birmingham (1-0) TNT

Saturday Night
    Arizona (1-0) at Memphis (0-1) NFL Network

Sunday Afternoon
    Orlando (1-0) at San Antonio (1-0) CBS Sports

Sunday Night
    Atlanta (0-1) at San Diego (0-1) NFL Network

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    AAFL talent is already a bit below the NFL so the XFL will be a cut below that. Yesterday, the defensive player of the game in Orlando-Atlanta was LB Terence Garvin. He was undrafted out of college after 2013, knocked around with several teams. He was on the 53 in Seattle in 2017 all year but was let go, did not make a team during the 2018 season.
    We’re you expecting Aaron Rodgers to jump to the Alliance?
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

For starters the name on the back of that player's jersey was "HeHateMe" not "HeHitMe".

But let's move on to this new league... I lasted one set of downs. Gilbert threw 3 passes wildly off target and then their punter punted the ball 57 yards.

Sorry but not after the punt-fest that was the Super Bowl was I gonna sit through another. That first set of downs showed America that coaches know what they are doing when they cut players from their rosters.

But no, I won't be making any effort to watch any more of this new league. The NFL needs a minor league but that doesn't mean I need to watch it.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
    I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

You just gave a reason why a lot of fans won't watch any alternative leagues other than NCAA or NFL....people have made a time and emotional investment to watch the season progress in those leagues up to the point where they saw a championship being crowned.....they won't be invested in the league especially a week after the Super Bowl. They already have football fatigue. Now there are other fans who can't get enough football, even if its players that couldn't make it to the NFL....thats who the XFL and AAF are going after.

It was nice to see that the new league was nixing Kickoffs and had come up with an alternative to on-side kicks with a requirement to pull off a 4th and 12. But back in the day I use to run back both Kicks & Punts and I never was fearful of kickoffs. But standing there waiting for a punt to come down, that could at times be a scary deal.

But coming up for a replacement for Punts, that's gonna take some finesse to find something that's not going to change the nature of the game dramatically.

I watched 3 of the 4 games and enjoyed it. Very much like old school football. You could actually hit a QB and not get a penalty !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    For starters the name on the back of that player's jersey was "HeHateMe" not "HeHitMe".
    Rod Smart, went to the NFL and played 4 years for Carolina as a special teams ace.

But no, I won't be making any effort to watch any more of this new league. The NFL needs a minor league but that doesn't mean I need to watch it.
    Exactly right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I liked that there was no flag on the sack that knocked the QB's helmet off.
    "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

The NFL needs a minor league but that doesn't mean I need to watch it.
    The real question is how many times you & Wilke will either tell us how bad the play is or how you aren't watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by stockblock View Post
    Sunday Afternoon
    Orlando (1-0) at San Antonio (1-0) CBS Sports
    Looking forward to this one. San Antonio really seemed to get behind their team, and Orlando apparently looked as good as early observers said they would (this was the one Week 1 game I had no access to).

The Apollos have former Purdue standout Akeem Hunt, who appeared in 30 NFL games with Houston and Kansas City as an RB and KR. He was released early in 2018 after an injury and is one of the top AAF players with a real shot at a second chance in the NFL. He ran 10 times for 73 yards in his AAF debut.

One bad thing about the "no kickoffs" rule is that a lot of these AAF players are more likely to qualify for special teams roles in the NFL.
    The minimum safe following distance on the road is two seconds, no matter how important/skilled you feel you are. This doesn't change if you think the person in front of you is driving too slow. These truths are non-negotiable.

But coming up for a replacement for Punts, that's gonna take some finesse to find something that's not going to change the nature of the game dramatically.
    Punts are never going away.

That's a totally different play then the kickoff. And deemed not nearly as dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by stockblock View Post
    Arizona beats Salt Lake City 38-22... Amazing Arizona ran mostly a no huddle offense which is quite impressive for a team that has been together only for a couple weeks.
    I think the first week showed how well prepared some teams were and how poorly prepared others were. And even in a minor league football league, that comes down to coaching.

Any surprise that Mike Singletary's team looked lost all day; especially on offense?

I always thought Rick Neuheisel was a solid head coach and his team looked BY FAR the best prepared and most well run of any of the 8 teams in week 1. That was impressive how well schooled and how efficient his offense ran (and he was calling the plays). Plus his QB (from Wake Forest) is smart and accurate with the ball.

Blog Entries
    The real question is how many times you & Wilke will either tell us how bad the play is or how you aren't watching it.
    I hope they do well, the NFL needs a minor league. If I were king, I'd let the NFL play all 53 and expand their PS.

That said, I don't watch minor league baseball, either.

Plays well with Others
    I already heard today on sports radio, the tired argument of “could Clemson beat an AAF team?” My guess is it would be a lot closer than an NFL/Clemson matchup...but these guys are still pros and most played in the NFL for a bit. This early on it would be interesting as these AAF teams haven’t been together that long (assuming they're playing the Clemson team that just killed Bama and not next year’s iteration in this hypothetical scenario). But I still think in the trenches the difference between pros and college kids would show. It would be closer though, especially against Salt Lake (who looked pretty bad)
    "We named the dog Indiana"

Quote Originally Posted by mattbholland View Post
    I already heard today on sports radio, the tired argument of “could Clemson beat an AAF team?”
    Yes, and probably the Jets, Raiders and several others. As could an AAF team as well

Quote Originally Posted by mattbholland View Post
    I already heard today on sports radio, the tired argument of “could Clemson beat an AAF team?”
    Those are always ridiculous questions. Even the best college teams are loaded with players who will never get a sniff of pro ball, because they simply aren't good enough.

The vast majority of AAF players, OTOH, got that sniff, and in some cases, much more than that.

Regardless how great a collage player looks against another "collage" player they would get destroyed by a much larger and more experienced NFL or AAF player.

Insider
    True.

But, if you needed to win the Championship Game in a couple of weeks and the AAF allowed you a Ringer waiver for the Game and ability select any current AAF player or from the Collegiate Level...

Would you select any of these current AAF QBs or Trevor Lawrence?

I think I'd roll the dice with Trevor,

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Butler View Post
    Looking forward to this one. San Antonio really seemed to get behind their team, and Orlando apparently looked as good as early observers said they would (this was the one Week 1 game I had no access to).

The Apollos have former Purdue standout Akeem Hunt, who appeared in 30 NFL games with Houston and Kansas City as an RB and KR. He was released early in 2018 after an injury and is one of the top AAF players with a real shot at a second chance in the NFL. He ran 10 times for 73 yards in his AAF debut.

One bad thing about the "no kickoffs" rule is that a lot of these AAF players are more likely to qualify for special teams roles in the NFL.
    Agree with you that the Orlando at San Antonio match is likely the best of the next week. Another one i am looking forward to is Salt Lake at Birmingham. Salt Lake although they lost their first game has the largest offensive line in the league plus former NFL players Matt Asiata and Brandon Oliver at running back. Birmingham's former NFL running back Trent Richardson looked really good week one as did their small college QB Luis Perez. As far as the other two games it depends if Memphis or Atlanta can vastly improve on bad Week 1 efforts. Part of Atlanta's problem i am sure is that their Head Coach Brad Childress quit just before the start of the season and the new coach removed Mike Vick from offensive coordinator. So they had all new coaching staff right before the first game.

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyh View Post
    True.

But, if you needed to win the Championship Game in a couple of weeks and the AAF allowed you a Ringer waiver for the Game and ability select any current AAF player or from the Collegiate Level...

Would you select any of these current AAF QBs or Trevor Lawrence,
    Assuming he's a 1st year natural wonder like Mahomes or a Wilson and has the ability of escape... maybe. The other though is, could he survive a couple vicious sacks? as his time in the pocket would be much shorter than in College.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rodneyh View Post
    True.

Would you select any of these current AAF QBs or Trevor Lawrence?

I think I'd roll the dice with Trevor,
    You wouldn't go with Josh Johnson? He's good enough to play in the NFL ...... for 12 different teams.

Quote Originally Posted by CrankShaft View Post
    Punts are never going away.

That's a totally different play then the kickoff. And deemed not nearly as dangerous.
    First I agree on the fact that punts will never be replaced.

I also agree with the Punt not being nearly as dangerous as kickoffs. Unless you are the guy standing waiting for the ball to come down and wondering if it will get to him before the 250 dude racing towards you with his helmet aimed at your chest does.

Still safer than when you are running full speed at each other.

One need only look at all the 1st round NFL drafts picks over history to realize being a great college QB doesn't mean you will be successful in a pro career.

Still safer than when you are running full speed at each other.
    Shirley that's true. I was just sayin'.

On Kickoffs I saw more linemen get hurt from two linemen running into each other. If I ran into a big lineman I'd bounce... Up, down, whatever but I would bounce. Two linemen are just gonna smash.

Football has changed significantly since you played.