Thread: Hap Sharp 1928-1993

Magnafluxed

Hap Sharp 1928-1993

I've been re-reading Richard Falconer's Chaparral book this week, and I got curious about Hap Sharp's whereabouts. I didn't know until I Googled his name a few minutes ago that he committed suicide in 1993 (not long after the Falconer book was published). Reviewing his driving record, it's obvious to me that during the early '60s, Hap was one of the world's best sports-car drivers, and I can't help but wonder how famous he'd be today if he had not retired from driving in 1965. Yet his name is hardly ever spoken today, even though Jim Hall credits Sharp as being an equal partner in everything that Chaparral did. Hap, if you're out there, I want to know that you have not been forgotten.

I had no idea he took his own life. How sad. I was kind of womdering why he wasn't some of the Chapparal demo runs lately.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the post.
    He was the quiet one. Never flamboyant. Just drove the wheels off anything he touched......
    ZOOOM
    "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
    James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Talking More on Hap Sharp (He was a family Friend)

I read with fondness the comments regarding Hap Sharp. He was a friend of our family in his final years as I was from Aspen and he had a home their that he spent much of his time at. Hap was a very talented man in many ways and liked to do things in a big way without attracking attention. Much is not known about his business and personal activities but here is some additional information you might find interesting. Hap was one of (if not the) largest land owners in Venezuela and Argentina where he owned 100,000's of acres. it is also down there where he took his life after learning of a serious illness (he always said he would take care of the cure if he ever got it - cancer). So he was a land owner in many countries and in many US states. He also had the distinction of owning the first Fiberglass hulled Yacht (not boat, think bigger) which he kept in the pacific Northwest while he owned it. He loved to ski, gamble and run businesses in realestate, Oil, automotive parts, cars (especially race cars) and many other areas. He was a fun, loving person with a closet interest in technology (camers, computers and the like). Just think of what other inventions and products he would have come up with had he lived even longer. He was a great guy and is missed. I thought you might enjoy some more details about his life....He is up there watching us all and wants us to enjoy life!

Hap Sharp

Quote Originally Posted by doogerbeck
    I read with fondness the comments regarding Hap Sharp. He was a friend of our family in his final years as I was from Aspen and he had a home their that he spent much of his time at. Hap was a very talented man in many ways and liked to do things in a big way without attracking attention. Much is not known about his business and personal activities but here is some additional information you might find interesting. Hap was one of (if not the) largest land owners in Venezuela and Argentina where he owned 100,000's of acres. it is also down there where he took his life after learning of a serious illness (he always said he would take care of the cure if he ever got it - cancer). So he was a land owner in many countries and in many US states. He also had the distinction of owning the first Fiberglass hulled Yacht (not boat, think bigger) which he kept in the pacific Northwest while he owned it. He loved to ski, gamble and run businesses in realestate, Oil, automotive parts, cars (especially race cars) and many other areas. He was a fun, loving person with a closet interest in technology (camers, computers and the like). Just think of what other inventions and products he would have come up with had he lived even longer. He was a great guy and is missed. I thought you might enjoy some more details about his life....He is up there watching us all and wants us to enjoy life!

He also played Polo with the Milwaukee Polo Club around 1970.

What an interesting guy Hap must have been, sort of an American version of the legendary Marquis de Portago. There needs to be a book on his life, I would love to learn more about him. Did Hap race again after his crash in the 2E in the Bahamas in 1966?
    Racing is life,everything that happens before or after is just waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by fatlantic
    What an interesting guy Hap must have been, sort of an American version of the legendary Marquis de Portago. There needs to be a book on his life, I would love to learn more about him. Did Hap race again after his crash in the 2E in the Bahamas in 1966?
    He co-drove the 2F with Phil hill in the 1967 Targa Florio. They were up to 4th place when a deflated tire put the car out.