Thread: Slow Direct TV channel changes

Slow Direct TV channel changes

I know this was mentioned some time ago... my DTV DVR is really reacting SLOW! when I channel change... white screen before it flips... I am fearing complete failure on a busy racing weekend. Any reset suggestions before I have to call them???

Thanks
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    I know this was mentioned some time ago... my DTV DVR is really reacting SLOW! when I channel change... white screen before it flips... I am fearing complete failure on a busy racing weekend. Any reset suggestions before I have to call them???

Thanks
    I have had the same problems before. Come to think of it, my DTV DVR has been doing the same thing of late. I've called before and they will tell you to reset it and run a system check. If I were you, I'd call and setup to get a new one. Do you have the $5/month protection plan?
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    I have had the same problems before. Come to think of it, my DTV DVR has been doing the same thing of late. I've called before and they will tell you to reset it and run a system check. If I were you, I'd call and setup to get a new one. Do you have the $5/month protection plan?
    rut roh.. nope, nor$5 per month, guess maybe I should do that first huh? Wonder if I do that now and call next week if they would honor it?????

I did unplug the system, including cables.... made a tiny improvment.. I think this happens when then upgrade their system... and mine

Blog Entries
    Same thing here, it gets annoying for sure. I've tried resetting before and I really don't think it does anything. I don't think it's indicative of your receiver going bad, as mine has done it for nearly a year.
    "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

Hoping Ren Butler chimes in on this one....he is usually in the know with regards to DTV.

Same thing here. Seems like 15 - 20 seconds at times.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    Hoping Ren Butler chimes in on this one....he is usually in the know with regards to DTV.
    Nah, all I know of is soft and hard resets. I'd try the first, and then the other.

Changing channels on my HD DVR has never been fast, but I don't think it's any slower recently than normal. Certainly nothing like 15- or 20-second delays.

If I had a problem with DirecTV, I'd spend some time at dbstalk.com.

EDIT: In fact, here's a thread just started on Wednesday: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=194211

Another one: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=194196
    Proud member of the Spring 2014 Circle City Athletics Adult Co-Ed Indoor Intermediate 6-Man Championship Volleyball Team

Resident of the NE Vista Mario4ever's Avatar
    Check the receiver model if your channel changes are slow. The older models are slow. I had mine replace last year with an HR24. That was the newest model at the time and is much faster. Launching the guide has slowed some recently, though.
    "If you wait, all that happens is you get older" - Mario Andretti

Blog Entries
    Happening with us too, and resetting doesn't help. We do have the protection plan, so they'll be getting a call this weekend.
    TrackForum Pick 5 2014 Point Standings

"I believe that God is love, and that's enough..." John Wetton

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Mine has been brutally slow this week. 15 to 20 seconds sounds about right.

My 80's cable is working just fine.

As usual...

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    My 80's cable is working just fine.

As usual...
    I'd be on cable if it were available. It's a mile away.

Blog Entries
    The problem is not with the satellite technology. It's with one type of receiver provided by one satellite provider.

Nice try though, crispy.

Back on topic...

Saying "my cable works fine" in a DirecTV thread is like saying "my 1994 Cavilier works fine" in a Lexus thread.

Anyway, do the following:

First, DVRs use two outputs from your dish. Esentually a DVR is two receivers. Make sure you can record one show while watching another, to confirm that both receivers and both outputs from your dish are working. What a DVR does when you change channels is, unless you are recording, swap between the outputs, and one might be bad, so the system will, after a hesitation, go to the other. If that is the issue, then it is either the dish or the box. Call the Tech CSR. They will determine which one and do the appropriate fix.

Next do a "red button reset". Open up the door where the access card goes and push the red button. The owner's manual will tell you that the "reset" function you can access from the on-screen menu is the same, but it is not.

If that does not solve the problem, on a clear night with no weather expected, pull the plug on the receiver and leave it unplugged for at least 30 seconds, then plug it back in. Look at the TV and it should be in the "installing" mode. Turn the TV off, but not the box, and go to bed. The instal program will run itself and take about 40 minutes. It should be fine in the morning.

Lastly, simply call DirecTV and tell the tech CSR that the thing does not work AT ALL. They cannot and will not check. They will send you out a brand new box by Fed Ex at no charge and you just send the "broken" one back and all will be fine.

Never buy the "protection plan".

Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    Saying "my cable works fine" in a DirecTV thread is like saying "my 1994 Cavilier works fine" in a Lexus thread.

Anyway, do the following:

First, DVRs use two outputs from your dish. Esentually a DVR is two receivers. Make sure you can record one show while watching another, to confirm that both receivers and both outputs from your dish are working. What a DVR does when you change channels is, unless you are recording, swap between the outputs, and one might be bad, so the system will, after a hesitation, go to the other. If that is the issue, then it is either the dish or the box. Call the Tech CSR. They will determine which one and do the appropriate fix.

Next do a "red button reset". Open up the door where the access card goes and push the red button. The owner's manual will tell you that the "reset" function you can access from the on-screen menu is the same, but it is not.

If that does not solve the problem, on a clear night with no weather expected, pull the plug on the receiver and leave it unplugged for at least 30 seconds, then plug it back in. Look at the TV and it should be in the "installing" mode. Turn the TV off, but not the box, and go to bed. The instal program will run itself and take about 40 minutes. It should be fine in the morning.

Lastly, simply call DirecTV and tell the tech CSR that the thing does not work AT ALL. They cannot and will not check. They will send you out a brand new box by Fed Ex at no charge and you just send the "broken" one back and all will be fine.

Never buy the "protection plan".
    Sam, being a DTV subscriber since 1996 ( on and off) I am aware of most of your tips, but is good to be reminded, I run through all of them, and if no improvement, I will go the "it is "broken" option. I have never paid for Insurance for inside or outside equipment. Normally if you say sorry then, I am switching services, you get a good deal...

I've been researching this on the dbs forum website (http://www.dbstalk.com/). One possible solution someone posted was to do a double reset from the menu. Go to the setup screen and choose the reset option. When the video and audio returns, do the reset again. I just did it and it definitely improved the situation. The theory is that some corrupt guide data was downloaded and the double reset clears out the guide data. Don't know the technical details if this is actually true, but my channel changing perfomance definitely improved after doing this. Just thought I'd throw this out there for you to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario4ever View Post
    I've been researching this on the dbs forum website (http://www.dbstalk.com/). One possible solution someone posted was to do a double reset from the menu. Go to the setup screen and choose the reset option. When the video and audio returns, do the reset again. I just did it and it definitely improved the situation. The theory is that some corrupt guide data was downloaded and the double reset clears out the guide data. Don't know the technical details if this is actually true, but my channel changing perfomance definitely improved after doing this. Just thought I'd throw this out there for you to try.
    Okay, I did the hard reset, maybe a bit of better, now I am going to do the double secret doube reset... stay tuned! Thanks !

I think there's a bug in the DTV system - I'm having the same issues on some channels, but not all. I'm convinced it's not my reciever.

Any more news on this situation?

10-15 seconds... I guess I should stop complaining about my FIOS taking a full second... before the DVR I was use to not skipping a beat.
    "Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    Any more news on this situation?
    The double reset technique I tried from dbstalk seemed to help for a couple of days, but now the long delay is back sometimes. Guess we'll just have to wait for DTV to send a software update.