Thread: Championship Drivers Association

Championship Drivers Association

I wonder what ever happened to this association? It was very good at promoting safety and looking after drivers' families in case of tragedy. Was this disbanded when the merger happened?

The Championship Drivers Association was developed in 1980 with the purpose of giving drivers a unified voice with governing bodies, promoters and the public * particularly in the area of safety.

It is designed for those drivers pursuing a career driving "Indy type" cars and represents competitors who are part of the FedEx Championship Series (CART) and the Indy Racing League (IRL). Under the bylaws of the organization, the CDA can have no voice in any dispute between racing organizations and governing bodies.

Encompassed with the CDA is the Championship Drivers Association Benevolent Fund which is designed to help a driver's family go on with their lives in the event of a tragedy. Further, the fund responds to the needs of a driver who may be forced into retirement due to injury or to begin a new career, according to CDA Executive Director, Jon Potter.

Insider
    Doesn't CARA do the driver's family part of this now?

Also see www.indyfamilyfoundation.com

I did some looking and the nonprofit CDA Benevolent Fund hasn't filed with the IRS since 2002. No web presence and no tax forms means no existence in the modern world.

I would be interested to hear from somebody "in the know" why the organization failed or disbanded.
    You can be a critical fan without being a Critic... Or can you? Quit your b'tchn and enjoy the racing :D

I know they did have some voice. I think it was Vancouver 1998 or 1999?. The drivers had a safety problem with something on the track and said collectively that they would not drive until it was fixed. It was fixed on the Friday and the race was on without any sort of publicity about the incident.

It gave the drivers a collective voice, offered anonymity and no fear from reprisals from owners, track promoters and the sanctioning body.

This was from Aug 2010. I wonder why we haven't heard more from the group about stuff like NH?

Two-time champion Dario Franchitti, IRL and ChampCar veteran Tony Kanaan, and F1 and IndyCar driver Justin Wilson will head a newly-created IndyCar drivers’ association, which was formally announced for the first time today.
    The Drivers' Assocaition, similar to the Formula 1 Drivers' Association and the now-defunct Championship Drivers Association, will give drivers a unified voice to help the series management determine safety and competition regulations.
    According to Autosport magazine, Dario Franchitti said, "A lot of us sit and talk, but to get everybody in a room together was the main focus.

"We'll get the opinions of everybody about safety—the things we see at the tracks that others don't. It's been a long time coming."

According to IndyStar.com, Tony Kanaan said the goal would be, “... to work with the league, not against it."

The IRL needs to make the rules and we need to follow them,” he said. “That’s why rules are rules.”

Drivers met during the Mid-Ohio race weekend (August 6–8) to finalize their plans.

Rushing into anything right now would be a sugar high. It'll all work out in the favor of driver's safety without losing focus on the sport. This terrible accident has unified the sport (as a whole), in a way nothing else could have, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Canada View Post
    I know they did have some voice. I think it was Vancouver 1998 or 1999?. The drivers had a safety problem with something on the track and said collectively that they would not drive until it was fixed. It was fixed on the Friday and the race was on without any sort of publicity about the incident.

It gave the drivers a collective voice, offered anonymity and no fear from reprisals from owners, track promoters and the sanctioning body.
    John Potter used to look after that but I don't know what happened to him. Probably fell apart after the split.