Thread: Friday Night Open Wheel Pavement SuperMods For The Smogtana Bound Crowd

Insider

Friday Night Open Wheel Pavement SuperMods For The Smogtana Bound Crowd

this place is only 20min from the smogtana speedway...

ill not gonna miss it... who else is going...

here is the link and the story...

http://www.orangeshowspeedway.net/

Supermodifieds to Invade Orange Show Speedway and Las Vegas Motor Speedway Bullring

by Gerald Laurie

Davey Hamilton’s Supermodified Racing League is set to compete at two racetracks over the weekend of October 1 and 2, 2004. The Offset Winged Roadsters will compete in San Bernardino, California, at the Orange Show Speedway on Friday, October 1. This will be the first time the exotic fuel injected land rockets have competed on the quarter mile banking on the National Orange Show Grounds. The SRL cars routinely turn laps in the high ten and low eleven second bracket on tracks of similar size. The same show will roll into Las Vegas on Saturday, October 2, to compete at Las Vegas Motor Speedway’s 3/8 mile Bullring. The SRL has competed regularly at the Bullring since 2000. The track record for the Supers at Las Vegas is in the high twelve second bracket.

Both shows will be a standard Supermodified Racing League event featuring two lap time trials, eight lap heat races, and a forty lap feature race. Both events will carry the standard SRL point awards and purse structure. Most of the SRL point leaders will be competing at both racetracks.

Point Leader Troy Regier of Dinuba, California will lead the SRL teams into this weekend driving the Carson City based S&S Motorsports number 98 Silsby. Regier has two wins so far this season. He is a two time SRL Champion and also has two WSMRA Supermodified Championships. He is also a three time Copper World Classic Champion. Regier currently has 432 points. Closely following Regier with 407 points is Fresno’s Jim Birges, the most recent winner , driving his own number 32 Hyder Hawk. Jim has two wins this season and has routinely finished in the top five in SRL points after winning the Rookie of the Year title in 2000.

In third place at 386 points is 21 year old A.J. Russell from Clovis, California. A.J. has one win this season and was the 2003 SRL Rookie of the Year. He drives the RPM Motorsports number 7 Hyder Hawk. Boise, Idaho’s Jeff Russell is fourth in points and recently won an open competition race at Chaparral Speedway in Eagle, Idaho. Jeff has accumulated 375 points this year in SRL Competition and drives the Out-Front Racing number 85 Silsby. Fifth in points is Jim Tartaglia of Reedley, California in the family owned number 83 Master-Hawk Supermodified. Jim is a many time winner and Champion in CAM 360 Supermodifieds. Tartaglia currently has 359 points.

Eric Silsby of Carson City, Nevada is sixth in points driving the Courtney Lewis owned number 96 Silsby. His point total is 307. Ageless Ken Hamilton of Boise, Idaho drives his son Davey’s number 1 Hyder and has 291 points currently. Ken is a past Supermodified Champion and drives Sprint Cars as well as Supers. Ron Burger of Santa Cruz, California, is eighth in points at 271. Ron has many wins and several championships in open wheel road racing. Burger drives the number 89 X-Car Supermodified. Indiana’s Mike Ford is ninth at 235 points and drives the Tom Joyce owned number 56 Hyder based in Boise, Idaho. Rounding out the top ten is Rick Veenstra of Emmett, Idaho. This veteran has numerous wins in the exotic roadsters over the years. He has one win in 2004 and drives the number 91 Moyne Chassis Super owned by Idaho’s Pat Russell.

Other competitors expected for the double show weekend include comeback veteran Mike McCann of Eugene, Oregon, in brother John McCann’s number 14 Schefchick; 2002 SRL Lites Rookie of the year, eighteen year old Bobby Dalton in his own number 36 Hyder Hawk; Scott’s Valley, California’s Rick Cameron in his number 24 Hyder Hawk; and Harry Stone of Bloomfield , Colorado, in the number 40 Masterman Supermodifed. Possible additions to the field include Ricky Otts of Houston, Texas, Willie Northamer of Sanger, California, Rob Carlotto of Burney, California, Dave Adamson of Salt Lake City, Utah, and Darren Rusconi of Fresno, California. Coloradans Gary Land, Harold Evans, Richey Castor, John Pickard, Troy Castor, and Joe Priselac may compete as well.

Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh, those Super Mods. I thought this thread was about Dog Ring
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Come on over to San Berdoo. Davey is bringing a bunch of guests from the IRL. It should be a great show. Stop by the SRL Trailer or the press box and say high to the Racing Widow's Husband.
    A good race driver, given adequate seat time, can drive any well prepared racecar on any track surface or configuration at competitive speeds. Remember, I said a GOOD race driver!!!

HOO-BOY!! You really got my attention here. I can't believe you guys are coming right here for us SRL starved locals.

I can't even imagine these cars on that track. Uh, did anyone tell them what this track is like? Have they raced here before? This should be one those occasions that might be recalled for many years.

We've had Riverside, Long Beach, Ontario, Ascot,
    OCIR, Fontana, etc. Now we have Supers at Orange Show Speedway...who'd a thunk?

Put Helio in one of them...have you seen the 2-seat Super Mod? That'll git'er done.

Thanks for the heads up, guys.

Jim Birges and A.J. Russell ran a demo last Saturday at OSS. Times were in the 11.4 range on very old (110 laps plus) tires. We were also able to work in a second groove with a little bit of witch's brew on the track and some help working rubber into the top from the locals. We'll cone the track for the first practice session today to get the second groove in early so the track should be quite racy by feature time. I'd love to put Helio in one of these things, but he declined a few years ago when Larry Trigueiro offered at Phoenix the first year the Indy Cars ran with the Copper World. A.J. Foyt IV ran Davey Hamilton's Supermod at Madera two weeks ago and ran fourth after tying for fast time. Note: the picture is of Ron Burger (gold number 89) and Willie Northamer (Blue number 29).

But...but...but...
    Why isn't the engine in the back?
    (Heck, it's not even in the car.)

Helio wouldn't try it? I thought foreign road racers excelled in all forms of motorsport. Guess he was afraid the old man Bentley Warren would show him up.
    BTW, when they showed up at the Irwindale 1/2 mile a few years ago, Troy Regier took the record right off the lap chart.

Gerald... how can I find you at Orange Show?

Allan Rodgers

Originally posted by Saw150
    Gerald... how can I find you at Orange Show?

Allan Rodgers
    He's probably en-route in the famous "Super-Chicken"

Stop by the SRL trailer

carl s
    Indio, CA

carl s, did this one get you out to the track? It was a pleasure seeing the monsters on a quarter mile, I left before I knew where to find Gerald L, but congratulations to all who put this on.

Davey and Ken Hamilton were all smiles, Troy Regier put on some passes that made my whole night alone. 40 laps at 11 secs per lap!

They are in Vegas Sat, tonite...so go!

Originally posted by Saw150
    carl s, did this one get you out to the track? It was a pleasure seeing the monsters on a quarter mile, I left before I knew where to find Gerald L, but congratulations to all who put this on.

Davey and Ken Hamilton were all smiles, Troy Regier put on some passes that made my whole night alone. 40 laps at 11 secs per lap!

They are in Vegas Sat, tonite...so go!
    Glad you enjoyed yourself Saw.
    I was making preparations to leave and wound-up with another medical emergency

The body reminds me of our old 36 Ford jalopy from the 50s.
    Never could count on getting it on the trailer on Sat afternoon.

carl s
    Indio, CA