Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pato O┤Ward out of Harding Steinbrenner Racing

Patricio O'Ward may be reduced to partial season, will likely miss spring training

http://www.record.com.mx/otros-depor...ward-en-riesgo Article is in Spanish, but Google translate is avaialble.
    Bummed to read this, but financial issues at Harding Steinbrenner due to lack of sponsor.

Insider
    Hopefully he can ditch that sinking ship and take his Mazda money elsewhere but I wonder if they already spent it.

Blog Entries
    All they hype for this team and they might not even show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie4041 View Post
    All they hype for this team and they might not even show up.

I believe they are sending Herta. I follow them on twitter and they were loading up.
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

It seems like Steinbrenners never really wanted O'Ward. Patricio was picked by Harding/Andretti and now Harding's part of the garage is strugling without money. It's a darn shame because everybody saw that O'Ward destroyed young Herta in Lights and after that shined bright at Sonoma, while Colton was a weak shadow all weekend long.

And why the hell mexican sponsors don't support their highly talented compatriot?
    Nastalgia & headache.

Name means everything. O'Ward might have the speed but Herta has the name. It's an old problem.

That's a bummer. I have a good feeling about that kid.
    I ride tandem/with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.
    Peter Gabriel, "Humdrum"

I'm sure they're working on securing a sponsor. I can only wish them luck. Can the league assist in these kind of things or do they stay clear?
    Get your head out of your past!!!

Dirt biker/carp hunter Stick500's Avatar
    Robin's first question in yesterday's mailbag was about this problem and apparently his honest answer was too much for somebody and the question and answer were pulled out a few hours later.

I don't recall exactly what was said as I wasn't aware of the troubles there yet.
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

You'd think supposed race fan Carlos Slim could spay a few bucks for this kid? As opposed to the gallizions he's wasted in F1.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel ľ we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

A new team not having sponsorship 100% in place in February. Shocked, I tell you.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Seems like this team is on even more shaky financial ground than they were last year.

Listened to MP Podcast, and sounds like MP and Robin are waiting on news before publishing on what I assume is this subject. Hence the removal on the mail bag.

This is so bad. O'Ward is head s and tails above Herta and gets bumped. Nepotism working well I see. Herta needs another season in Lights IMO and gets a season of IC...unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by GMCguy View Post
    This is so bad. O'Ward is head s and tails above Herta and gets bumped. Nepotism working well I see. Herta needs another season in Lights IMO and gets a season of IC...unbelievable.
    That's a stretch to say he is heads and tails above Herta. But I do wish and hope both get their full time chance this year.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by GMCguy View Post
    Herta was driving injured last year, once he broke a bone in his hand if he was not the same
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Unser>Andretti View Post
    http://www.record.com.mx/otros-depor...ward-en-riesgo Article is in Spanish, but Google translate is avaialble.
    Bummed to read this, but financial issues at Harding Steinbrenner due to lack of sponsor.
    This offseason has been almost nothing but great news. This is very disappointing to read. Hopefully this team gets it figured out quickly or O'Ward finds a good ride somewhere else.

Makes you wonder how much Harding thought this out before he got involved in Indycars a couple of years ago. There had been rumors of financial troubles almost since day one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherSide View Post
    Makes you wonder how much Harding thought this out before he got involved in Indycars a couple of years ago. There had been rumors of financial troubles almost since day one.
    They should have stayed a part time team and built slowly

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Paff View Post
    Herta was driving injured last year, once he broke a bone in his hand if he was not the same
    He broke his hand as a result of psychological pressure which he was not able to take. I remember that weekend at Toronto very well, Colton's performance was just pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick500 View Post
    Robin's first question in yesterday's mailbag was about this problem and apparently his honest answer was too much for somebody and the question and answer were pulled out a few hours later.

I don't recall exactly what was said as I wasn't aware of the troubles there yet.
    Basically he said O'ward was worried about his ride and shopping around his Indy Lights $ to other teams. But it is too late for most options.

Grabbing the partial season left at Carlin came to my mind.

Kart racer, Indyfan 1988- SteveK51's Avatar
    Carlos Slim should have been hustling to sign up to sponsor Pato after the spectacle he put on at Race of Champions a few weeks ago. Between that and Pato's performance at Sonoma, it will be a shame if he can't run a full season to continue his progression.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    You'd think supposed race fan Carlos Slim could spay a few bucks for this kid? As opposed to the gallizions he's wasted in F1.
    my guess is there's no great rush to spend pesos supporting a kid racing in America these days. Don't be surprised to see O'Ward land in F2 somewhere. People noticed him at ROC.

More on Harding Steinbrenner situation from motorsport.com:

Sadly what was hailed last September as an expanded two-car Steinbrenner Harding team for 2018 Indy Lights champion Pato O’Ward and runner-up Colton Herta which would switch to Honda engines is not (yet) in the form it was advertised. While there is no official word yet, one informant told Motorsport.com that in fact the team has just one full-time engine lease, presumably for Herta’s #88 car, while the current plan is to run the #8 for O’Ward at the Indy 500 and for as many other races as his $1m prize fund for the Lights title will stretch.

Some might say it would be more fair to have Herta and O’Ward sharing the fulltime car, but George Steinbrenner IV’s money is tied to Herta – they are genuine friends. And anyway, would switching drivers in and out be smarter? Or would it just hurt the progress of each, in a situation when any single-car team – especially one with rookie drivers – is already inherently compromised?

Quote Originally Posted by CP View Post
    Basically he said O'ward was worried about his ride and shopping around his Indy Lights $ to other teams. But it is too late for most options.

Grabbing the partial season left at Carlin came to my mind.
    I'd be calling up Vasser and Sullivan and see if they wanted to put that new chassis they purchased to good use before the 500.

If they last the year it seems like they are ripe to sell everything to McLaren next year.

As for Pato, can he take it to Andretti and try to get 4 races there?

Blog Entries
    Looks like they'll have at least one car at COTA testing. The driver testing will more then likely be Colton and according to Marshall he even suggests O'Ward might not drive for the team in 2019. Maybe O'Ward might pick up his championship money and use it somewhere else.

I like Harding racing but they do have their issues. First they seemed to have screwed over Gabby Chaves out of a seat (did they ever say what happened to their relationship with him) and now this. *sighs*

https://racer.com/2019/02/07/solo-harding-steinbrenner-entry-for-cota-test/?fbclid=IwAR1kZpUmlP2NVOo8aEyf_vphtL-9vSnG2qhACtBDjLKzWP398H0p8xcG8CQ

"The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Quote Originally Posted by nospheratez View Post
    He broke his hand as a result of psychological pressure which he was not able to take. I remember that weekend at Toronto very well, Colton's performance was just pitiful.
    That's patently ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    Looks like they'll have at least one car at COTA testing. The driver testing will more then likely be Colton and according to Marshall he even suggests O'Ward might not drive for the team in 2019. Maybe O'Ward might pick up his championship money and use it somewhere else.

I like Harding racing but they do have their issues. First they seemed to have screwed over Gabby Chaves out of a seat (did they ever say what happened to their relationship with him) and now this. *sighs*

https://racer.com/2019/02/07/solo-harding-steinbrenner-entry-for-cota-test/?fbclid=IwAR1kZpUmlP2NVOo8aEyf_vphtL-9vSnG2qhACtBDjLKzWP398H0p8xcG8CQ
    First of all, Harding got divorced, which put an end to using his own bank account. These things happen. Stunk for Gabby but that's racing. He brought no money, that's what happened. Enter Steinbrenner. For all everyone is complaining about him supporting Colton, Herta is his buddy, and he's said about 600 times in the last 2 years they are going to IndyCar together.

Now, Pato, okay, so here's the thing....The Steinbrenner plan never included Pato. That was something which Harding, Steinbrenner, and possibly Andretti put together at the end of last year. He brings little to no money besides the Lights $1 million. They all knew that. The hope was to close the funding gap, which as of today, has not been done. I don't know the reason, but the Steinbrenner family priority has always been young Herta. Should O'Ward have shopped? Maybe, but honestly, where was he going? Carlin, that's not a big improvement, and HSR will have AA help there.

Excellent post, Grizzlor.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

I understand the Harding / Steinbrenner side of this and can't blame them but it really sucks for Pato after the incredible season in Lights and the frankly jaw-dropping performance at Sonoma. I don't think I've EVER seen a rookie come in and do that well, especially not with the level of competition we have in Indycar right now and on as technical a track as Sonoma. And when you consider where that Harding car was all year it just becomes even more impressive. Right now he looks like the most potentially dominant rookie to come along since Newgarden.