Thread: Ford GT going privateer

Good for Ben to make this happen. I wonder if Bill Riley and their GTD team will be running this program? Seems like a logical fit since Riley and Multimatic have previously worked together on the P2 side. I think the GT is a great car, so I hope this opens the door to continue running as a privateer in GTE and GTLM after this year.

With Ford and BMW evaluating potential DPi opportunities, I do hope that a privateer GTLM market opens up to keep the class viable in lieu of new manufacturers coming in.

At this point, the Ford GT is a one race deal, Le Mans, for Ben and company and it's in the GTE Am category (not GTE Pro).
    No mention of a possibility of IMSA GTLM participation...though a private GTLM entry would appear to be plausible.

Several ways to interpret this. It may be a first step towards additional GTE Am cars if Ford decides to end the factory WEC GTE Pro ranks. And/or a prelude to moving from GTLM to DPi in IMSA. Or it may just be a change in philosophy to enter the GTE Am ranks.

In any case, good on Ben and company, hope it leads to some success in the GTE Am category at Le Mans.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Powercat View Post
    I wonder if Bill Riley and their GTD team will be running this program?
    pretty sure mutimatic is done with bill's flops.
    makes more sense to have chip's imsa guys fly in & run the car.
    ben can afford that.

Here's some info.
    https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...r-opportunity/

The Texan will team up with longtime co-driver Jeroen Bleekemolen and Silver-rated Felipe Fraga in the GTE-Am class Ford, which will feature a “consortium” of personnel from Riley Motorsports, Chip Ganassi Racing, Multimatic and Ford Performance.
    As Ben notes
    “Everybody’s helping out in their own way,” Keating said. “I think I would be hard-pressed to be successful in the car without [Ford’s] experience.
    Interesting that Ben is reported to have purchased the car, rather than a lease agreement, given that at this point, it's a one off race entry.
    And some speculation that additional WEC outings may be in the offing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester View Post
    Interesting that Ben is reported to have purchased the car
    pretty sure he purchased the riley lmp2 car to do a one off at le mans also.

Looks like Ben might have an interesting garage of cars to visit...

More info on the privateer GTE Am effort.
    https://racer.com/2019/02/19/keating...-gt-adventure/