Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Camera for Race Photos

Blog Entries
    iPhone X does amazingly well for a phone:

The OP was seeking advice on a camera, "with the longer lens," that would, "take really good racing photos."

While it is a decent photo, that truck is not far away and it is not racing at high speed.
    Last edited by Spike; 02-11-2019 at 01:05 AM.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Spike makes a good point, almost any camera will take good stills. I struggle to get good racing action photos with my Pentax X-5, part of it is because I suck as a photographer. Here's a photo of Rossi at last years Indy Grand Prix, it's one of the few good ones I took:

[IMG]IMGP0381 by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    The OP was shaking advice advice

Thanks. Fixed.

You won't get pictures like these with an iPhone.

Last edited by Spike; 02-11-2019 at 05:15 AM.

As Spike mentioned, the OP is looking for camera and lens advice.
    As many here have chimed in, there are several factors that one must consider.

I shoot with Canon, and like others have admitted, it takes quite a bit of time and practice to get things the way you want them to turn out. If you can get yourself a decent DSLR, focus on renting a quality lens, preferably 250-300mm. Once you get your technique and style (again, this will take some time) you can turn your attention to post production/editing. I have used Adobe Lightroom for years, and it is well worth it. Lenses and editing software will make a world of difference. The tools are important, but knowing how to use them is key.

With that said, just go out and start shooting, try experimenting with different settings, and just enjoy it. Once you get in the groove, it really is a lot of fun. If you would like any specific advice or have questions, just send me a message and I'll try to help.

Good post and very nice photos, Chad.

Thank you sir, and likewise to you. I like the way your brain and your eyes work.

If only I could get them to work together on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    The vast majority of people don’t shoot with anything near the speed of those lenses. They are also heavy...
    I agree that F2.8 is not 'needed', but the 70-200 F2.8L is probably the most common lens I see at tracks (and is my main goto lens). For something longer I have the 400 F 5.6L And yeah, $250 is unrealistic - that won't even come close to a good lens much less a body and lens.. The body itself is relatively unimportant as any digital SLR by Canon or Nikon in the last 5-10 years will deliver good images - the trick is getting the image on the sensor - that's where lens and photographer come into play.

I spent a few bucks buying some camera stuff and I was totally flying blind. I mentioned it here after the fact (mistake) and MichaelP told me which were my good purchases and where I wasted my money. 10 years of experience have proven that MichaelP knows what he's talking about.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Agreed

Insider
    The best thing to do would be to buy a used DLSR with a kit zoom. Get a big card and up the ISO and shutter speed and shoot away. You would be bound to get some good shots if you took enough. Easily done for $250.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    I am looking to upgrade my camera to one that will take really good racing photos..

What is a good camera with the longer lens that is easy to use and not too expensive?
    Chris, what is the end goal of your photos? Are you looking to post photographs here that compete with some of the great photos posted above? Do you photograph anything outside of racing (family photos, etc) or are you just looking for a decent camera to take to the races to capture moments as a keepsake for you personally? If photography is not a hobby for you (other than taking pictures at races), I would recommend a nice bridge/superzoom camera like the Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ80.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...al_camera.html

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Chris, what is the end goal of your photos? Are you looking to post photographs here that compete with some of the great photos posted above? Do you photograph anything outside of racing (family photos, etc) or are you just looking for a decent camera to take to the races to capture moments as a keepsake for you personally? If photography is not a hobby for you (other than taking pictures at races), I would recommend a nice bridge/superzoom camera like the Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ80.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...al_camera.html
    I take many racing photos each year and I just want to improve the quality of the photos I take. If you are on Facebook I have all my racing photos on my page.

My family photographer for our family portraits suggested this camera to start with:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-R...sChipWIPP4FCec
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Insider
    Perfect. Although you could find something similar way cheaper.

I use Borrow Lens for a long lens when I go to races. Quick, easy, delivery is on time and reasonable price when borrowing a $1500-2000 lens for a weekend. I have a Canon EOS D60 that Ibought in 2011 for about $1800 new with a 35-125 lens.

While I agree the more you spend the better the quality you need to find your best price point. I do it just for fun at a half dozen races a year,a few other events and my kids sporting events. I have a Nikon DS3500 with the standard lense (18-55mm) and a longer lense (70-300mm) and total package cost with extra battery, and a few other things was like $600 bucks on a holiday special.

Is it May yet ?

A good resource for information about consumer digital camera technology is DP Review.

They have an archive of all their testing going back to the early 2000s. Using this info, a prospective buyer can cross-reference the strengths/weaknesses of various systems over the years, leading to a more informed assessment of used equipment.

How does an older Canon Rebel Ti1 with a zoom lense EF75-300mm hold up for taking auto racing photos?
    Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    I take many racing photos each year and I just want to improve the quality of the photos I take. If you are on Facebook I have all my racing photos on my page.

My family photographer for our family portraits suggested this camera to start with:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-R...sChipWIPP4FCec
    That's the kit. That 75-300mm will get you going. It is all you need. Down the road, decide if you wish to upgrade lens. In the mean time, rent an L lens. The quickest, simplest, instant improvement to quality is when you snap an L lens on that Rebel. It's like adding crystal clear drops to a cloudy fish tank.
    That 300mm will serve you better at Pocono and Indy anyhow. That 200mm has limits. It doesn't burn holes in catch fence like a 300mm will. hint.

My quest was to get as close as humanly possible and shoot from the inside. Fencing is an issue.

I haven't maintained it in a couple years. I can't bring up links, ATB73 is still there if you search "People". It's old already and could use editing, but 904 images is alot.
    Last edited by Unzerdog; 02-15-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Unzerdog View Post
    That's the kit. That 75-300mm will get you going. It is all you need. Down the road, decide if you wish to upgrade lens. In the mean time, rent an L lens. The quickest, simplest, instant improvement to quality is when you snap an L lens on that Rebel. It's like adding crystal clear drops to a cloudy fish tank.
    Awesome, i purchased that kit earlier this week

That is awesome. Go for it. Its so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WatsonRoadster9 View Post
    How does an older Canon Rebel Ti1 with a zoom lense EF75-300mm hold up for taking auto racing photos?
    I would bet it's a good start. The downside is lack of anti shake in the lens or camera. Try it, practice and see. You can always rent a lens.

I got the Rebel T6 bundle a couple years back with the 75-300, I'd recommend it to any that is just starting out with DSLR (like myself) also. Took it to the track 3 or 4 times last year, it worked pretty decent for me despite being a newbie. I have to recommend either looking at the second hand market or B&H also

Well, this thread cost me some money. I realized that the Pentax X-5 was just not hacking it for me. Based on Crewcheif's suggestions, I bought a Nikon D5600 along with a 70-300mm Nikkor lense that has Vibration Reduction. $571 from Ted's Electronics. Then I bought a used 18-55 Nikkor lens for vacations.

Chris I'm looking to get ride of my Nikon D-70. I've got a bag, memory and a lens to go with it. It's used but it's server me well.

I took this with it.

My 14 year old son took these.

If you're interested drop me an IM.
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Well, this thread cost me some money. I realized that the Pentax X-5 was just not hacking it for me. Based on Crewcheif's suggestions, I bought a Nikon D5600 along with a 70-300mm Nikkor lense that has Vibration Reduction. $571 from Ted's Electronics. Then I bought a used 18-55 Nikkor lens for vacations.
    Sounds like a plan, it should work fine. Learn the menus and features and practice. When you go the track find some good sight lines.

Practice. Take lots of photos, move closer.

Quote Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
    Sounds like a plan, it should work fine. Learn the menus and features and practice. When you go the track find some good sight lines.

Practice. Take lots of photos, move closer.
    Thank you for the excellent advice.