Thread: Laguna Seca Testing

Laguna Seca Testing

I'm hoping that some TF'ers will be at the track today to give us some lap times.

Thanks,
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'm hoping that some TF'ers will be at the track today to give us some lap times.

Thanks,
    Glenn
    And I'm hoping the forecast from earlier in the week is wrong and they get enough track time today. So far my weather app is showing 40 degrees and cloudy, but no rain until later in the day.
    “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Monterey webcam shows clouds. Weather.com says heavy rain by early afternoon.

https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/...rt-of-monterey

Marshall has posted a video on his twitter page:

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett

Interesting: Marshall just tweeted that Larry Foyt said with the rain coming, they are packing up and not running in order to save a testing day.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Interesting: Marshall just tweeted that Larry Foyt said with the rain coming, they are packing up and not running in order to save a testing day.
    Do they not know how to read a weather forecast? Could have saved his team a lot of trouble and expenses and just not show up in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDoorsNoDales View Post
    Do they not know how to read a weather forecast? Could have saved his team a lot of trouble and expenses and just not show up in the first place.
    The forecast was bad, but it seems like the rain is holding off. Other teams are running.

I was planning to go until I saw the forcast. The forecast earlier in the week had the rain not starting until late in the day. This morning NOAA had it beginning at 10:00 so I decided not worth the drive. Of course now I wish I had gone. Radar has some fairly heavy rain being soon.

Some random times from Mr. Pruett:

Rossi: 1m12.7s. Rahal: 1m12.6s. JNew: 1m12.9s. Dixon: 1m12.1s

Carlin Racing posted a screenshot with times:
    https://twitter.com/CarlinRacing/sta...54205792890880

Quote Originally Posted by Unser>Andretti View Post
    Carlin Racing posted a screenshot with times:
    https://twitter.com/CarlinRacing/sta...54205792890880
    Updated times:
    https://twitter.com/CarlinRacing/sta...64494361878528

Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Quote Originally Posted by PaddockMoose View Post
    Apparently Enerson stopped for lunch on one lap...
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    His pit box is probably before the timing line.

A little bit surprised with 1:11 lap time,big gap between unofficial lap record 1:05!
    Sebastian bourdais said the car could go faster(1:09) with optional tires, but the condition of track surface(pavement) is just not good as 2006-07 when he set 1:05 time with DP01.....
    I still HOPE to see much faster QF time with right setup!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by su37 View Post
    A little bit surprised with 1:11 lap time,big gap between unofficial lap record 1:05!
    Sebastian bourdais said the car could go faster(1:09) with optional tires, but the condition of track surface(pavement) is just not good as 2006-07 when he set 1:05 time with DP01.....
    I still HOPE to see much faster QF time with right setup!
    Rumors is that the DPO01 record was with the car a max boost and the car trimmed out as much as possible. I'm sure if today's engine was allowed to run full boost and was set up strictly for Laguna Seca the times was drop dramatically.

In 2004, the last time American open wheel was at Laguna Seca, the qualifying times were in the 1:09's so today's car is about as quick as those from 14 years ago. I believe the 2004 Champ Car still had 850 horsepower so they were still 100 horsepower more then today's car. To be honest I don't know how much the track as changed in 14 years but I can't imagine by much even though that is a long time.

Let's also remember that when they were running at Laguna this past week the warmest it got was the mid-50's so it wasn't a hot day. Sure the cold weather probably helped with downforce and horsepower but took away from traction. I bet you if the weather was warmer the times would be up.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Good explanation!
    In fact, I was curious about the setup of the DP01 during 2006 laguna seca test!
    Besides, UAK QF time on Road America in 2018 just 1.7s slower than DP01's in 2007.
    Consider the track length and characteristic, maybe UAK QF time on laguna seca could be much closer than 1s!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    Rumors is that the DPO01 record was with the car a max boost...
    What rumors? Can you be more specific?

What was max boost on the XFE engine?

...and the car trimmed out as much as possible.
    Again, you're relying on some non-specific "rumor." Nonetheless, isn't "trimmed out as much as possible" what every race team does, with any car, when they want to set a fast lap time?

I'm sure if today's engine was allowed to run full boost...
    What do you mean by "full boost?" Does it differ from "max boost?"

...and was set up strictly for Laguna Seca the times was drop dramatically.
    In what ways were the cars not set up strictly for Laguna Seca?

In 2004, the last time American open wheel was at Laguna Seca, the qualifying times were in the 1:09's so today's car is about as quick as those from 14 years ago.
    Helio turned a 1:07.722 in the year 2000. Bourdais' lap of 1:05.880 in the DP01 was set in 2007 (at a test session that was the first time out with a new car).

I believe the 2004 Champ Car still had 850 horsepower so they were still 100 horsepower more then today's car.
    Than. And, despite what you believe, in 2004 Champ Car was running the Cosworth XFE. It had 750 base horsepower and under push-to-pass it made 800 horsepower. The rev limit was 12,000rpm.

Let's also remember that when they were running at Laguna this past week the warmest it got was the mid-50's so it wasn't a hot day. Sure the cold weather probably helped with downforce and horsepower but took away from traction. I bet you if the weather was warmer the times would be up.
    Up or down?

What you're notably leaving out of your rumor dissertation are tires. If the Champ Car teams of all those years ago had today's tires they would have set even faster lap times.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    What you're notably leaving out of your rumor dissertation are tires. If the Champ Car teams of all those years ago had today's tires they would have set even faster lap times.
    Yeah, it would be impressive. Good point.

Blog Entries
    Rumors is that the DPO01 record was with the car a max boost and the car trimmed out as much as possible. I'm sure if today's engine was allowed to run full boost and was set up strictly for Laguna Seca the times was drop dramatically.

In 2004, the last time American open wheel was at Laguna Seca, the qualifying times were in the 1:09's so today's car is about as quick as those from 14 years ago. I believe the 2004 Champ Car still had 850 horsepower so they were still 100 horsepower more then today's car. To be honest I don't know how much the track as changed in 14 years but I can't imagine by much even though that is a long time.

smh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    Looks like the Penskes were out to lunch too.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    What rumors? Can you be more specific?

Again, you're relying on some non-specific "rumor." Nonetheless, isn't "trimmed out as much as possible" what every race team does, with any car, when they want to set a fast lap time?
    With a track record lap of only 123mph you think going faster would result from trimming the cars out. Call me crazy, but I'm sure the cars would go even faster at Laguna if they had the old aero kits, which were anything but trimmed out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andretti91 View Post
    smh.....

If there's anything that confuses you or that you disagree with go ahead and ask. Smh doesn't really tell me or anyone anything besides you're scratching your head. Could be dandruff or lice...who knows.