Thread: 1987: Penske replacing PC16's for Marches: Allowed?

1987: Penske replacing PC16's for Marches: Allowed?

Hi,

This is something that I can't understand.

Penske entered PC16-Chevy's in 1987, then all of a sudden witdraws them and replaces them for Marches.

Should those cars not have been entered to begin with? To my knowledge, none of the Marches was actually entered.
    Or could you simply change the car you entered for an entirely different car as long as you had an entry to begin with?

#25 started out as a Penske PC16-Chevy, it eventually became a March 86C-DFX.

Somehow, Penske must have entered such a car to begin with, under whatever entry number and then renumber it.
    Or they must have taken over an entry for a 86C-DFX.

How legal/allowable was all of what happened?

Regards,
    Indyote

According to the entry list published in the '87 Indy 500 Yearbook, Penske had backup cars for each of his PC-16 entries but they were TBA's. I would surmise that leaving the entry open-ended like that allowed the team to bring out the Marches.

The change of engines was not a big deal. In 1990 Rocky Moran's ride began the month with the standard Cosworth DFX. The car had no speed with that engine so his team hooked with Menard's to put in a Buick and that's how the car qualified.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL
    According to the entry list published in the '87 Indy 500 Yearbook, Penske had backup cars for each of his PC-16 entries but they were TBA's. I would surmise that leaving the entry open-ended like that allowed the team to bring out the Marches.

The change of engines was not a big deal. In 1990 Rocky Moran's ride began the month with the standard Cosworth DFX. The car had no speed with that engine so his team hooked with Menard's to put in a Buick and that's how the car qualified.
    I believe you're correct. But my feeling is, who cares? It's about best & safest race.

It was cool. Not many days before, the winning car was on display in some store/hotel/whatever as an obsolete 'show car'. Great story

And Al, Sr.s win '87 may have been the most popular win ever. EVERYONE was tearing up.

The United States Army Times http://www.militarycity.com/valor/honor.html

Quote Originally Posted by boardtrack
    I believe you're correct. But my feeling is, who cares? It's about best & safest race.

It was cool. Not many days before, the winning car was on display in some store/hotel/whatever as an obsolete 'show car'. Great story

And Al, Sr.s win '87 may have been the most popular win ever. EVERYONE was tearing up.

To DaveL: Aha, that makes indeed sense.

Boardtrack, I wondered since it gave me a bit of a feeling of yet another unfair advantage Team Penske may have abused. Entering a car, bring it at the speedway and then replace it with another car, still using the very same entry sheet. Renumbering an already entered car is one thing. But scratchin one that has been at the track already and bring in another one?
    Sounds a bit unfiar to me to use two different cars under the same entry blank.
    But if it was legally because of the TBA deal, that ends the discussion.

I do remember the deal of Moran in 1990. Good for him it happened.

Indyote