Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever stay in a bad hotel?

Wow... I haven't been on a 6 week trip since my college days.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
    I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

I took a trip and never left the farm

Plays well with Others
    My wife (girlfriend back in 2008) went on a 3 week trip to Sweden/Denmark during late summer for grad school. Got bed bugs in a hostel over there...She was miserable. This was before global phones so she wrote me, like the old days...when she got back we left her suitcase in the garage, and brought in stuff to the washer with rubber gloves on and set the temp as hot as it would go and used a special detergent. She got them early in the trip and saw a doctor in Helsinki, but still had the bite marks when she got back. Ever since I ALWAYS check the beds in hotels, especially the mattress by the headboard area. I have come back a little itchy at times but not from bed bugs, my guess is I’m allergic to the detergent the hotel uses, or it’s just from hotel rooms being generally dry in the winter.
    "We named the dog Indiana"

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post
    These are hilarious - thanks for sharing.
    Glad someone else likes it. Like a lot of cool things on the internet, I found his YouTube account completely by accident.

Now I watch anything and everything he uploads.
    Live like Dave

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Glad someone else likes it. Like a lot of cool things on the internet, I found his YouTube account completely by accident.

Now I watch anything and everything he uploads.
    I went through four episodes (two from each of the first two seasons) while sorting and cleaning my office today. Loved it and will watch the rest over time.
    Eff LBD!

I checked out the video... Looks like they critique Motels that I would never consider staying in.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    I checked out the video... Looks like they critique Motels that I would never consider staying in.
    I suggested to them on their Facebook page that they switch it up and inspect a really high end hotel to see how good it is

I doubt they would find blood stains or needles under the mattress but you never know.

Blog Entries
    I suggested to them on their Facebook page that they switch it up and inspect a really high end hotel to see how good it is

I doubt they would find blood stains or needles under the mattress but you never know.
    Do toe nails on the floor count, found them at a high end hotel downtown Indy one year.Yuck

We had a hard time finding a room in Boone NC, start of the App St school year was same weekend as the race in Bristol. Arriving at the motel there were several squads parked in front of the office. Wife was in a panic, I went in to check things out and gave her the news, no trouble, just a suicide. Room reeked of stale smoke.
    “Church supper with grandma and granddad, lets go out and have ourselves the best time we ever had" - John Mellencamp

Insider

They'd have to pay a lot more for things they tear apart looking for issues and would likely have to be a lot quieter. Also, they'd probably face legal challenges if they did put up footage from a high end chain.

Quote Originally Posted by mstove View Post
    They'd have to pay a lot more for things they tear apart looking for issues and would likely have to be a lot quieter. Also, they'd probably face legal challenges if they did put up footage from a high end chain.
    All very good points

... --- ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pole Day View Post
    Do toe nails on the floor count, found them at a high end hotel downtown Indy one year.Yuck
    I'll raise you a tampon applicator (or whatever you call those things...) wedged between the toilet tank and bathroom wall.
    ...---...

Insider
    I locked the deadbolt on the door at an Econolodge in Des Moines a few years back. Seemed a bit snug.
    I attempted to go out a few hours later and could not turn the deadbolt. They had to take out the air
    conditioner to let me out and get a new room. Oh, and go to dinner which was the earlier plan.
    "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Blog Entries
    Just a couple years ago in Joliet. In town for a Hoosier tire test at the Autobahn. A $29.99 special. Got there at 10pm, just wanted a shower and a night of shuteye. Watched the MLB All-star game on a fuzzy tube TV. Made sure my car as parked near the front door and anything halfway valuable was out of it. Was up at 6. The neighborhood didn't look any better in the morning than it did late night. Packed up and got the hell outta there.
    "If you see you're gonna miss, grit your teeth."--Evel Knievel

I'm sorry if I left you with the impression that I would only stay at a "high end" motel. Just something better than something they are taking shots at before they've even pulled in. Place looks old a nasty I'm not staying there.

Apparently somewhere along the way my standards elevated beyond ledges inside a Nebraska Rest Area restroom.

But still, if I'm at a Motel something unexpected has happen.

We stayed in fairly nasty one in Grand Marais Michigan. The room was totally wrapped in old wood paneling and was furnished in 1960's furniture. The bathroom was pea green. The tub did not drain quickly so you were in 1 foot of water while taking a shower. The door did not close completely so we could not lock it. It was not air conditioned and it about 85 in the room. Our room was on the second floor at the end of long row of rooms. There were 2 major construction jobs going on in the area, a new road was being built and a breakwater was under construction in the bay. This resulted in dozens of drunk construction workers walking by our open door & window till about 3 in the morning when the bars closed. We had our dog with us and she barked at them all night. The work on breakwater started before dawn so we got about 3 hours of sleep. The sad thing is that we were looking forward staying there. We saw the place from the outside on previous trips and it looked nice.

I've stayed in that flea bag Red Roof Inn right down the street from the Speedway a few times, but it was just me and the boys, i wouldn't take my girlfriend there though

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by m500 View Post
    I've stayed in that flea bag Red Roof Inn right down the street from the Speedway a few times, but it was just me and the boys, i wouldn't take my girlfriend there though
    We used to stay at the motel six in that same location. No way I would have considered bringing my wife there.

Yeah that area is was little rough, but it was close to the track

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by m500 View Post
    Yeah that area is was little rough, but it was close to the track
    We stayed there 4-5 years after spending years driving and parking. It was fine for our needs, but definitely weird on Thursday night when more regulars were still there. The last time we were there, the lady next door (she got to stay)was living out of her car and the motel. She was maybe 60 or so and talking to her we realized she was really smart but had addiction issues. Mostly, I think gambling was her biggest vice, but along with that alcohol was probably a secondary issue. She was a really nice person to talk with and it was just sad. I hope things went well for her, but I suspect not.

Blog Entries
    Upstate New York back in the 90's I stayed at a dive. Room smelled of cigarette smoke, the beds sagged, and the 70's vintage carpet had a huge brown stain about 4 feet in diameter (probably remnants of a roof leak, I hope). To this day, if I'm staying anywhere less than a four-star, I wear flip-flops in the room. Good advice!

People have settle for a lot worse... To be close to the track.

Insider
    I've stayed at hundreds of hotels over the years in Canada, the US, and Europe, generally when travelling on business, and I've had the normal but relatively rare experiences of thin walls, over-sexed neighboring guests, dirty rooms, cockroaches, noisy bars just below you, inadequate or non-existent parking for rental cars ( especially in Europe ), terrible food, rude staff, nearby construction noises, language barriers , and whatever, but most hotel/motel stays have been pretty good, especially when dealing with the larger chains.

However

I once checked into a hotel in the centre of Bordeaux, France and discovered that there was no toilet seat in the bathroom. When I went to the front desk to register my dismay, the receptionist could speak very little English or even French but managed to inform me that the toilet seat had been removed to replace a missing seat in another room and that she wasn't sure where she could obtain a replacement for me, since the maintenance person was off for the weekend. Unwilling to be the last person on the game of musical thrones, I convinced her to let me enter a room that was booked for later that evening but had not yet been occupied and with a wrench which she supplied, I removed that toilet seat and installed it in my room. I have no idea who the poor unfortunate was who ultimately ended up without a seat, but I was reasonably content with the fact that it wasn't me. I should note that I have been in Bordeaux a dozen times or so, often for a week or so at a time, and that was the only time I had any strange occurrences in a hotel.

Also

I once stayed in a hotel near an airport where a British military unit was based. There was also a biker headquarters in the town and the bikers and the British military flight crews did not have a healthy relationship, which lead to frequent confrontations in the hotel bar. The bar, or at least the female bar patrons, had some other positive charms , so I sometimes stayed there despite the animosity which occasionally surfaced. On one particular night I had gone to bed when, at about 2:30 or so , a fight which had started in the bar, spread to the hall outside my room and after several loud and spectacular bangs against the walls outside, two bodies hurtled through the door of my room, tearing the door completely off the hinges, and landing on the bed, in which I was no longer asleep. Unexpectedly and fortunately, the two combatants, a biker in full colors and a British airman in uniform, were as surprised as I was and they sheepishly apologized before buggering off to continue the fight elsewhere. I suppose I shouldn't have been but I actually was surprised to find out how difficult it is to get a night manager of a small hotel to figure out how to deal with a disgruntled guest at three in the morning when there is no door on his room, no competent carpenter on call, and no other rooms available. Interesting!

But

The only really bad experience I have had in a hotel took place on a vacation, when I was with my wife, my then 10 year old daughter, and my then 10 year old niece, in a town on this island of Newfoundland, about 1000 kilometers from my home ( yeah, this is a relatively big island ) It was like a scene out of a horror movie, complete with a hunch-backed old servant, a seemingly abandoned building which turned out to be the hotel, inedible breakfast food, no towels or bed-sheets, a musty and creepy common room, a cannabis-grow operation, a crazy and unfriendly dog, and a very strange owner/operator who went to jail a year or so later. It ultimately ended up as just an interesting memory but my daughter and my niece, who are now both 21, always refer to it as the creepiest experience of their lives.

In closing

One of the weirdest place I ever slept was in a rock cave by the side of a road in northern Italy, with swirling bats, a lightning storm, and a damaged church steeple creating a decidedly Hitchcockian ambience, but that was in an era where choices did not include hotels, though it has always affected my interpretation of what constitutes acceptable accommodations.

Blog Entries
    Shell and I stayed in a hotel outside of Madison, IN while there for a cave trip, circa 1992 (pre-marriage.) The bathroom light bulb was dangling from a bare wire and the lamp next to the bed had a three-way bulb in it of which only the dimmest setting worked. The carpet appeared to be at least vacuumed but was mostly two distinct stains; one water, one...something else. The room reeked of cigarettes, which I at least could live with because I was still smoking heavily then myself. Worst of all was the bed, which seemed to have an enormous hollow in the center of it which meant that no matter where we tried to lay, we would inevitably end up on top of one another. Which, being as we were still a very young couple, was pretty much where we wanted to be anyway. The redeeming memory of this trip was that we woke up to snow the next morning, and it even made the roach trap in which we'd just spent the night seem gorgeous.

The cave we'd travelled 200 miles to see was in flood so we went to Clifty Falls, which, also being in flood, was spectacular. Also we discovered what is still one of our favorite restaurants, The Pines.
    The year of the pig is off to a great start with certain swine being rounded up and presumably set to squeal. George Takei

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

A long time ago, on a short vacation with my parents, the only room dad could find, the radio (no TV) you to put in a quarter every 15 minutes, and the couple in the next room argued and the walls were so thin it was like being in the room with them.

Plays well with Others
    One more I forgot...not necessarily bad but just different. Our company had a banner 2007 and treated us all to a trip to Rome (small sales force, about 160 across the US at the time). We stayed at the Waldorf on the west side of Rome. Just stunning. Unfortunately we couldn’t bring family until after the “official” meeting concluded (so they could write it off as a business expense). The rates to stay after were outrageous enough, like $600 USD a night or so. It just so happened we were there during the fall 2008 stock market/housing market crash. That was the week Lehman Bros, Bear Stearns and all the stuff went down as we watched in awe on Sky/CNN. Oof. The exchange rate went crazy and suddenly everything cost a LOT more. I flew my wife over after and we met at the Waldorf, but I had booked us a week at the Best Western Roma Globus. It was virtually on the campus of the University of Rome (I think it was called that)....it was nice enough, but man, SMALL. It was like staying in a closet, especially compared to the Westerner-friendly Waldorf. The tv was a tiny tube tv that got one or two English channels, one being Sky out of the UK. We didnt spend much time in the room as we were out seeing the sights. At night I just read a book and had a beer or two before bed. Oh and I burned my butt on the bidet when I had the water too hot. We had some great memories, but the hotel was especially interesting.

Insider
    I have a couple: a hotel in San Marcos, TX had wildlife, bugs outside and a lizard inside. The other one was in Cheyenne, WY. The room and hotel weren't bad(not great either), but it was too close to a grade crossing on the busy Union Pacific mainline, so train horns were going off all night.

mclarke wins the thread, a lot of awesome stories!

Quote Originally Posted by mattbholland View Post
    One more I forgot...not necessarily bad but just different. Our company had a banner 2007 and treated us all to a trip to Rome (small sales force, about 160 across the US at the time). We stayed at the Waldorf on the west side of Rome. Just stunning.
    On the hill overlooking Rome / Vatican City, with priceless artwork everywhere (old master style), Michelin star restaraunt on the top floor, and beautiful grounds with trails, etc, I lucked out and stayed there too. It’s the best hotel I’ve ever set foot in, bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamski View Post
    The cave we'd travelled 200 miles to see was in flood so we went to Clifty Falls, which, also being in flood, was spectacular. Also we discovered what is still one of our favorite restaurants, The Pines.
    I love Madison but never heard of The Pines. Looks good. If you ever go back make sure you try Hinkle's

Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs