Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Pato O´Ward out of Harding Steinbrenner Racing

Insider
    Tecate is also owned by Heineken. I don't think they're quite the same brand that they used to be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeremi View Post
    I agree that it sounds like Pato's funding fell through. This is both an opinion and speculation. Have a nice day.

Either that or he never found a sponsor at all.

I was listening again to O'Ward's podcast with Marshall Pruett less then a month ago and at about the 37 min mark he starts to talk about looking for sponsors and how he's traveling to Mexico City to see what happens. From the way he talks it seemed as if, at least on his end, he was still short of making a full season work. He did say that he expected to test in February but obviously that's not going to happen anymore.

From reading various articles and listening to podcast it seems O'Ward had a large burden of finding sponsors. How much Harding was suppose to help out - who knows. It seems as though Steinbrenner was also looking for sponsors to support the team but his main concern was Colton and not O'Ward. When O'Ward couldn't find the funds it seems as if O'Ward decided to cut ties with the team and not the other way around from he way this quote is worded...

"The Harding Steinbrenner Racing team supported my decision to seek a new opportunity by releasing me from my contract and allowing me the opportunity to find a new team before the start of the 2019 season. Now, I am fully focused on finding the right opportunity and how I will use my scholarship from Indy Lights for 2019."
    To me it feels as if O'Ward didn't feel he was getting the best out of this relationship and went out on his own which I applaud.

I know that Rahal Letterman helped out Indy Lights champs in the past and that could be an option. I'm afraid if he drives for Juncos or Carlin he'll be wasting his money. To be honest I hope he ends up at Dale Coyne. Dale may have a small team but they also have a record of being miracle workers and doing the most with the least.
    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Jim Ayello@jimayello 3m3 minutes agoMore

Just talked to @PatricioOWard. "Totally bummed." One of the most stressful times of his life. "I have nothing right now."
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Well that's not good. He seems like a nice kid and he's fast, but you gotta have cash to make the jump from Lights. I just don't see another seat for him, the one he was going to run isn't even going to be on the track.

I am sure he will have a ride for a few races this year.. He has that bonus to use
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Well that's not good. He seems like a nice kid and he's fast, but you gotta have cash to make the jump from Lights. I just don't see another seat for him, the one he was going to run isn't even going to be on the track.
    Are lights champions allowed to stay in lights?
    Sitting president of the "Sato Forever Faithful Fanclub"

I don't think so. The series isn't designed to have a driver get great at it and keep winning titles.

What an unprofessional team is @FollowHSRacing !!This should not happen IndyCar. They have done the same with me last year. Mike Harding shake my hand at the end of 2017 and say " welcome to the team, your team mate will be @GabbyChaves" I hope I found a ride soon @PatricioOWard

Quote Originally Posted by nospheratez View Post
    He broke his hand as a result of psychological pressure which he was not able to take. I remember that weekend at Toronto very well, Colton's performance was just pitiful.
    Michael Andretti thinks this opinion is wrong

Michael AndrettiVerified account @michaelandretti 18m18 minutes agoMore

Michael Andretti Retweeted Martin Davis
    So not true, Colton was leading the championship until he broke his wrist at Toronto. He is every bit as fast as Pato.

Martin Davis@dvsmrtyFollowFollow
    @dvsmrty

More

Replying to @PitlaneParley
    What a shame, Herta is a back marker and the only read he’s going full time is because of his name. CH gets a fully funded ride after getting SMASHED by Pato all season! SMH

ohh boy
    Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

See... This is why real men don't tweet.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
    I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    What an unprofessional team is @FollowHSRacing !!This should not happen IndyCar. They have done the same with me last year. Mike Harding shake my hand at the end of 2017 and say " welcome to the team, your team mate will be @GabbyChaves" I hope I found a ride soon @PatricioOWard
    Talk about opening a can of worms. The more I hear about Harding the more of crook I imagine him to be or at least he sounds like a person that likes to count his chicks before they hatch.

Blog Entries

A dishonest person making empty promises in racing?!?!? That's a first.

That really sucks. What is kind of funny is that I (and many others) think that Harding himself has been taken for a ride with all these extensive managerial hirings. Sounds like that team is all over the place in regards to planning and money allocation.

As for TECATE, they were the official beer of the Long beach GP, but last year took a step back. Modelo (owned 50% by annheiser-busch) was the official beer last year. When I spoke to a LBGP employee about the beer change, they said that fan's were really asking for more beer selection and Modelo and other A-B products could provide it.

Tecate was blowing a reported 9million on the LBGP after they dropped Adrian. I would hope they could help Pato out with some cash.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-holder."

15G. Rahal
    5 J. Hinchcliffe
    18. S Bourdais
    98 A. Rossi

Cant argue with him. I've not seen anything to suggest Harding runs a professional outfit.

Burn those bridges

Blog Entries
    They should change their name to Team FYRE.

Blog Entries
    O'Ward got a big reception in Mexico because he's Mexican. That's not a terribly important marker of how enthusiastic IC should be about him. Personally I think it's great if he stays here and does well, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if it didn't work out.
    He was also in front of a lot of eyeballs from series all over the world and got reaction from far more than just the Mexican fans in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by RTS7 View Post
    Cant argue with him. I've not seen anything to suggest Harding runs a professional outfit.
    They screwed Gabby, Pato, and apparently Santi as well. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt but I've pretty much lost all respect for Harding at this point. I still wish Colton well as I'm a fan of his, but I hope that the team is eventually completely ran and owned by the Steinbrenners
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Michael Andretti thinks this opinion is wrong

Michael AndrettiVerified account @michaelandretti 18m18 minutes agoMore

Michael Andretti Retweeted Martin Davis
    So not true, Colton was leading the championship until he broke his wrist at Toronto. He is every bit as fast as Pato.

Martin Davis@dvsmrtyFollowFollow
    @dvsmrty

More

Replying to @PitlaneParley
    What a shame, Herta is a back marker and the only read he’s going full time is because of his name. CH gets a fully funded ride after getting SMASHED by Pato all season! SMH
    I swear, that it's not me!

What did you expect to hear from Michael, who called B.Herta "part of the family"? Yes, Colton was leading the championship, but why did he crashed multiple times that weekend? Why Pato, who was chasing - didn't? Why O'Ward earned 9 wins, 9 poles and clinched the championship in his debut year, while Herta earned just 3 poles, 4 wins in his second year in the same equipment as Pato's? Why at Sonoma Pato made the top six in qauly and finished 9th in the race while Herta was 19th in qualy and finished 20th in the race despite additional day of testing at the track?

Because Pato is much faster, than Colton. You just can't deny the facts. I'm tired to repeat this over and over again.

No hate or any negative for Colton, it's the system itself, when guys like P.Fittipaldi are enjoying solid mexican sponsorship, while guys like O'Ward are always on the werge of ending their careers because of lack of money.
    Nastalgia & headache.

I swear, that it's not me!

What did you expect to hear from Michael, who called B.Herta "part of the family"? Yes, Colton was leading the championship, but why did he crashed multiple times that weekend? Why Pato, who was chasing - didn't? Why O'Ward earned 9 wins, 9 poles and clinched the championship in his debut year, while Herta earned just 3 poles, 4 wins in his second year in the same equipment as Pato's? Why at Sonoma Pato made the top six in qauly and finished 9th in the race while Herta was 19th in qualy and finished 20th in the race despite additional day of testing at the track?

Because Pato is much faster, than Colton. You just can't deny the facts. I'm tired to repeat this over and over again.

No hate or any negative for Colton, it's the system itself, when guys like P.Fittipaldi are enjoying solid mexican sponsorship, while guys like O'Ward are always on the werge of ending their careers because of lack of money.
    He was responding to someone else on twitter but I think his answer is also good here

Michael AndrettiVerified account @michaelandrettiFollowFollow
    @michaelandretti

More

Michael Andretti Retweeted Andrew C
    Don’t need to get into it but there were reasons why @ColtonHerta was not on Pato’s pace at Sonoma. I had no more vested interest in Colton then I did Pato. I wanted them both to win last year!

[FONT="]
    Santiago UrrutiaVerified account @Santi_UrrutiaFollowFollow
    @Santi_Urrutia

More

[/FONT]
    [FONT="]What an unprofessional team is @FollowHSRacing !!This should not happen IndyCar. They have done the same with me last year. Mike Harding shake my hand at the end of 2017 and say " welcome to the team, your team mate will be @GabbyChaves" I hope I found a ride soon @PatricioOWard
    [/FONT]
    If Urrutia had the funds he would be in a car..

Ayello followed up on his convo with Pato that Pato had other offers before settling on H/S. So that it makes it hurt even worse.

He was responding to someone else on twitter but I think his answer is also good here

Michael AndrettiVerified account @michaelandrettiFollowFollow
    @michaelandretti

More

Michael Andretti Retweeted Andrew C
    Don’t need to get into it but there were reasons why @ColtonHerta was not on Pato’s pace at Sonoma. I had no more vested interest in Colton then I did Pato. I wanted them both to win last year!
    Yeah, don't need to get into it... Pato was just faster.

To be honest, I don't like all these "attacks" on Michael in Twitter. Michael is a hero in this situation. He gave O'Ward a chance to shine and me personally very grateful to him for all he did and is doing for the sport. Great man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Muffins View Post
    Are lights champions allowed to stay in lights?
    There's no rule against it

O'Wardneves.

Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Mackey View Post
    There's no rule against it
    But do they get to keep the $1,000,000 bonus if they don't at least run the Indy 500?

Blog Entries
    Isn't the $1M "bonus" only good towards a ride in Indycars?

It is, and the series pays it (in whatever form) directly to the team the driver lands with. It's not as though the young driver gets a million dollar check to put in his bank account.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Skywalker View Post
    Pato is under the legal drinking age in the United States... so a beer sponsor is out of the question.
    As long as he’s over 18 I wouldn’t think Itd be such a big deal
    "I wasn't going to finish 2nd today...2nd was not in the cards...I was either going to win or i was not going to finish at all..." Eddie Cheever-Victory Lane,Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1998

Blog Entries
    Yeah, don't need to get into it... Pato was just faster.

To be honest, I don't like all these "attacks" on Michael in Twitter. Michael is a hero in this situation. He gave O'Ward a chance to shine and me personally very grateful to him for all he did and is doing for the sport. Great man.

Twitter is the Devil