Thread: 1980's Indy Car photos website

1980's Indy Car photos website

I started a freebie website and posted some photos I've scanned from past racing days.
    So far I have some 80's indy cars, 70's-80's sprint cars, 80's midgets and some 80's dirt champ cars. I'm no professional photographer, just some photos I snapped along the way that you might enjoy.
    Check it out, it will kill some time anyway until the snow melts.
    David.

www.ovalmeister.webs.com (click on photo gallery).

Wow, you even have a picture of that POS that Ken Hamilton drove.

... --- ...
    The shot of the driver flipping off the fans that are flipping him off is priceless!!!

Excellent photos, Ovalmeister!!!

BTW, you have one photo under "80's Dirt Champs" that is captioned as "Bob Cicconi and friend". That "friend" was a guy named Milt Harper and he actually drove an Indianapolis car in practice for a race at Pocono. In addition to being a photographer Milt had some very limited midget experience in (I think) BCRA and some SCCA runs as well. In 1980 he somehow got the officials to let him practice in the old Antares Indy Car for the Pocono 500. He never even got a chance to attempt to qualify as the Offy engine in the car blew up before he could really get up to any kind of speed. How they even accepted his entry is still a mystery. He must have brought some money of his own and CART must have really thought that they needed cars is all that I can figure.

Quote Originally Posted by indyrjc
    Excellent photos, Ovalmeister!!!

BTW, you have one photo under "80's Dirt Champs" that is captioned as "Bob Cicconi and friend". That "friend" was a guy named Milt Harper and he actually drove an Indianapolis car in practice for a race at Pocono. In addition to being a photographer Milt had some very limited midget experience in (I think) BCRA and some SCCA runs as well. In 1980 he somehow got the officials to let him practice in the old Antares Indy Car for the Pocono 500. He never even got a chance to attempt to qualify as the Offy engine in the car blew up before he could really get up to any kind of speed. How they even accepted his entry is still a mystery. He must have brought some money of his own and CART must have really thought that they needed cars is all that I can figure.

Thanks and glad you enjoyed the pics. I'll change the "friend" to Milt Harper. That guy had a heck of a mustache huh?
    David.

Thanks for posting the great photos.

It wouldn't be TF if we didn't respectfully offer a correction; your two pace lap pics labeled "Indy 87" look to be from '88.

Ovalmeister,

Great pictures!
    I have send you a PM about your work.

Indyote

Blog Entries
    Love the pix...great job! A lot of names on there I hadn't heard in years that sorely need to be repeated, particularly the midgets and sprints. Those were great days. And Ken Schrader...jeez, think of it. That was back when it sure looked like he was going to end up at Indy.

One minor error: the one of Guerrero on the hook at Indy...that's 88, not 86, I think.
    TrackForum Pick 5 2014 Point Standings

"I believe that God is love, and that's enough..." John Wetton

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by dalz
    Thanks for posting the great photos.

It wouldn't be TF if we didn't respectfully offer a correction; your two pace lap pics labeled "Indy 87" look to be from '88.
    Thanks dalz. It was a long time ago so I'm always welcome to corrections. I have a great memory it just doesn't last that long!
    I'll make those corrections.
    Jamski, I'll correct the roberto one also. Let me know if you see any other errors, I'd like them to be accurate.
    Thanks!
    David Ayers.