Thread: Cherry Park, Avon Connecticut

Cherry Park, Avon Connecticut

I have been told by an old friend that at one time there was some kind of a dirt track in Avon, Connecticut, just outside Hartford. He believes it was called Cherry Park, and that they ran midgets and sprints there in the 40's.

Anybody got any info or pics?

-... .. - . / -- .
    I lived for a few years each in Farmington and N.Canton, both adjoining towns of Avon and have never heard of a track.

Interesting...

A quick Google found this
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 11 posts.

Molon Labe!

On quite a few occasions, when I was a "little one", back in the late 40's, we went to Cherry Park in Avon, Ct. to watch the ARDC midgets run. I kinda think the track was maybe 1/4 mile. It was not dirt, then, but paved. What is really sad is that it is extremely difficult to find any of the midget racing history from these tracks from that era.
    OK, ok, I can see someone like taz saying I'm still a "little one"! Go ahead guys, rub it in!

Re: Cherry Park, Avon Connecticut

Originally posted by Fueler
    I have been told by an old friend that at one time there was some kind of a dirt track in Avon, Connecticut, just outside Hartford. He believes it was called Cherry Park, and that they ran midgets and sprints there in the 40's.

Anybody got any info or pics?
    From Allan Brown's "History of America's Speedways", Connecticut chapter: Cherry Park Speedway - Avon - 1/2 mile dirt oval (1933-1939), 1/5 mile paved oval (7/28/46-1951, and 54), torn down in 1959. The shorter oval was a regular stop on one of the New England post-war midget circuits.

Hmmmm... very interesting... I'm wondering where in Avon it was located... I was in Avon a lot in the 50's and don't recall seeing it...