Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Pato O´Ward out of Harding Steinbrenner Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Joeremi View Post
    I'm not sure a Mexican driver being popular at the RoC in Mexico is a quage of anything having to do with IC.
    In ideal world it would though. IndyCar should be destination for most potential and popular drivers around the world but as long as it is not priority it continues to be niche American sport when it could be niche international sport like in the past.

O'Ward got a big reception in Mexico because he's Mexican. That's not a terribly important marker of how enthusiastic IC should be about him. Personally I think it's great if he stays here and does well, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if it didn't work out.

O'Ward got a big reception in Mexico because he's Mexican. That's not a terribly important marker of how enthusiastic IC should be about him. Personally I think it's great if he stays here and does well, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if it didn't work out.
    And CART got huge reception when they went to Mexico because Fernandez got himself a ride in the 90’s. Major beer and telecom sponsors funded six drivers and they had two teams at one point. Now none. The point is Mexicans are enthusiastic motorsport fans but IndyCar has done nothing to tap into that market. I would much rather have one driver from that market than yet another rich kid who doesn’t get people cheeribg anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    The idea that these “kids” are hunting down sponsorship is bs. Most of them are either somehow related to, or connected to support through their parents.. Yes, they all work on their public speaking and glad handing, but I don’t think Colton Herta has been successful finding support due to his super efforts, but more likely due to his access to benefactors through his father and his father’s connections. Nothing against that, but that’s how it works. This is the same way the “European” kids have been doing it - on family connections and wealth.
    Ah, the ever-convenient excuse....
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    No kidding. If these fans were right then everyone with a famous name related to Indycar would in Indycar at the moment but that's not the case. I do agree that it may open more doors but not at the rate or the number as some may suggest.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    No kidding. If these fans were right then everyone with a famous name related to Indycar would in Indycar at the moment but that's not the case. I do agree that it may open more doors but not at the rate or the number as some may suggest.

Maybe they need talent and connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    And CART got huge reception when they went to Mexico because Fernandez got himself a ride in the 90’s. Major beer and telecom sponsors funded six drivers and they had two teams at one point. Now none. The point is Mexicans are enthusiastic motorsport fans but IndyCar has done nothing to tap into that market. I would much rather have one driver from that market than yet another rich kid who doesn’t get people cheeribg anywhere.
    I agree with everything until you imply Herta wouldn't "get people cheering anywhere." You're assuming that Bryan Herta's legacy in IC would in no way extend to his kid in a car, and that's ludicrous. Come on, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Fury View Post
    So your view is Colton got his ride through his charming personality and hard work pounding the pavement? I understand he’s done well in the car, but clearly better than Pato? Not his father’s and other connections?

i call bs on that. If his father wasn’t Bryan Herta we might have never heard of him.

IMHO he’s not that impressive in interviews. He’s got a bit of his dad’s mannerisms.

I agree with everything until you imply Herta wouldn't "get people cheering anywhere." You're assuming that Bryan Herta's legacy in IC would in no way extend to his kid in a car, and that's ludicrous. Come on, man.
    What exactly is Herta’s legacy - that he go passed by Zanardi in the corkscrew and conveniently spun at Sonoma to get Marco his first win? That’s what comes to mind for me.

2 wins - same as Marco.

What exactly is Herta’s legacy - that he go passed by Zanardi in the corkscrew and conveniently spun at Sonoma to get Marco his first win? That’s what comes to mind for me.

2 wins - same as Marco.
    He won four races. Two at Laguna in the Shell car, MIS in the XM car, and Kansas when he was subbing for Franchitti. He was a good, not great, driver in a very competitive era, who also happened to have a lot of bad luck. Colton no doubt benefitted from Bryan's connections, but he earned his ride in the IndyCar series.

Quote Originally Posted by Packer487 View Post
    He won four races. Two at Laguna in the Shell car, MIS in the XM car, and Kansas when he was subbing for Franchitti. He was a good, not great, driver in a very competitive era, who also happened to have a lot of bad luck. Colton no doubt benefitted from Bryan's connections, but he earned his ride in the IndyCar series.
    I stand corrected, I only counted his CART results, in addition he had two IRL wins - so better than Marco.

2 wins - same as Marco.
    I thought I'd seen everything, but a Herta hater is definitely new for me. That's just weird.

I thought I'd seen everything, but a Herta hater is definitely new for me. That's just weird.
    I don’t “hate” Herta. There is no need to make this a hate thread. I’m not super impressed by Colton and I have a view about how this works. Give me a break.

Bull. You couldn't even sort out how many races Bryan won and every time I've mentioned that he's a known name in IC you've dismissed him. The fact remains that the average IC fan is going to be more invested in a legacy driver than O'Ward. Whether you like it or not.

Bull. You couldn't even sort out how many races Bryan won and every time I've mentioned that he's a known name in IC you've dismissed him. The fact remains that the average IC fan is going to be more invested in a legacy driver than O'Ward. Whether you like it or not.
    It's nonsense. How many average IC fans are investing in a legacy driver Marco Andretti instead of noname Rossi? You're just painting everyone with the same color, speaking for a large group of people while have no idea about their opinion and it's not right at all. You're a Bryan Herta fan and you'd prefer a guy with Herta surname to anyone else no matter how talented both guys are, it dawned on us already.

But reality was declared in the post above and it says: O'Ward is head s and tails above Herta. Pato destroyed Colton in Lights and completely eclipsed him in their IC debut, that's why he deserves full-time ride much more. Deal with it.
    Nastalgia & headache.

I stand corrected, I only counted his CART results, in addition he had two IRL wins - so better than Marco.
    Bryan Herta has two 500 wins as a strategist. Wheldon and Rossi. Bryan Herta's legacy extends far beyond the cockpit. He is a genius. I'd also say that he is better than Michael at calling strategy, unless you want to come up a lap short.
    Last edited by Unzerdog; 02-11-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

O'Ward is really, really good. It would be a big loss if he's not able to get a FT ride.

And I 100% agree with the comments about IndyCar doing a poor job at connecting to the Mexican market. It seems like such a natural fit. They should be focused there more than Brazil, Uraguay, etc.

Pato O´Ward out of Harding Steinbrenner Racing

Ouch.

"#IndyCar Confirma @PatricioOWard su separación de @FollowHSRacing. "Ahora, estoy completamente enfocado en encontrar la oportunidad correcta y cómo voy a usar mi beca de Indy Lights para 2019"."

https://twitter.com/EOlmos/status/1094984287919648770

very strange situation all around. so much hype at the end of last season for this expanded 2 car team. appears it was all based on the HOPE of an ability to expand.
    All Roads Lead to Indy...

Looks not official... Oh, wait, it's on Pato's Facebook. Well, best of luck to him in searching of a good ride.
    Last edited by The Gary Møøse Show; 02-11-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nospheratez View Post
    Looks not official...
    Confirmed per O'Ward's official Facebook account: https://www.facebook.com/37281042940...9734747716620/

To Carlin maybe?
    Sitting president of the "Sato Forever Faithful Fanclub"

PATRICIO O’WARD AND HARDING STEINBRENNER RACING AGREE TO PART WAYS
    For Immediate Distribution
    Austin, Texas - February 11, 2019 - Patricio O'Ward and Harding Steinbrenner Racing have decided to part ways in advance of the 2019 season of the NTT IndyCar Series.
    Patricio O'Ward
    "The Harding Steinbrenner Racing team supported my decision to seek a new opportunity by releasing me from my contract and allowing me the opportunity to find a new team before the start of the 2019 season. Now, I am fully focused on finding the right opportunity and how I will use my scholarship from Indy Lights for 2019."

Citizen of Hinchtown evil.hEiNz's Avatar
    MP confirms it as well. Man, that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Muffins View Post
    To Carlin maybe?
    Obvious variant, but part time in a third Coyne car seems more legit to me.

All the signs were pointing to something like this happening. Probably his best bet to run with a more-established team than HSR if he was only going to run the 3 guaranteed scholarship races.
    NE Vista Vulture
    2005, 2008-Present

Mid-Ohio Turn 5
    2016-2017

Indy GP Turns 1 & 2
    2017-Present

St. Petersburg Turn 10

What about Juncos? Ride share with Kaiser?

Is there a chance, he has some traction with another team? Why else announce the formal separation at this time.

Citizen of Hinchtown evil.hEiNz's Avatar
    You would think he'd be a hot prospect after winning the Lights title and especially his strong performance at Sonoma.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRob View Post
    Why else announce the formal separation at this time.
    With under a month until the season starts, no reason for him to be associated with HSR anymore if he is not moving forward with them. It is in his best interest to be a clear free agent.
    Hi! I'm the owner and editor of Open-Wheels.com. Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook! If you would like to discuss racing or opportunities with the website, feel free to contact me on here or by e-mail at tanner@open-wheels.com.

Quote Originally Posted by evil.hEiNz View Post
    You would think he'd be a hot prospect after winning the Lights title and especially his strong performance at Sonoma.
    Unfortunately today, you still have to bring money. Kaiser won the Lights championship last season and it certainly didn't guarantee him a full-ride to IndyCar. The same is happening with O'Ward.