Thread: What is a good used sports car for under $6,000?

What is a good used sports car for under $6,000?

My brother's birthday is coming soon. I want to get him an awesome sports car. I want something that looks good and sounds good, and that is good. Also I want to consider insurance. Does anyone know any sports cars that are usually under $6,000 used but still in great shape?

Please pass on your advice.!!

price checker
    I am thinking that only a Miata is likely to fit within those parameters. Everything else I can think of is either too new to make that price range or too expensive to start with. And at under $6000 I don't know how great a shape you'll find one in.
    Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Miata was my first thought too...
    ZOOOM
    "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
    James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by dealrocker
    My brother's birthday is coming soon. I want to get him an awesome sports car. I want something that looks good and sounds good, and that is good. Also I want to consider insurance. Does anyone know any sports cars that are usually under $6,000 used but still in great shape?

Porsche 944 Nornally Aspirated 85-88.

Best handling Porsche ever made, and you can find oen for under 5,000 no problem.

Also it is a great race car, for Spec 944 in NASA, and SCCA ITS.

Article:http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...e-944-profile/

One of my neighbors has over 300k miles on his '85 N/A 944.

944 are great cars.
    Hard to find a good, well maintained example under $6K though.

Remember this is a car where a water-pump cost $900!!!

Miata is a no brainer. You can find a fairly clean C4 Corvettes for under $6K also.
    Host and Executive Producer
    South Florida Motorsports Report

Perhaps a third generation toyota supra? Turbo.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

I just picked up 2 new cream puff RX7s...so these are going to go.

The white '85 RX7 GSL-SE is your best bet. A buddy got it from the original owner (a secretary!) after 9 months he thought he wanted a Miata so I jumped on it. 2 weeks later he wanted the RX7 back.

The SE's are rare fuel-injected 13B rotary wankel powered, 4 wheel discs, LSD, upgraded factory susp, A/C, this one has P/S, leather, 88k miles.

Been hooked on wankels since '73 and know how to keep them reliable, fast, and fun.

The green one is the S model that was the stripped down model that is popular to mod because its light and lean, we add the SE susp & brakes, and it's harder to find than the SE model.

I have a beater black convertible that makes an excellent sports car, especially if there's a lady friend. '89-'91 models are refined and you can find a 6k creampuff if you look a little, don't settle for a rough one. They were $27,000 new...and still the same car, way more car than Miatas.

And at under $6000 I don't know how great a shape you'll find one in.
    It may take a bit of looking, but good Miata bargains are out there.

About 6 months ago, I bought a 1994 'A package' Miata(pwr strg, pwr mirrors, limited slip, AC). Stock except for AGX adjustable shocks..good red paint, reasonably new top with glass rear window, new windshield and only 69K miles.

Price: $5K after considerable negotiation.
    new sig pending

illegal user
    I'd go for the GSL-SE. I had a normal GSL. Great Handling.

Is that SE the same car, Saw? Missing the pinstripes with stock wheels.

Miata is a great choice. If he is handy you can find one that needs a few tweaks pretty cheap. I got this one from Florida for about 2K several years ago. I did the new top, full body and paint (Cadillac CTS pearl white), added my leftover SpecMiata wheels and tires, got some used suspension, etc etc. There is a ton of Miata support and parts out there. Insurance is dirt cheap, especially that the car is old so just get PLPD. These cars pretty much just run and run and run. This example has only 165k on the clock and I am going to replace the 1.6 with a 1.8 and turbo over the winter. Weight is only around 2300 lbs!

it is may

Miatas are nice but look also for a Nissan 300ZX.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

illegal user
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    Miatas are nice but look also for a Nissan 300ZX.
    Yea, reliable as heck and fun to drive too!

Buy the newest BMW M3 that you can find for $6K.

While I am quite fond of the M3 (actually I have a 1995 M3 and a 1994 Miata), I would opine a $6K M3 would likely be quite beaten up and would require an additional $3-4K to be a reliable everyday driver.

My M3 has 182K miles, is in pretty darn good shape (needs ball joints and a bit of suspension freshening, and a new headline) and I don't think I'd let it go for $6K.

The other factor is continuing maintenance. Miata parts are generally plentiful and cheap, while the M3 has many different parts from the rest of the 3 series and since they were low volume, parts ain't cheap.

Hey dealrocker...are we beating the proverbial dead horse here or are you still looking for a car for the bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive
    I'd go for the GSL-SE. I had a normal GSL. Great Handling.

Is that SE the same car, Saw? Missing the pinstripes with stock wheels.

Miata is a great choice. If he is handy you can find one that needs a few tweaks pretty cheap. I got this one from Florida for about 2K several years ago. I did the new top, full body and paint (Cadillac CTS pearl white), added my leftover SpecMiata wheels and tires, got some used suspension, etc etc. There is a ton of Miata support and parts out there. Insurance is dirt cheap, especially that the car is old so just get PLPD. These cars pretty much just run and run and run. This example has only 165k on the clock and I am going to replace the 1.6 with a 1.8 and turbo over the winter. Weight is only around 2300 lbs!

Yes, that's the way to do up a Miata...hard to beat. Everybody should have a nice little Miata around the house.

This is why I'm selling my other white and green RX7s. I just picked up a couple show cars built for Mazda by Racing Beat...

The RX7 California Roadster is mental. Complete custom built and daily driven by Jim Mederer founder of Racing Beat, the top rotary performance fabricator in the US. He's our "Carroll Shelby". It don't get any better than this! It's the featured car in the Feb '88 Car & Driver.

They also built the California Haulin' Rotary Turbo truck, built in jetski, '89 with 3,400 miles! They both have stadium/off road 4 speed torque converters that are just too sweet.

I've had their '87 California Coupe since 2000, this is their street/track car used to R&D all their catalog goodies for the '86-'91 gen. Sorry if I sound full of myself...because I am

http://www.racingbeat.com/

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

illegal user
    Saw, It is a safe bet that we can hijack this thread some more since Dealrocker ain't got the lights on. I had an RX-3, not an SP. but a 1973 model way back when. First engine I ever rebuilt in my life. A good way to start keeping track of all those seals and springs.

A few RX-7's, then I owned a B1600 pickup, flat glass, white grille and all for $75 that I towed my ITA CRX around with.

Here is a question, do you have any leads on clean, non rusted 323 GTX cars that are still around? I had two of those, one street one rally, and they just don't make em like they used to....ONLY 2600 POUNDS and All wheel drive, that thing handled like the bomb on dirt and snow.

Miata. Dead reliable, a hoot to drive. Look for a limited-slip diff car if you can find one.

http://www.miata.net/faq/production.html

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive
    Saw, It is a safe bet that we can hijack this thread some more since Dealrocker ain't got the lights on. I had an RX-3, not an SP. but a 1973 model way back when. First engine I ever rebuilt in my life. A good way to start keeping track of all those seals and springs.

A few RX-7's, then I owned a B1600 pickup, flat glass, white grille and all for $75 that I towed my ITA CRX around with.

Here is a question, do you have any leads on clean, non rusted 323 GTX cars that are still around? I had two of those, one street one rally, and they just don't make em like they used to....ONLY 2600 POUNDS and All wheel drive, that thing handled like the bomb on dirt and snow.

I was gonna ask if you had pics since they didn't show up the first time I opened your post.

Recently Memorial Day weekend I saw a 323 GTX for sale at Mazfest at Fontana. I'll have to scrounge that info up though. It was done very nicely in black satin matte finish and wheels. OMG it was the best one I've seen.
    My camera fritzed on me that day...I might have it on video with a phone number.

Here's my first new RX3 in '73, I know you'll appreciate it. Had it for 280k before the rust took it.

[IMG][/IMG]

And my new '76 RX4 5 speed, another 280k miles before it was stolen, had it set up like Parnelli's Boss 302 look

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Where's that dealrocker guy?