Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 NASCAR TV Ratings

In a flagstand somewhere in the Carolinas
    Except for the last 8% of the race
    Live like Dave

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Except for the last 8% of the race
    Last year's last 8% was about as bad, maybe worse.

Insider
    Blog Entries
    https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1097953603384430593

Fast national ratings for the Daytona 500 flat from last year (5.3). So the uptick in the big markets was offset by a decline in the smaller markets.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1097953603384430593

Fast national ratings for the Daytona 500 flat from last year (5.3). So the uptick in the big markets was offset by a decline in the smaller markets.
    That's a change in their usual trend. When the small market got added in it always went up. Small-town rural America still abandoning the sport. Not good.
    "If you see you're gonna miss, grit your teeth."--Evel Knievel

"The #Daytona500 was tracking to be up only slightly in ratings before the chaotic final hour boosted figures by extending the race when it had its largest audience." - Adam Stern.

2018 wasn't as bad, but it did have one red flag. Now knowing that it was actually even in the end and not against Olympics.

Denny Hamlin‘s win was the third Daytona 500 in the past six years with less than a 6.0 overnight. The previous two — last year and 2014 (5.6) — aired opposite Winter Olympics coverage.
    Daytona 500 overnights have now increased in every-other-year dating back to 2011, but the overall trend remains downward. The race increased 17% to an 8.2 in 2011, 30% to a 10.0 in 2013, 30% to a 7.3 in 2015, and 7% to a 6.5 in 2017.
    https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...vernights-fox/

Quote Originally Posted by dalz View Post
    That's a change in their usual trend. When the small market got added in it always went up. Small-town rural America still abandoning the sport. Not good.
    Funny, I just watched this guy yesterday talking about the weird Daytona ratings in urban areas.

Maybe hes right. Maybe hes wrong. I don't know. But its an interesting video.

Quote Originally Posted by dalz View Post
    I want to say that the trend was already becoming apparent last year, could even date farther back. Certainly don't have any data to back that up.

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Funny, I just watched this guy yesterday talking about the weird Daytona ratings in urban areas.

Maybe hes right. Maybe hes wrong. I don't know. But its an interesting video.
    His material is usually pretty good, and nobody else has put forward any other ideas to explain how something that has existed forever (NASCAR does far better when the small market figures come in) was reversed, if just for one week.

Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    His material is usually pretty good, and nobody else has put forward any other ideas to explain how something that has existed forever (NASCAR does far better when the small market figures come in) was reversed, if just for one week.
    I just discovered him last week.

I like it too.

Blog Entries
    The good vibes from the overnight television ratings for the Daytona 500 did not last very long.

There was much positivity from those searching for some surrounding NASCAR’s viewership numbers when the overnight ratings for Sunday’s race won by Denny Hamlin were slightly up over 2018. But the final television ratings came in on Tuesday and, well, they didn’t back up the overnights. According to Sports Media Watch, the 2019 Daytona 500 posted a 5.3 rating and 9.17 million viewers.

It’s the same rating as the 2018 Daytona 500 received. But the 9.17 million viewers are 130,000 fewer viewers than last year’s race had. And it makes Sunday’s race the least-watched Daytona 500 since viewership numbers started being kept for the race in 1979.

[Batter up: Join or create a 2019 Yahoo Fantasy Baseball league for free today]

Nearly 12 million people watched the 2017 Daytona 500, meaning the 500 has lost 2.75 million viewers over the past two years. It’s feasible to believe that at least part of that drop is due to the absence of Dale Earnhardt Jr. The 2017 race was his final Daytona 500.

But that can’t explain the entirety of the drop, right? As NASCAR TV ratings continue their downward slide, there’s no indication they’ll stop dropping anytime soon. The series has lost 5 million viewers over the past 13 seasons.

The 2019 Daytona 500 television ratings are especially bad considering that the 2018 Daytona 500 went up against the Winter Olympics. The Olympics typically siphon off casual viewers who are searching for sports to watch on a boring February sports weekend. If that siphon happened last year, those viewers didn’t come back in 2019.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/daytona-500...14sHUVo4HvX3pQ

If one were a casual NASCAR fan and tuned in only for the big races, they would probably see less familiar names than in previous years. I'm sure all those big names retiring have led to a lack of interest these days considering how much they made NASCAR primarily one that relies on the big personalities of its drivers.

There was some names that I had no idea who they were.

Theres others I know of only because they ran Xfinity where I knew nothing about them

"The names are made here" mantra for Xfinity series rings rather hollow when a majority of races are won by Cup drivers running for their Cup teams.

The whole "big names" excuse is, like all the others, an excuse. In whatever sport, the sport MAKES the names, the names don't make the sport. Who was anybody until they were somebody?

The question to ask is not "how can the sport survive the loss of X, Y and Z names" but "why can this sport no longer create big names like it did when it made X, Y and Z? "

The whole "big names" excuse is, like all the others, an excuse. In whatever sport, the sport MAKES the names, the names don't make the sport. Who was anybody until they were somebody?

The question to ask is not "how can the sport survive the loss of X, Y and Z names" but "why can this sport no longer create big names like it did when it made X, Y and Z? "
    Exactly.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Barstool has huge listener/viewership; I was honestly surprised to see Denny Hamlin on PMT this week but found out later that the network as a whole has a business deal with NASCAR. They've had a relationship with Indycar for the 500 as well that I think led to a whole lot of new, younger fans joining in via stuff like the subreddit too (and has changed the demographics in recent reports substantially).

Knowing that now makes these things make a lot more sense in terms of early ratings and so on. I wouldn't at all be surprised that the Barstool promotion was worth half or more of a ratings point, which would have further kept the ratings from crumbling. I'll be really interested to see how they work together going forwards.

So what's the new NASCAR excuse for the low ratings?

The AAF?

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualBalboa View Post
    Barstool has huge listener/viewership; I was honestly surprised to see Denny Hamlin on PMT this week but found out later that the network as a whole has a business deal with NASCAR. They've had a relationship with Indycar for the 500 as well that I think led to a whole lot of new, younger fans joining in via stuff like the subreddit too (and has changed the demographics in recent reports substantially).

Knowing that now makes these things make a lot more sense in terms of early ratings and so on. I wouldn't at all be surprised that the Barstool promotion was worth half or more of a ratings point, which would have further kept the ratings from crumbling. I'll be really interested to see how they work together going forwards.
    And how long can a secondary marketing scheme carry a dying series ?
    "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

Lee Iacocca

I just listened and watched the 1979 Daytona 500. Ken Squier was awesome and the racing was really good even with the wrecks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Flinn View Post
    So what's the new NASCAR excuse for the low ratings?

The AAF?
    Oh you KNOW they have one.

Insider
    Blog Entries

How do you create mainstream stars when TV viewership is down (at least for the non-live sports where Fox/NBC will run ads), newspapers are dying out, people DVR TV and fast-forward through the ads, etc.?

That's an issue pretty much everyone except the NFL & NBA in sports is going to have to deal with.

Blog Entries
    So the flat or ever-so-slightly higher rating but 1.5% less viewers is due to cord-cutting and such? That's something to remember for all ratings comparisons from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    How do you create mainstream stars when TV viewership is down (at least for the non-live sports where Fox/NBC will run ads), newspapers are dying out, people DVR TV and fast-forward through the ads, etc.?

That's an issue pretty much everyone except the NFL & NBA in sports is going to have to deal with.
    In 10 or 15 years, I am certain that the big names in baseball, hockey, golf, tennis, boxing, MMA, and other sports (all of whom are little kids right now) will be well known to followers of those sports, and in the top of the top beyond that. They will be made famous BY THE SPORT itself.

NASCAR's issue is that it is so degraded by almost two decades of idiotic rule changes that it can longer generate new stars, and as the last of the previous generation (made BY THE SPORT, when well run) age out, there is nobody there to take their place.

Racing was different than the stick and ball sports 25-35 years ago.

You heard of the Young Guns because you watched them grow as racers for 10 years or more before they became nationally known.

Maybe not even that long ago. Smoke was known before he was given a ride. Ditto Jeff Gordon, Kasey Kahne, Matt Kenseth etc.

Now they trot some kid too young to shave out and say heres our new driver who is now in the car of the guy you followed closely for 15 years; buy his hat and shirt and diecast. And people are like who?

With stick and ball sports you have your team and over 5-10 years all of the names change but its still your favorite team.

The changes to the players were gradual enough that you barely noticed.

Its harder when theres just one face and you never heard of him two years earlier.

The big question whenever a Gordon/Earnhardt/Stewart retires is

Who will you root for now?

Stick and ball fans don't haave to do that. Its still their team when one player out of a couple dozen retires.
    Last edited by KevMcNJ; Yesterday at 06:21 PM.

NFL has had recent rule changes and now MLB is considering them.
    I still don’t know what is a catch and considered a “football move”.
    Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions

And football fans are getting fed up with the rules nonsense too. I cannot comment on baseball.

Im glad theyre in spring training but I don't watch baseball until October.