Thread: Jim Chini photographs

Jim Chini photographs

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a hold of Jim Chini? He has so many racing photos in all publications and I found out he took some photos back in 1974 of a car I'm restoring. They were published in a Hungness annual and I had no idea that there was someone out there who is such as repository of racing knowledge and photos until I looked on the web. However, I could n't find anywhere to contact him, except that he is in Palm Springs CA. I realize that sometimes people don't want their info broadcast, so if thats the case I understand, but either an email or a private messsage would be fine, if possible. Thanks

Race Fan
    You might try going through Dick Wallen in Arizona, They have colaberated lately some what. I dont have his e-mail in front to of Me but A google should turn it up.
    aXe
    Born Again Race Fan seen at
    www.openwheelracers3.com

Quote Originally Posted by aXe
    You might try going through Dick Wallen in Arizona, They have colaberated lately some what. I dont have his e-mail in front to of Me but A google should turn it up.
    aXe
    Wallen's web site does not have an e-mail contact listed - only phone, fax or "snail-mail". -->

Dick Wallen Contact Info

roach
    Deceased equine abuse encouraged.

JIM CHINI!!! 'You guys are talking about one of the, if not THEE greatest racing photographers of all time! We just saw and had a great talk with Jim at the "Legends of Ascot" reunion out at the Perris Auto Speedway back in October. Jim's living in Palm Springs, Ca. He looks better than ever, considering this guy was clicking off some of the best pics in USAC/open wheel competition going back to the 1960's. Jim's credentials are truly unmatched. Sure, Dick Wallen, the late, great Dennis Torres, Bob Tronolone, the late publisher Jack Fox, among many, many others; they all knew him and thought highly of him. Unbelievable class guy, personable and humble.

When and why did Jim stop shooting the big races?

Didn't know Dennis Torres was gone, bought many a photo from him in the early 80's.

GREAT photographer.

What ever happened to his portfolio of photo's, any one know?
    Last edited by IndyMJH; 12-29-2006 at 09:08 AM.

Race Fan
    I dont know about Torres stuff, But I was told Chini ended up with Jack fox's .
    aXe

'aXe, 'Correct. Jim did end up with Jack's stuff but, a lot of it was damaged because most of all the negatives were just thrown into a barrel. As for Dennis Torres' priceless collection of Indy car, champ dirt car, sprint car and midget photos, they all went to Dick Wallen. Dick's incredible book detailing the 70's history of the USAC Championship car trail utilizes DT's photos and even gives credit as such. The book also has a complete history, with photos (also Dennis Torres) of the Silver Crown Division throughout the 1970's.

Aloha,,,

The last time I talked to Jim, I think the last time, he told me
    he sold a ton of his negatives, but was trying to get them back...
    Boy, spent a few nights in Fillmore West with Jim and some of
    my other race buddie's... Well, they later told me, we ended up
    at da "Fillmore",,, could of fooled me...

Big
    Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Jim Chini photos@NHRA museum

I did finally get in touch with Jim Chini and he told me he had donated all the negatives and photos to the NHRA museum. I did get in touch with Greg Sharp at the museum but was told the photos were in no order and I was unable to convince him that I would be happy to search for the one's I wanted. It sounded as though they were at his home rather than the museum and he was trying to organize them, but I've been unable to review any of them. If anyone has any further info I'm trying to get photos of the 1974 Riley, the English Leather car-- I've gotten most of the Indy museum photos available.