Thread: NBC, ads, and the 500

Plays well with Others

NBC, ads, and the 500

Bored tonight so I rewatched last year’s 500 for a bit. I really hope NBC does a better job with ads/commercial breaks. There were two long ad breaks in the first 23 laps. First after about 12 laps with side-by-side, and a 2nd full break around lap 21. All under green. OOF! I understand paying the bills but ABC barely let the field settle in before breaking for commercials. Oh and a 3rd break around lap 35.
    I know on NBCSN in the past they’ve been decent but for the crown jewel of the series, hopefully they’ll stay with the race a while....I’m also excited to see what they do with the pre-race ceremonies. They do such a great job with the Derby and building that up....and I know it’s different bc they’re covering a big event with a race that lasts a few minutes vs 3 hours, but hopefully they “showcase” the 500 a lot better than ABC’s mailed in efforts the past decade.
    "We named the dog Indiana"

I see no reason that they wouldn't do a better job, because ABC/Disney just saw it as a cash cow and didn't really put much honest and thoughtful effort into it unless it contributed to their bottom line. NBC is going to have a better atmosphere in just the fact that it is the same network doing the whole series and they have more invested in it.

I think it's a win-win. We will see how much of a win-win it really is soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by mattbholland View Post
    Bored tonight so I rewatched last year’s 500 for a bit. I really hope NBC does a better job with ads/commercial breaks. There were two long ad breaks in the first 23 laps. First after about 12 laps with side-by-side, and a 2nd full break around lap 21. All under green.
    On the bright side you didn't miss anything during those laps
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Oh everything will be better. ABC just saw the 500 as a cash cow and NBC doesn't care if they make money they just want to please the diminishing viewers of the 500.

It was good that ABC, and hopefully now NBC will have, had enough advertisers willing to buy time that they had to wedge in a lot of commercials. How should NBC schedule them? During green flag action when maybe there is some passing, or when the pits are almost open to end right as the cars start to enter pit road? NBC isn't going to be able to see into the future or time the spots out just perfectly for the fanatic any better than ABC did. They have to get so many breaks in per half hour and if they intend to show the last 20 laps without interruption then they have to squeeze several in during the half hour leading up to lap 180.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Does anyone know if we are still getting side by side during commercial breaks?
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    Does anyone know if we are still getting side by side during commercial breaks?
    I would assume, NBCSN did side-by-side for the Rolex 24

I just hope they do away with the ticker at the top and show the running order on the side like they did for the Rolex
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)