Thread: Football Songs

Football Songs

OK. I'm active in our local youth football program. I'm going to burn CDs of music to be played during our games. Some will be played after TDs, some during timeouts, some at halftime, some after first downs...

You get the point. I need songs that the kids and parents will both like. Here is what I have so far:

Boogie Shoes
    Chicken Dance (Oh yes...they love this one)
    Crazy Train
    Enter Sandman
    Hey Baby
    I'm Alright
    In the Summertime
    Jeopardy Theme (I play this when the refs are having a discussion)
    Jump Around
    Long Tall Glasses
    Low Rider
    Magic
    New York Groove
    Rock & Roll All Night
    Should I Stay or Should I Go
    Shout (Parts 1 & 2)
    Tequila
    We are the Champions
    We Will Rock You
    We're Not Gonna Take It
    Welcome to the Jungle
    Whip It
    Wipeout
    YMCA

Hit me with suggestions.

Thanks.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Cut me a couple of those and tell me what it costs. I could use a lot of that stuff on the PA at Corbin Speedway.

TrackForum Title Sponsor
    Not a song, but somewhere (probably during halftime) you need to work in Andy Griffith's classic What It Was, Was Football.
    "If there is a place on Earth synonymous with race cars, it is Indianapolis." -- Bernie Ecclestone

"No matter where you go in the world, you say Indianapolis and they don't think about football or basketball, they think about the race." -- Richard Petty

SpeedwayGeek
    Quote Originally Posted by indysteve
    Not a song, but somewhere (probably during halftime) you need to work in Andy Griffith's classic What It Was, Was Football.
    Or Bill Cosby's "Coin Toss".

"Captain Custer meet Captain Sitting Bull..."

Rock n' Roll Pt. 2 by Gary Glitter
    The Horse - Cliff Nobles - this was the fight song for the high school I attended.
    I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Use Wisconsin's 4th quarter starter - Brown Eyed Girl and let the CG faith finish the song after you flip the music off when the whistle blows (very cool tradition - better than their Jump Around).

Any of the rocking HEART early songs especially the song intros

Motorhead's Train (Boiler )

Slow Ride

Happy Trails for the blowouts

Anything off 1984 - Hot For Teacher would be poetic...

Considering the area - Small Town for the start of the 2nd qtr

More Cowbell
    Trying to fit into the NEW TF Family so I got an Hummer SRT10 Turbo. I have my Bring Back Vitor & I HEART Danica Stickers and CUC for President sign with an auto-assault hunting rifle hanging in the crowded gun-rack & my new RIGHT TURNS and Right Wingers RULE decals

Insider
    another not a song. But, it really catches football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P54JW64suZk

--

Blog Entries
    Never thought this would be a good football song but I've heard Todd Rundgren's "Bang on The Drum" a lot.

Insider
    Na na na na, na na NA na, hey heyeeh, goodbye. Should be on there somewhere.

Blog Entries
    You know what's fascinating about these songs? Darn near ALL of them create an opportunity for an oversensitive parent to make a stink. Working backward through this thread:

Na Na Hey Hey-- "Stop encouraging other children to get in my children's face when they fail."
    Bang On My Drum--"Did you know that song's about masturbation!?!"
    Slow Ride--"Are you trying to encourage them all to have premarital sex?!"
    Hot For Teacher--"Do you pay ANY attention to the news these days? Statutory rape is NOT funny!!"
    Rock and Roll Part 2--"That's music from a convicted CHILD MOLESTER; what a GREAT thing to play at a kid's football game!!!"

And I haven't even touched TD's list: "YMCA" is a "code" song for homosexual hooking up, "Enter Sandman" is about dealing drugs, "Tequila" encourages alcohol abuse, "We're Not Gonna Take It" encourages rebellion against your parents, etc., etc., la-de-dah.

Just letting you know what you're potentially up against in 21st Century American Society, TD. Carry on.

Get the NFL Power and the Glory CD.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by skypigeon
    You know what's fascinating about these songs? Darn near ALL of them create an opportunity for an oversensitive parent to make a stink.
    I don't think you have to be overly sensitive. I looked at the list and thought "I sure hope these are almost high school age kids." I'd be quite liberal if i had kids. Nothing on there would bother me. But I don't think they are fully appropriate for, say, elementary school kids. And some parents (the prudes...) wouldn't like a few of them them for their junior high kids. And since it doesn't really take all that much to accomodate those who would be offended, why not at least consider it. My na na na na goodbye suggestion was a joke. I don't think an "in your face" chant would be appropriate.

Not the best song in the world, but show them this video of the best college football team ever assembled.

This team sent FORTY FIVE players to the NFL. And crushed Nebraska in the Rose Bowl!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    I don't think you have to be overly sensitive. I looked at the list and thought "I sure hope these are almost high school age kids." I'd be quite liberal if i had kids. Nothing on there would bother me. But I don't think they are fully appropriate for, say, elementary school kids. And some parents (the prudes...) wouldn't like a few of them them for their junior high kids. And since it doesn't really take all that much to accomodate those who would be offended, why not at least consider it. My na na na na goodbye suggestion was a joke. I don't think an "in your face" chant would be appropriate.

I've been playing these songs for years without complaint.

Looking back on my list it would take somebody so uptight that they haven't pooped in years to complain about my songs.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    I've been playing these songs for years without complaint.

Looking back on my list it would take somebody so uptight that they haven't pooped in years to complain about my songs.
    I don't see any on your list that I thought would be any issue. A few I thought some parents would think were too metal, but that's about it. The ones I didn't think would fly for younger kids were a few of the suggestions. Slow ride, Hot for teacher. When I read those in the post above mine I thought they had been on your list.

The 2001: A Space Oddyssey intro is great for a team entering the arena.
    Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park.

Blog Entries
    William Tell Overture - Long Runs...

Boom by POD (when someone gets lit up), another good one for this is Here Comes the Boom by Nelly

My suggestions may be cheezy, but cheezy works sometimes.

At our local Community College games they play snips from a tune called the Cha-Cha Slide. Lots of folks get up and dance in the aisles and in front of their seats. We got it on Itunes for a CD for an Elementry School dance, everyone gets on the floor for that song. I hadn't heard of it before seeing reaction to it at football games.

At the local Hockey games they play some of these:
    A snippett of the Macerna.
    Crazy Train by Ozzie.
    Who let the Dogs out.
    Cotton-eyed Joe (The electronic sounding version)
    and ... oddly enough, they get a good reaction from snippets from, that old crowd favorite, The Chicken Dance.

The idea is to create a family fun atmosphere. Cheezy works.
    "You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
    -John Morley

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would never play anything by Gary Glitter.
    “Twitter is the spit on the sidewalk of life.”
    "I am glad this prayer did work, and everyone (including the sponsors) were kept safe during the race. "
    “And I don’t wish that girl any bad luck, but I hope she gets hit with a car.”~~ Lasorda

... --- ...
    Quote Originally Posted by JBaiza
    but cheezy works sometimes.

Sometimes I do and sometimes I doesn't.

What about "Hit Me With Your Best shot"?

Driver (PW, 1-putt, bird)
    Would it be considered some sort of NCAA recruitment violation to play "National Emblem" after 1st downs?

1st Down March
    "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

"Surrender" by Cheap Trick. You should play that when your team is up two or three touchdowns TD