Thread: Bennie Parsons & Johnnie & Johnny Parsons

I am gimmick

Bennie Parsons & Johnnie & Johnny Parsons

Is Bennie Parsons (of NASCAR fame) any relation to Johnnie & Johnny Parsons of IndyCar & short-track fame?
    One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

If I remember correctly, Johnny Parsons is related to Pancho Carter (half-brothers). Benny Parsons is not related to them, I don't believe. I recall Benny having a younger brother who raced NASCAR for a time. I think his name was Joe Parsons.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
    -Author Unknown-

Phil.
    Deceased equine abuse encouraged.

Insider
    Phil, once in a while does commentary on races for TV. Don't know where or when.

Phil does craftman truck races on speed

Johnnie and Johnny came out of California. Benny and Phil came out of Detroit.
    "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2014 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Phil Parsons, that's it! I knew Joe didn't sound right, but I couldn't come up with anything else.

Insider
    Probably thinking of the Ruttman brothers, Troy and Joe.

I am gimmick
    Quote Originally Posted by rockawaygirl
    If I remember correctly, Johnny Parsons is related to Pancho Carter (half-brothers). Benny Parsons is not related to them, I don't believe. I recall Benny having a younger brother who raced NASCAR for a time. I think his name was Joe Parsons.
    Yeah, IIRC, Johnny and Pancho are either half- or step-brothers.

Thanks for clarifying that, y'all. I just happened to read something about Benny yesterday, and got to wondering.

Johnny Parson the 1950 Indy Winner,,, really the 1950 Indy 345 Winner was Johnny Parson Jr's Dad...

Pancho Carter is Johnny Jr's half brother,,, same mother... Johnny Parsons Sr's former wife,,, Arza,,, married Duane Carter Sr...

Duane Carter Sr was also a great Midget, Sprint, and Big Car Driver... Old Man Carter,
    started racing Midgets on the West Coast with the Mad Russian...Ten or Eleven Indy Starts, a third
    or a fourth place finish at Indy was his best finish,,, but he was good in Midgets, Sprints and the Big Cars...
    He also worked for USAC for a number of years.... Duane Sr. married Arza Parsons after her divorce from
    Johnnie Parsons Sr,,, her son is Johnny Jr....

Hence the half brother deal... And there's another brother Dana Carter, a younger brother of Pancho's,
    and of course he was also a half brother of Johnny Parson Jr...Dana ran Midgets and a few Sprints races also...
    Not sure if he is still alive,,, I remember something,,, just not sure what I remember.... Dana was a party animal...
    Then there is a Cole Carter, Pancho's boy, that ran at Indy in the Infinity Series...

Pancho was the 1972 Midget Champion, and started at Indy in 1974 as a Rookie,,, different from today
    when even a "Girl" can start at Indy never winning Pro Series Race... Pancho had 23 Midget Wins, two
    Sprint Car Titles, 17 Indy starts, and a hand full of Big Car Wins... Also he holds the record for an "Inverted Pass"
    down the main straight at Indy.... Six inches off the deck,,, inverted,,, Great Show.....

He is the guy that ran AJ so hard the "Night Before the 500" in a Sprint Car Race,,, I have a picture of
    AJ's car with all four wheels off the ground... All you can see is the bellie pan... Foyt had just won the Pole
    at the Speedway,,, but he didn't care,,, he still ran the wheels off that old Sprint Car,,, beating
    Pancho.... Just to relax a bit, just to have a little fun,,, that's what he said... In one of them "Blood Bucket Sprint
    Cars,,, I think they ran Twin Fifties that night...

So it's Duane Carter Sr,,, Johnny Parsons Sr,,, Poncho Carter, Johnny Parsons Jr,,,
    Dana Carter, Cole Carter and there might even be a young Dana....

Then there's Bennie and Phil Parsons they are Stock Car Brothers...
    Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Quote Originally Posted by BigWheelHawaii
    Johnny Parson the 1950 Indy Winner,,, really the 1950 Indy 345 Winner was Johnny Parson Jr's Dad...

Pancho Carter is Johnny Jr's half brother,,, same mother... Johnny Parsons Sr's former wife,,, Arza,,, married Duane Carter Sr...

Duane Carter Sr was also a great Midget, Sprint, and Big Car Driver... Old Man Carter,
    started racing Midgets on the West Coast with the Mad Russian...Ten or Eleven Indy Starts, a third
    or a fourth place finish at Indy was his best finish,,, but he was good in Midgets, Sprints and the Big Cars...
    He also worked for USAC for a number of years.... Duane Sr. married Arza Parsons after her divorce from
    Johnnie Parsons Sr,,, her son is Johnny Jr....

Hence the half brother deal... And there's another brother Dana Carter, a younger brother of Pancho's,
    and of course he was also a half brother of Johnny Parson Jr...Dana ran Midgets and a few Sprints races also...
    Not sure if he is still alive,,, I remember something,,, just not sure what I remember.... Dana was a party animal...
    Then there is a Cole Carter, Pancho's boy, that ran at Indy in the Infinity Series...

Pancho was the 1972 Midget Champion, and started at Indy in 1974 as a Rookie,,, different from today
    when even a "Girl" can start at Indy never winning Pro Series Race... Pancho had 23 Midget Wins, two
    Sprint Car Titles, 17 Indy starts, and a hand full of Big Car Wins... Also he holds the record for an "Inverted Pass"
    down the main straight at Indy.... Six inches off the deck,,, inverted,,, Great Show.....

He is the guy that ran AJ so hard the "Night Before the 500" in a Sprint Car Race,,, I have a picture of
    AJ's car with all four wheels off the ground... All you can see is the bellie pan... Foyt had just won the Pole
    at the Speedway,,, but he didn't care,,, he still ran the wheels off that old Sprint Car,,, beating
    Pancho.... Just to relax a bit, just to have a little fun,,, that's what he said... In one of them "Blood Bucket Sprint
    Cars,,, I think they ran Twin Fifties that night...

So it's Duane Carter Sr,,, Johnny Parsons Sr,,, Poncho Carter, Johnny Parsons Jr,,,
    Dana Carter, Cole Carter and there might even be a young Dana....

Then there's Bennie and Phil Parsons they are Stock Car Brothers...
    ..are you Mormon

I guess I shouldn't bring up Sports Car racer Charlie Parsons or NASCAR driver of the 70's (from Canada) Vic Parsons

No, no relation as far as I know...

And I know about Dana Carter, though I'd rather someone else go into the details.

I just missed seeing Pancho at Ascot, but did see Dana there.

I think that Cole has a brother named Dane. and their momma, Pancho's wife, is the daughter of Carl Forsberg. And if I'm worng, please correct me, BWH.
    http://www.hoseheads.com/dannyb.html

Hawkeye Racing News

Flat Out Magazine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JThur1
    And I know about Dana Carter, though I'd rather someone else go into the details.
    I know Dana passed away many years ago--the obit was in one of the Hungness books--but other than that I can't give anything else. He drove the heck outta Fred Ruth's old McLaren-Offy back in 79 though.
    TrackForum Pick 5 2014 Point Standings

"I believe that God is love, and that's enough..." John Wetton

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Roger Pensive Racing Team
    After the disappointment of missing a chance at qualifying for the Indy 500 for the second consecutive season in 1980, Dana Carter retired from racing and moved out to California to work a normal 8 to 5 job.

While he was away, he truly missed being behind the wheel and returned to Indiana in the summer of 1983 to resume his racing career. He returned to USAC midget competition and was beginning to get right back where he left off, in victory lane.

After finishing second in a USAC Midget event at the Indianapolis Speedrome on May 10, 1984, Dana Carter was in the pit area following the race and had a heart attack that ended his life at the age of 31.
    If I were Ed Carpenter and you were a lady...

Actually, I believe Benny Parsons is originally from Ellerbe, N.C., near Rockingham.

His dad owned a cab company/service station in Detroit, which is when Benny was driving taxis, obviously -- and he got the racing bug from a chance meeting with some drivers who were towing a car to a track in Indiana.

I am gimmick
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyB
    I think that Cole has a brother named Dane.
    Yes, IIRC he ran an IPS race or two for Panther, as a teammate to Mark Taylor.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWheelHawaii
    Sprint Car Titles, 17 Indy starts, and a hand full of Big Car Wins...

Credit Pancho with one IndyCar win at the 1st CART Michigan 500 in '81...