Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheese Curds

Cheese Curds

I was introduced to the gloriousness of the Cheese Curd on a trip many, many moons ago to Road America.

They are only available at Culvers in the Indy area, and not at any stores - that I can find, at least.

Cheeseczar, or anyone else, any thoughts on either homemade cheese curds, or mail order cheese curds?

What I have found online is that they are $5/lb or so, but cost an arm & a leg in shipping.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA!

... --- ...
    Google Lynn's Custom Meats. Fresh squeaky curds!

There must be somewhere around Indianapolis that has them I should think.
    ...---...

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseczar View Post
    Google Lynn's Custom Meats. Fresh squeaky curds!

There must be somewhere around Indianapolis that has them I should think.
    Culvers, but other than that I can't find them online.

Should probably begin a meticulous search of cheese shops via telephone.

... --- ...
    I just stumbled upon a site that said Meijer's might carry them.

Haven't found them in the south Indy Meijer. That doesn't surprise me though.

Frozen curds won't do, they lose their squekyness once frozen. Had a sales rep in Wisconsin that sent us curds by the case I think this is the place, and they were yummy!

http://www.ellsworthcheesecurds.com/...ese-curds.aspx
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

There's a site that has recipes for making your own cheese, hence curds...

http://schmidling.com/making.htm

Says it's no more complicated to make your own cheese as it is to brew your own beer...which would probably go pretty good with homemade cheese...

Dan
    Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    There's a site that has recipes for making your own cheese, hence curds...

http://schmidling.com/making.htm

Says it's no more complicated to make your own cheese as it is to brew your own beer...which would probably go pretty good with homemade cheese...

Dan
    No offense, using store bought 2 % milk to make cheese is like grilling a hot dog and serving it as filet mignon....

Eating cheese through our trip to Switzerland was like seeing art an museum. Different areas, different altitudes, different grazing options=equaled a different taste in the cheeses..., Same is true here I am sure

Meijer's here in Cincinnati carry them. I saw them the other day. They are in the "specialty" cheese cooler.

Just exactly what is a cheese curd? I did a google search and found a site explaining how to make your own, but it looks rather time consuming and I just didn't have the patience to read it all. Is it like cottage cheese or are you talking about cheese bits that you fry?

Quote Originally Posted by Snow61 View Post
    Just exactly what is a cheese curd? I did a google search and found a site explaining how to make your own, but it looks rather time consuming and I just didn't have the patience to read it all. Is it like cottage cheese or are you talking about cheese bits that you fry?
    Well, Little Ms Muffett sat on her tuffet eating her curds and whey.. curds are a part of the cheese making process that happens when the cheese is in the brining process and it left when the cheese is squeezed in to the forms for brining.. they are small nuggets of squeaky salty goodness... but lose some of their qualities if forzen. I don't think they are pastureized which is why it can be difficult to find, some states have prohibited selling them because of health concerns...

Also, cottage cheese is made with a curd... as in the curdling process
    Or at least I think this is pretty correct..

Man, this thread is french fries and gravy away from perfect.

Dairy Queen has them now too. I think I saw them at Hampton's in Greenwood. But I would call first.

Jason
    I want chicken I want liver meow mix meow mix please deliver

Are these a Northern or Midwest sort of thing? I hadn't heard of them before. Mr Obvious here didn't make the connection with Ms Muffett thing. Guess I need to Google Whey now.

Time to search for cheese curds. They sound tasty.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be misquoted and used against you.

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Cheese curds are mainly a Wisconsin white cheddar food and spills over into surrounding states a little bit. Fried cheese curds are a staple bar food appetizer in Wisconsin and spills over into the Minnesota cities close by on the border. Groceries sell fresh raw cheese curds. You can tell if they are fresh if they squeak when you chew them. Not only will freezing kill the squeak but you lose the squeak after just a few days in the refrigerator.
    Davydd (Anglicized Welsh name for David...that's all) Real name: David Stovall, Tonka Bay, MN
    Certified BPT Taster Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
    Long lost Speedway Sparkplug thrashing about in the deep woods of Minnesota

Keyed Up And Conched Out. Jack Harrington's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Meijer's DOES carry them...For about a dollar a piece...
    My major malfunction is...I want the people I love and respect to live forever...The problem is...Life don't work that way...

P.S. Questions, comments, death threats, invitations to a pigs bris, my number is still (317) 809-4483

Pursuing Pork Tenderloins Davydd's Avatar
    Here are deep-fried cheese curds from the Minnesota State Fair Mouthtrap booth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FTHurley View Post
    Man, this thread is french fries and gravy away from perfect.
    So basically you're saying Lil' Miss Muffett was noshing on poutine?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZUL8TR View Post
    Are these a Northern or Midwest sort of thing? I hadn't heard of them before. Mr Obvious here didn't make the connection with Ms Muffett thing. Guess I need to Google Whey now.

Time to search for cheese curds. They sound tasty.
    They're beyond tasty, they're orgasmic...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Harrington View Post
    They're beyond tasty, they're orgasmic...
    I'd call that a TBO.

OK, so thinking I'm not getting it. Had cheese curds for the first time tonight from a Culvers in Anderson, IN. Are those considered good? I mean some still say Mug-n-Bun makes a good tenderloin when it is really a fritter. That's what I felt I got. Too much breading and not enough substance.

I was expecting something different. Not exactly sure what, but something different. Maybe a tempura batter would have done it. Are you supposed to put anything on them? All I could thing of were fried cheese sticks needing marinara.

Atlanta,IN (Southeastern Tipton County, not a 29er)
    OK, so thinking I'm not getting it. Had cheese curds for the first time tonight from a Culvers in Anderson, IN. Are those considered good? I mean some still say Mug-n-Bun makes a good tenderloin when it is really a fritter. That's what I felt I got. Too much breading and not enough substance.

I was expecting something different. Not exactly sure what, but something different. Maybe a tempura batter would have done it. Are you supposed to put anything on them? All I could thing of were fried cheese sticks needing marinara.
    Cheese curds are best experienced fresh and raw in all their squeaky glory. (IMO) After breading and frying they become just pretty good fried cheese. (IMO)
    Jim Naden Atlanta, Indiana

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"
    Thomas Sowell

So where around Tipton are you finding them?

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard111 View Post
    Cheese curds are best experienced fresh and raw in all their squeaky glory. (IMO) After breading and frying they become just pretty good fried cheese. (IMO)
    If they come in a vacuum sealed bag, don't bother. If they have a time stamp of today, a few hours old, they're probably good. I only know one place where this is done - Mullins in Knowlton -and I've searched many places in this state for as tasty a treat.

When you say cheese curds I take it you aren't talking about fried Cheetos...

Meanwhile another "Get Off A TF Vacation" card for ZUL8TR for bringing back a thread where we get to hear from Jack again.
    "Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Atlanta,IN (Southeastern Tipton County, not a 29er)
    So where around Tipton are you finding them?
    Nothing like that available in Tipton County.

Get them sometimes when I go to Racine WI which isn't very often.

The setup shop manager's hubby is from Eau Claire WI, she usually brings some when they go for a visit.

The better ones seem to come from upstate WI. My oldest sister used to go somewhere up by Elkhart Lake and bring back some good ones.

they did not serve a dipping sauce with them? Odd, I love fried curds, but they are not anything like fresh curds though... will be having the fried version next weeken actually. Good with marinara, or a japlpeno sauce imho

... --- ...
    I went to Lynn's and paid around $5.00 for a pound of mixed white and yellow cheddar. I can only munch down 5 or 6 at a sitting. They really fill me up. Anymore then that and I'd have to do a sit-up.

I went to Lynn's and paid around $5.00 for a pound of mixed white and yellow cheddar. I can only munch down 5 or 6 at a sitting. They really fill me up. Anymore then that and I'd have to do a sit-up.

You can only munch down 5 or 6 at a sitting? I think that answers ZUL8TR's question because what he received were about the size of a deep fried peanut M & M.

Quote Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
    Here are deep-fried cheese curds from the Minnesota State Fair Mouthtrap booth.

They did not look anything like this.....at all.

I guess Culver's Cheese Curds are to an established Wisconsin pub's Cheese Curds

as a

Mug N Bun Fritter are to a Dawson's Breaded Pork Tenderloin.

"When it's cold outside, I've got the month of May" - The Temptations

"Remember, there is a person on the other side of that post - And for whatever reason, we all gravitated to this site so we must have something in common." - CARTer

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Frozen curds won't do, they lose their squekyness once frozen. Had a sales rep in Wisconsin that sent us curds by the case I think this is the place, and they were yummy!

http://www.ellsworthcheesecurds.com/...ese-curds.aspx
    The first line of the link says it all: vacuum sealed bags. Ellsworth is a 2 on a 10 scale. IMO. But, if it's as good as it gets.......