Thread: Gold Rush Alaska Fake? I guess So

I just want 1994 back. Formula Indy's Avatar

Gold Rush Alaska Fake? I guess So

What is it with reality tv anymore? It is staged, fiction. Check out this link to Dorsey's blog.
    He talks about what is real, and not real.

The Glory Hole

I also read that through the whole summer they only mined 20k worth of gold.

"I would like to be able to admire a person's opinions as I would their dog - without being expected to take it home with me." ---- Frank A. Clark
    " it only makes sense for the world's most prestigious fried chicken to pair up with the world's most prestigious watch brand" ---D. Byrd

You can sum up all these shows on Discovery with the following statement:

Dudes with facial hair screaming obscenities at each other. Doesn't matter if they are making motorbikes, extracting crabs or salmon from the ocean or gold from the earth. It's the same show.

I don't watch network television except for the news and sports, which means I don't usually watch sit-coms, drama's and I don't watch any reality shows no matter what channel they're on. I usually only watch informative & educational programming on channels such as Discovery Science, Discovery ID, History Channel, History International, the Military Channel, etc..

I used to watch the History Channel non-stop but lately I'm getting disgusted with shows that keep cropping up such as Axe Men, Ice Road Truckers, Pawn Stars, American Pickers, etc. that really have nothing to do with History. That forces me to another channel where I can find the kind of educational programming I enjoy. Even though the History Channel went on the air in 1995 there's still plenty of history they can create programs for without having to regularly repeat the same thing. And they definitely shouldn't be jumping on the reality-show band-wagon like too many other channels just for ratings...IMO.
    My first Indy 500 was 1973, haven't missed one since 1981. To date I have attended 36 Indy 500's, and probably 100 or so other IndyCar races (CART & IRL).

Pawn Stars and American Pckers sort of are back door history lessons. They tend to tell stories about whatever piece of junk that winds up on their counter so its sort of educational
    I can watch 3 or 4 Pawn Stars episodes in a row. The 2 clowns on American Pickers start annoying me about 2/3 of the way thru one episode
    Both showss can be entertaining.
    Neither show belongs on History Channel

Ive seen the promo for the Ax Men & Gold Rush shows. Looks to me like the on air talent for those shows have been told OK the talent on the other reality shows on history channel yell and fight but are friends again when the credits roll so thats what you need to do

"Deadlist Catch" gets a pass cuz they were first in line for this new genre so there really was no template for them to follow IMO
    God loves Jim Nabors

But the "Deadliest Catch" got it's message across in it's first episode. I sure am glad I don't have to catch crabs for my pay.
    "Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

I'm a sucker, I watch Gold Rush, Ax Men, Alaskan State Troopers, Deadliest Catch et al.

I must say golf rush is pretty darn boring, but with DVR it is much easier to stomach some of the shows.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    I'm a sucker, I watch Gold Rush, Ax Men, Alaskan State Troopers, Deadliest Catch et al.

I must say golf rush is pretty darn boring, but with DVR it is much easier to stomach some of the shows.
    Yeah, golf rush isn't fun to watch, but it's a hoot to play!
    www.dulcetroad.com

My Band's website!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Formula Indy View Post

What is it with reality tv anymore? It is staged, fiction. Check out this link to Dorsey's blog.
    He talks about what is real, and not real.

The Glory Hole

I also read that through the whole summer they only mined 20k worth of gold.

I'm not clicking ANY link with the title "GLORY HOLE"!

One thing I saw the other day on Gold Rush that cracked me up was when one of the guys called his wife back home to tell her that her little son saw a grizzly bear near the camp. Why the husband felt he needed to worry his wife is beyond me but I love how they show the wife on the phone. As if they had a camera crew sitting at the house waiting for a phone call. One of these days once this reality craze is over I hope some of the producers spill the beans on how fake so much of these shows are.

To me, Deadliest Catch seems authentic. You guys think it is semi fiction as well?

To me, Deadliest Catch seems authentic. You guys think it is semi fiction as well?
    Deadliest Catch was one 'reality show' I initially liked & watched. I do believe as it moved on into later seasons much of it was scripted or at least heavily influenced as far as the confrontations and animosity between crew-members for the audience's sake.

Blog Entries
    'Flying Wild Alaska' is the real deal. Excellent portrayal of a situation that doesn't need any extra drama. You think fishing in bad Alaska weather is tough, try flying in it.

I was born in western Bush Alaska and lived there for 30 years. I don't know anyone who died on a fishing boat - but I can't count the number of pilots and passengers I know who have been killed. To sort that out, you have to go by years, who was killed in 2010 and so on. I once flew with a guy whose father and older brother had been killed in separate accidents. He later died as well as a close cousin. His twin brother is the only one left surviving. He's a state legislator and still flying, crashed a 310 last summer but walked away. This time.

Alaska has less than 1/3 of 1% of the US population but almost a quarter of the aircraft fatalities.

More real than Sarah's Alaska??

It was real when it was new. I met the wife of one of them. Remember the wife with the heavy accent that went out with the crew one time? May have been Sigs wife.
    She said its all real and that was what life on a boat really was like.

Also when I was in Seattle I met a few of the fishermen as they were coming home for a few weeks. No one from the boats you see on the show, just anonymous crabbers
    They were wore out, ready to be home and not in the mood for talking. but they said the same thing
    Now that was a couple seasons ago so maybe theyve juiced it up a bit since then but its hard to fake 60lb blocks of ice hitting a kid in the head or Coast Guard pulling guys out of the Bering Sea

I have noticed the crew often wears Deadliest Catch sweatshirts and their wet weather gear has alot more messages written on them lately so theyre playing to the camera a little bit, but on that deck I bet they forget the cameras are rolling.

Blog Entries
    And it gets worse. Animal Planet channel is "casting" in Alaska for a new reality series, 'Alaska Fishermen's Wives.'

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    And it gets worse. Animal Planet channel is "casting" in Alaska for a new reality series, 'Alaska Fishermen's Wives.'
    So that will be women with facial hair screaming obscenities at each other.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure there will be lots of scenes of lonely women drinking in bars with their husband's best friends. Slow dissolve as they get up and walk out the door....

And then there's "Swamp People"

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goes211 View Post
    “Twitter is the spit on the sidewalk of life.”
    "I am glad this prayer did work, and everyone (including the sponsors) were kept safe during the race. "
    “I'm getting tired of you. You never push a noun against a verb without trying to blow up something.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilke View Post
    I'm sure there will be lots of scenes of lonely women drinking in bars with their husband's best friends. Slow dissolve as they get up and walk out the door....
    slow disolve to the walk of shame.....

I was really hoping it was going to be a good show.

I've been a huge Pierre Burton fan since I was a little todler. Burton is a fairly famous writer, whose genre was the Canadian wilderness exploration. Burton's titles were usually about the Klondike or the building of railroads.

Tried to convince Dad that I wanted to pan for gold....just like in his books.

Dad being a reasonable person, said no, to the Klondike expedition. He did however buy a mini plastic gold pan and took me down to the North Saskatchewanriver which runs through downtown Edmonton. The river contains a lot of flour placer gold.

Pretty cool day, it was. It did cure me of the 'gold bug' though, didnt like the idea of having my feet in cold water all day.
    .....every dog was born free to live, even if it means dying.

fav car pics
    http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20car%20pics/

Quote Originally Posted by goes211 View Post
    That's one show that seems to me like it'd be better on The Discovery Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by badart View Post
    Yeah, golf rush isn't fun to watch, but it's a hoot to play!
    Heck, we have "Golf Rush" too: www.thegolfchannel.com/haney-project/limbaugh/

Some of the "reality" shows are just ridiculous. What kind of maroon rots his brain this stuff? Gotta run, I'm having a The Hills season four marathon tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by MethanolBuzzed View Post
    That's one show that seems to me like it'd be better on The Discovery Channel.

...or Tru-TV.

Quote Originally Posted by indyracefan View Post
    ...or Tru-TV.
    Don't get me started on that. It took me a while to convince my sister that Operation Repo was fake. Not reality, actuality!

... --- ...
    I enjoy the Alaska Experiment. Also those guys that hunt meteorites. I don't watch often, mostly when I happen across it.
    ...---...

Don't get me started on that. It took me a while to convince my sister that Operation Repo was fake. Not reality, actuality!

That's funny, I also had to convince a 'female' that Operation Repo was totally set-up. I told her that the show is based on actual repo incidents however it is 'scripted' and 'dramatized' for television, she seemed dismayed after that. Heck the big bald white guy isn't even a repo-man nor has he ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by indyracefan View Post
    ...or Tru-TV.
    Yup, that one too.

As much as I like shows like Ice Road Truckers and IRT: Deadliest Roads, they are out of place on The History Channel as well IMO.