Thread: The Grand Tour - Jim Clark

Rocky Mountain High

The Grand Tour - Jim Clark

If you have the Amazon Prime video service I recommend that you watch the latest episode of The Grand Tour (season 3, episode 5). The final sement is a tribute to Jim Clark. I didn't realize how good the guy really was.

I now understand why he was Dario's hero.

Citizen of Hinchtown evil.hEiNz's Avatar
    Same thing, definitely recommend it. I knew he was a hell of a driver skill-wise, but never knew about his 1965 season - I don't think anyone is ever gonna beat that. That segment certainly made me appreciate him a lot more than I already did.

It was a terrific spot; Mario too talks about him in an interview/driving tour of Nazareth with Peter Windsor. Both that interview and Hammond's excellent piece on the Grand Tour make it plain that not only was Jim Clark a great and legendary race driver but a terrific and loved human being too. IBiI

Insider
    The piece really took liberties with the story of Jim Clark at Indy.

In a nutshell, Hammond made it seem like Clark showed up and won. No mention of it being his third 500 that he won.

Well, if JC wasn't so convincing about Parnelli's oil leak he would have just showed up and won.

If you can find some of the old F1 footage on Youtube or the Duke DVDs, Clark was simply amazing against some really great drivers. The racecraft is some of the all time best.
    And don't forget the heat!

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    The piece really took liberties with the story of Jim Clark at Indy.

In a nutshell, Hammond made it seem like Clark showed up and won. No mention of it being his third 500 that he won.
    He was isolating 1965 at that point of the piece.
    "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
    He was isolating 1965 at that point of the piece.
    He mentioned Clark having to take a Rookie Test, that didn't happen in 1965; and he made it sound like Clark was being picked on for being European for having to take a Rookie Test (also not true).

Quote Originally Posted by dwaldrep51 View Post
    He mentioned Clark having to take a Rookie Test, that didn't happen in 1965; and he made it sound like Clark was being picked on for being European for having to take a Rookie Test (also not true).
    I found that annoying also. I think Mansell bitched also and he was told, it doesn't matter who you are, you need to take the test.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Quote Originally Posted by dwaldrep51 View Post
    As you state everybody took a Rookie Test; even Fangio in 1958.

Clark actually took his Rookie Test at Indianapolis in October of 1962 a couple of days after winning the U.S. Grand Prix at Watkins Glen. And he took the test in the Lotus-Climax Formula One car that his teammate Trevor Taylor had raced at The Glen.

USAC conducted the test just like they would have done in May with veteran drivers called in to observe in the turns and with the electric eye timing equipment set up at the starting line. A.J. Foyt was one of the drivers who served as an observer and coach for Clark.

Clark did not have to take any test during May in 1963 and was ready to go from the day he arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    I found that annoying also. I think Mansell bitched also and he was told, it doesn't matter who you are, you need to take the test.
    I don't recall Mansell complaining about having to do the on-track test. After all, USAC excused him from the Rookie Orientation Program based on his experience and Nigel breezed through the observed on-track test sessions which only served to give him some seat time in the car and to learn the track.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Mansell complained to the extent I'd consider it outright "bitching" outside the infield care center after Vitolo parked on top of his head and spilled radiator fluid down his back. He offered to turn in his Super License while sitting on a golf cart. And rightfully so.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I generally liked the piece, but it was not entirely accurate as many here have pointed out....... I have always gotten the impression that Clark himself was well received although Lotus was regarded with some skepticism (which, I think, was well deserved given Chapman's general design philosophy and his less than stellar reputation for building safe cars even in Europe....)