Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi official cool old Indy car pics thread

Steve Chassey's car MIS 1981

Not trying to start anything here, but here is Justin Wison in his DP-01 at Road Am in 2007. I checked with ZOOM prior to posting and I agree with him, let's move on.

Notice the crew applying lubricant, sides and back, so AJ could squeeze into that car!!!
    Ignorant men marvel at extraordinary things. Intelligent men admire simple things.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreez99
    Notice the crew applying lubricant, sides and back, so AJ could squeeze into that car!!!
    No, the gittin' in is easy. It's the gittin' out that the B***h!?!?!?

IIRC one year at the beginning of practice for the 500 everyone had their new cars from March except AJ. His was the last March built that year and it was late getting to Indy. Everyone was questioning what deamon tweak AJ was having March build into his car. They were all surprised when the car finally arrived. It looked exactly like the others for that year.

Except the cockpit was two inches wider than all the rest!

ZOOOM
    "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
    James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Dario Franchitti taken at Daytona in 2008 before the Rolex 24

Helio taken in 2008 at Daytona before the Rolex 24

Will Power at Indy, 2008

Mario at MIS 1983

JR at MIS 1985

AJ IV at Indy 2008

Quote Originally Posted by sneva33
    JR at MIS 1985

One absolutely class individual...
    ZOOOM

Bill Alsup in the 3rd Penske car, MIS 1981. Does anyone know why Roger opted to run a full-time 3rd car for this guy. Was it purely a money move or did RP really believe in Bill?

Rick Mears MIS 1982 (fall race)

Paul Tracy at Road America in 2007, CCWS

Great shots, guys!

There are far better camera people out there than I am.
    And I'm glad of ot!
    MORE!
    MORE!

ZOOOM

There's life beyondnascar
    These are GREAT! Thanks for the effort!
    Please visit the tributes to my favorites:

Swede Savage / Art Pollard / Mel Kenyon /
    Joe Leonard / Peter Revson

Indy Kids

Bill Alsup in the 3rd Penske car, MIS 1981. Does anyone know why Roger opted to run a full-time 3rd car for this guy. Was it purely a money move or did RP really believe in Bill?
    M-O-N-E-Y

Insider
    I can't see Penske taking money from just anyone to run a 3rd car. I wonder if the deal to run a 3rd car came out of a prior business relationship?

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48
    I can't see Penske taking money from just anyone to run a 3rd car. I wonder if the deal to run a 3rd car came out of a prior business relationship?

I've always wondered about it. Especially considering that the previous Sept he ran the 3rd car @ MIS for Mario with this sponsorship on it (I mainly remember it because he won). Then the next year here's this guy named Alsup, never made much sense to me given Roger's usually good judgement when it came to drivers.

Sebastian Bourdais at RA, 2007

Tom Sneva MIS 1981, taking the newly arrived March backup car out

JR and the Chapparal, MIS 1981

Insider
    I was at MIS in '81 for the original date and then the postponed date a week later. I only came on race day then, but you miss a lot. In more recent times, I get a garage pass and stay more than one day whenever I can...

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48
    I think you are correct but there may be several reasons. AB Dick likely already had another tie to Penske and part of the deal was translated into a 3rd car. And people forget that Alsup was a really bright guy and fit in well with corporate sponsors. He was also something of an up an coming driver (at least a little) having won the USAC Mini-Indy championship in an Argo Super Vee in what was billed as being the training ground for future stars. Alsup also previously owned his own Indy Car (a PC-7 sponsored by Polaroid and bought from Penske) and was good at getting sponsors himself. He may have even been involved in finalizing the Dick deal for Penske. It would be interesting to know. And in fairness to Alsup I'm not sure he ever got entirely first class help with his car. I seem to remember certain aero components that were on Unser's and Mear's cars at Indy that never made their way to the Alsup car. But the main reason that Alsup got the ride may have been his relationship with Roger's son. IIRC, Alsup helped Roger Penske, Jr. learn the ropes when he first started racing Super Vees.

Quote Originally Posted by indyrjc
    I think you are correct but there may be several reasons. AB Dick likely already had another tie to Penske and part of the deal was translated into a 3rd car. And people forget that Alsup was a really bright guy and fit in well with corporate sponsors. He was also something of an up an coming driver (at least a little) having won the USAC Mini-Indy championship in an Argo Super Vee in what was billed as being the training ground for future stars. Alsup also previously owned his own Indy Car (a PC-7 sponsored by Polaroid and bought from Penske) and was good at getting sponsors himself. He may have even been involved in finalizing the Dick deal for Penske. It would be interesting to know. And in fairness to Alsup I'm not sure he ever got entirely first class help with his car. I seem to remember certain aero components that were on Unser's and Mear's cars at Indy that never made their way to the Alsup car. But the main reason that Alsup got the ride may have been his relationship with Roger's son. IIRC, Alsup helped Roger Penske, Jr. learn the ropes when he first started racing Super Vees.

'

I think you may have hit it best about Roger Jr. I had never heard that. RP would definitetly be one to "repay" any sort of help like that. That combined with Alsup's PR skills and admittedly success in the "ladder: series may have been what brought it all together. Thanks.

And why Desire failed to qualify:

JR and the Chapparal, MIS 1981

The most beautiful car I've ever seen (the Norton Spirit PC-9B and the '82 Wildcat are a close second).