Thread: Bringing The Swedish Audience To Indycar

Blog Entries

Bringing The Swedish Audience To Indycar

Marshall Pruett did a short video with Marcus Ericsson on RACER's Youtbue chanel and asked him the effects on Swedish open wheel fans now that there are two Swedish drivers in Indycar. Marcus said that many of his fans have continued following him and that many Swedes are now following Indycar. I was curious and read some of the comments below the Youtube video and one comment said that the Swedish Indycar page had more fans now then the F1 counterpart which amazed me.

Here's the link to the Swedish Indycar page.... https://www.facebook.com/groups/552193388554538/

Yes, we're not talking about millions or even tens of thousands of fans but the FB page does have 6,000+ members which isn't too bad. It is amazing how a couple of drivers can change things in such a short time.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    Marshall Pruett did a short video with Marcus Ericsson on RACER's Youtbue chanel and asked him the effects on Swedish open wheel fans now that there are two Swedish drivers in Indycar. Marcus said that many of his fans have continued following him and that many Swedes are now following Indycar. I was curious and read some of the comments below the Youtube video and one comment said that the Swedish Indycar page had more fans now then the F1 counterpart which amazed me.

Here's the link to the Swedish Indycar page.... https://www.facebook.com/groups/552193388554538/

Yes, we're not talking about millions or even tens of thousands of fans but the FB page does have 6,000+ members which isn't too bad. It is amazing how a couple of drivers can change things in such a short time.
    Maybe even hundreds of millions. Just kidding, I like Ericsson. I have a feeling he's going to be the next Kenny Brack. It should be fun, very likable personality. We are about a month out before they fire up the engines in St Pete...Can't wait.

if he brings a large following, perhaps in a few years, we could have a GP of Sweden

No F1 race there, so it's a market we could capture first

Yngwie Malmsteen to Indy Car. You heard it here first.
    Get your head out of your past!!!

I believe you meant to say, "Would you welcome, Yngwie Malmsteen?" Or perhaps the Abba guy who raced F3. He probably wouldn't have the worst CV Indycar racing has seen in the last 25 years.

Seriously, if NTT can get into business with Tetra Laval through Ericsson it would certainly help their ROI calculation on the series entitlement sponsorship.

Anderstorp Raceway has an FIA Grade 2 rating... Just sayin'.

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    What sort of TV coverage might they get in Sweden this year?
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

It's not hockey....
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Quote Originally Posted by Stick500 View Post
    What sort of TV coverage might they get in Sweden this year?
    I believe ViaSat got the rights for Sweden and one or two other Nordic countries recently.
    NE Vista Vulture
    2005, 2008-Present

Mid-Ohio Turn 5
    2016-2017

Indy GP Turns 1 & 2
    2017-Present

St. Petersburg Turn 10

Quote Originally Posted by ChampCarRay View Post
    Anderstorp Raceway has an FIA Grade 2 rating... Just sayin'.
    Very limited racing on Anderstorp these days as annoying people have moved in next doors and are filing noice complaints everytime there's a car on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    It's not hockey....
    Racing is very much a niche sport when it comes to media attention in Sweden. It had its glory days in the 70's with Ronnie Peterson and after his death it wasn't really considered a sport anymore.

The public opinion -- beyond the racing fans -- of Marcus Ericsson is that he's pretty much an embarrassment since he didn't win any races in those Caterham and Sauber cars. The media coverage of an F1 race is "Lewis Hamilton won, Marcus Ericsson finished 11th.". The media coverage of IndyCar (outside of Viasat's coverage) will probably be limited to a short clip of the winner crossing the finishing line of the Indy 500 (or if there's a serious incident).

Good luck building any of these European fanbases now that all the extra previously free Youtube content will be locked behind the paywall...I honestly don't mind paying for it but it's really going to kill the series' momentum in attracting an international audience.

Citizen of Hinchtown evil.hEiNz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlambertson View Post
    Good luck building any of these European fanbases now that all the extra previously free Youtube content will be locked behind the paywall...I honestly don't mind paying for it but it's really going to kill the series' momentum in attracting an international audience.
    Do we know that for sure? Haven't heard anything like that, could be that they just make it unavailable in NA but not anywhere else. That would be ideal, but I don't necessarily think that that's what they're gonna do.

Blog Entries
    Saab to indycar, you heard it here first....

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    Is Saab still in business?

No. The remains of the company were sold to a Chinese consortium a number of years ago with the stated intent being to build electric cars based on SAAB platforms. In more recent times another company bought into the entity that bought SAAB.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Red5 View Post
    Wouldn't that be nice. Bring back the 3-cylinder 2-strokes!

There's always Volvo (even if it is actually Chinese owned now).
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Milton View Post
    Is Saab still in business?
    SAAB the Swedish automaker, no. SAAB the Swedish aerospace company that makes Gripen jet fighters, yes.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

6000 member facebook group hoot hoot

Gustav Malja?

Slightly off-topic but cool and racing related: Scandinavian Hot Rods... VIDEO

Quote Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
    Gustav Malja?
    Look like he's pursuing the GT route now. Seems set for a second season of Porsche Supercup.