Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Hoosiers

Yep... it's gonna take Indiana a lot of years to match the number of banners MSU has hanging from their rafters.
    "Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Quote Originally Posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
    MSU is elite and has one of the best coaches in the nation....Since 1999 Izzo has been to the Final 4 SIX TIMES! That is unreal. It will take IU several years of consistent 25 plus win seasons and deep tourney runs to get to MSU's level, IMO of course.
    I agree with that. MSU is definitely elite status, IMO.

IU has a LONG way to go to match that, but I do believe that they have the opportunity ahead of them to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    I agree with that. MSU is definitely elite status, IMO.

IU has a LONG way to go to match that, but I do believe that they have the opportunity ahead of them to do so.
    But IU has five titles to MSU's two. Seems that should be the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cobain View Post
    But IU has five titles to MSU's two. Seems that should be the other way around.
    Can't dispute the disparity in titles....but MSU is leaps and bounds a better a team than IU has been the last 20 years and more recently the entire 2000's. You think recruits today care about titles won back in the 80's and 70's before they were born? I doubt it.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Can't dispute the disparity in titles....but MSU is leaps and bounds a better a team than IU has been the last 20 years and more recently the entire 2000's. You think recruits today care about titles won back in the 80's and 70's before they were born? I doubt it.
    In the 2000's yes, in the 90's no. IU had some of their best teams ever in the 90's. The talent that IU has coming in far exceeds the talent that MSU is recruiting. Gary Harris is a stud, but IU is 5 studs deep next year. 2014 is shaping up to be even better. IU is a legendary program. It won't take nearly as long as you say to regain that aura.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Simpson View Post
    In the 2000's yes, in the 90's no. IU had some of their best teams ever in the 90's. The talent that IU has coming in far exceeds the talent that MSU is recruiting. Gary Harris is a stud, but IU is 5 studs deep next year. 2014 is shaping up to be even better. IU is a legendary program. It won't take nearly as long as you say to regain that aura.
    I will still take Coach Izzo....he has the track record.

Fair enough, but Crean is an Izzo disciple who has had plenty of success in the past.

Fair enough, but Crean is an Izzo disciple who has had plenty of success in the past.
    Yep, sure. Quinn Snyder was a disciple of Coach K....where is he now?

I've outlined Crean's stats before going to IU....they are good but not great. If they were, Crean would've been IU's number 1 choice from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    I'm not thinking about two years... I'm just trying to wrap my imagination around how good Victor will be in his Junior year after seeing his improvement following his Freshman year.
    Impossible.

I've been told by people that Crean doesn't develop players.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Yes.

Don't take my word for it. Listen to the recruits. That's why your attempt at selective historical references doesn't work. You can't carve out the years since Myles Brand aborted IU's basketball program and say that MSU is more elite than IU. It's a package deal.

In the 2000's yes, in the 90's no.
    IU was the Big Ten's best team in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

IU had some of their best teams ever in the 90's. The talent that IU has coming in far exceeds the talent that MSU is recruiting. Gary Harris is a stud, but IU is 5 studs deep next year. 2014 is shaping up to be even better. IU is a legendary program. It won't take nearly as long as you say to regain that aura.
    Exactly.

Stunning.

Yep, sure. Quinn Snyder was a disciple of Coach K....where is he now?
    And Coach K is a disciple of Bob Knight. Where is he now?

I've outlined Crean's stats before going to IU....they are good but not great. If they were, Crean would've been IU's number 1 choice from the get go.
    I couldn't care less if he went 0-22 at St Mary of the Woods. I love Coach Crean's future.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    IU was the Big Ten's best team in the 70s, 80s and 90s.
    And those were damn good times...

And I truly think that Crean can get them back to elite status... but more importantly, it appears as if recruits and their parents think that too.

They do at Iowa in wrestling.

Driver (PW, 1-putt, bird)
    Bottom line, despite dyli's refusal to accept, is Indiana's resurgence is WAY ahead of schedule, and the MSU win was the icing on the cake when combo'd with the KEN, OSU, MICH, and @ PU wins. I'd still like'd to have notched a Top 25 road win, but we pretty much held serve at home (save Minny), and actually over-achieved away from AH IMO (the bad Neb loss is more than equalized by wins over ND, NC State, Pur, Min, and even Eville).

I'm assuming a win Sunday, then hoping for 2-1 (at least) in the BTT.

A 3-5 seed for these guys in the NCAA's is well ahead of schedule, and with next year's haul, we'll see where it goes.
    "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Nobody... and I mean nobody, has a Track Record until Tom Carnegie says so!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattndallas View Post
    Bottom line, despite dyli's refusal to accept, is Indiana's resurgence is WAY ahead of schedule, and the MSU win was the icing on the cake when combo'd with the KEN, OSU, MICH, and @ PU wins. I'd still like'd to have notched a Top 25 road win, but we pretty much held serve at home (save Minny), and actually over-achieved away from AH IMO (the bad Neb loss is more than equalized by wins over ND, NC State, Pur, Min, and even Eville).

A 3-5 seed for these guys in the NCAA's is well ahead of schedule, and with next year's haul, we'll see where it goes.
    Really hope IU gets at least a high 4 seed or a 3 seed. There is a big difference in playing a 12 vs. a 14 seed in 1st round and a 6 seed vs. a 4/5 in the 2nd round. And geographically would have a good chance of playing within a few hours drive of Btown.

I think Purdue will be easily disposed of, as will PSU in 1st round of BTT. That would set up a showdown with Wisky for a potential 3 seed.
    "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

IU has definitely restored order back @ Assembly Hall. It seems that a lot average to below average teams will get in the Big Dance this year so maybe that bode's well for IU chances of getting a 3 seed (but I think 4 or 5 is more likely).

Blog Entries
    Seems strangely appropriate for this thread. Not sure why...

So am I correct in thinking that the winner of the IU/PU game will get the #5 seed in the B1G tourney?

Sunday will be a huge game.

I'm not going to directly compare this team to the 2002 team, but there are some similarities. In 2002, Iowa was much better, but I remember the road win at Iowa kinda made me believe that team might have a little something.

Still kinda early, but if we can

1) get everyone 100%,
    2) hold serve at home,
    3) split the remaining road games,
    4) make the semi's in the BTT,
    5) get hot(ter) shooting from 3

These guys might be able to make a run. That said, I'm reasonably happy with the season thus far.
    Well, hey, I guess I'm not the only one who see's similarities in the 2002 team with this crew...

2002 IU vs 2012

Well, hey, I guess I'm not the only one who see's similarities in the 2002 team with this crew...

2002 IU vs 2012
    Mark Titus also wrote the same thing back in Dec (on the same website): http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...power-rankings
    Life's too short to worry/Life's too long to wait
    Too short not to love everybody/Life's too long to hate

"There are a number of very knowledgeable and entertaining race fans here. There are also a number of morons. Your job is to figure out which is which." - Rev-Ed

So am I correct in thinking that the winner of the IU/PU game will get the #5 seed in the B1G tourney?
    That has to be correct, unless Purdue wins, and Wisconsin loses. Who won their head to head(s)?

Blog Entries
    IU has definitely restored order back @ Assembly Hall. It seems that a lot average to below average teams will get in the Big Dance this year so maybe that bode's well for IU chances of getting a 3 seed (but I think 4 or 5 is more likely).
    I think the only way IU is a 5 seed is if they lose both to PU and in 1st round of BTT. Most bracketology sites I've seen have them as 3/4 right now and obviously how they finish the season will be a big factor.

I would be stunned if they don't beat PU at home and more stunned if they don't win their 1st round BTT game. The 3/4 will likely hinge on winning the 2nd BTT game.

When you focus on what the committee looks at - RPI, stength of conference, strength of schedule, record vs. top 25 and top 50 teams, quality road wins (IU is one of only like 7 teams to beat 4 teams on the road by 10 plus points), recent play, etc. IU comes out fairly favorable. They had 2 or 3 **** games they should have won, but I think beating 3 top-5 teams outweighs that.

If IU wins the BTT, I don't think a 2 seed is entirely out of the question. I don't think it's likely but it's not completely unrealistic as it will basically be a home crowd. If IU wins the BTT, they would be 28-7 with possibly 8 wins over ranked opponents and would be 11-1 in their 12 most recent games. That equates to a 31-4 mark in every other league in the country.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Noonan View Post
    I think the only way IU is a 5 seed is if they lose both to PU and in 1st round of BTT. Most bracketology sites I've seen have them as 3/4 right now and obviously how they finish the season will be a big factor.
    I thought it was 5 seed in the BTT.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by midtown View Post
    I thought it was 5 seed in the BTT.
    I was referring to potential NCAA tournament seed. If IU beats PU they are the 5 seed in the BTT.

I have session 1 tickets & I am taking my daughter with me to see her first IU bball game.

I guess if they are the 6 seed then I'll be going to both sessions.... which isn't a bad thing because I'm a lifelong IU fan that went to Purdue... and I'm a big fan of what Coach Painter has done in WLF.

Saturday will be an interesting day for sure.

and I'm a big fan of what Coach Painter has done in WLF.

Saturday will be an interesting day for sure.

registered
    I just hope Jim Burr, Valentine, and Hightower don't all show up down there together.

Then there is another guy, I don't know his name, but he has black hair slicked back, he reffed the Purdue Oklahoma game a couple years ago. He is another bad one in the big ten. Most of the others aren't too bad. Burr hasn't been around the Big Ten too much this year, has he?

Valentine doesn't want the game to get in the way of his officiating. I told my son last night at Mackey that he does Broadway in the off season.