Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does NASCAR have that IndyCar doesn’t?

Hybrid View

What does NASCAR have that IndyCar doesn’t?

Attractive article comparing IndyCar and NASCAR:
    http://newtrackrecord.com/2012/01/20...ndycar-doesnt/

Hoping the Serie is on the right track now.

To answer the thread title: $$$$$$$$

The Ladder Broke in 74
    A skilled marketing department
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Lots of fans ? Actually Nascar's numbers are in a very slow but steady decline, while if we can depend on IICS data, Indycar is on a very slow but steady upswing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuff View Post
    Lots of fans ? Actually Nascar's numbers are in a very slow but steady decline, while if we can depend on IICS data, Indycar is on a very slow but steady upswing.
    In any case, the split with CART was very stormy. Both series greatly suffered.
    Currently, there are a rebirth.

As far as I'm concerned, I like the international side from IndyCar Series. All continents are represented, including Africa with Tomas Scheckter.
    This is not the same in NASCAR.

Also:

Ugly & slow cars
    Overweight drivers
    Long, boring races
    The inability to turn right
    Fake headlights
    A never-ending season
    Darrell Waltrip
    "Debris" cautions with 5 laps remaining
    Room for error (rubbin's racin' y'all)

You'll notice I didn't put ride-buyers and empty seats

I did not read the link yet, but I would say NASCAR has a very good idea of what they are and are not constantly trying to reinvent themselves.

Blog Entries
    'mericans

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TC in Indy View Post
    I did not read the link yet, but I would say NASCAR has a very good idea of what they are and are not constantly trying to reinvent themselves.
    Sorry but that is just baloney. The Chase, the COT, the Lucky Dog, on and on .........

Quote Originally Posted by BSJracing View Post
    Agreed

If they ran their marketing like IndyCar runs theirs, no one past Richmond or Atlanta would ever hear a peep about NASCAR.
    God loves Jim Nabors

Danica

Munipulated racing (phantom cautions in the closing laps to bunch the field up)
    Money and the fact they can pay there drivers
    Stability of stars - Nascar doesn't normally have huge turn overs each year and they find a wya to keep winning drivers, title contenders, and former champs in the series for years.

Quote Originally Posted by BSJracing View Post
    Although this is the "business" forum it doesn't preclude those with little understanding of business from posting.

Anyone with any marketing training knows you have to have a product to sell (promote) and that you can't sell a product customers don't want.

There's simply no way American racing fans will buy marginally talented Venezuelan ride buyer drivers. Unpromotable.

Any number of token foreign women drivers will not change this.

aintgonnahappen.com

Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    There's simply no way American racing fans will buy marginally talented Venezuelan ride buyer drivers. Unpromotable.
    I don't watch IndyCar for the marginally talented Venezuelan ride buyer drivers. There's plenty about the sport I appreciate without even noticing the Venezuelans

On the other hand, there's nothing compelling to me about slower, fendered cars logjammed together (or in tandem). Not knocking it, just my perspective. But even I enjoy it a bit more if I happen to watch and a former IndyCar driver or Hoosier does well. Or when they race on bricks

I do think American fans, racing or not, can appreciate the world's fastest, most exciting and popular open wheel series on ovals, especially when it includes the Indianapolis 500. The fact is, more of them turn out for that more often than they do for the Chili Bowl or Knoxville.

But it would be nice to have more of both crowds on board. I think the series has invested some in that, too.
    Last edited by Turn13; 01-22-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Its Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Turn13 View Post

1. On the other hand, there's nothing compelling to me about slower, fendered cars logjammed together (or in tandem).

2. The fact is, more of them turn out for that more often than they do for the Chili Bowl or Knoxville.
    1. You can watch the other 32 Cup races a year and never see that sort of "logjammed" racing that is so unappealing. Whether you like it or not, most of American race fans do find whatever NASCAR is doing 'compelling'. So they must be doing some pretty good things to have the market so relishing their product on a weekly and yearly basis.

2. I would hope that the supposed top rung of AOW could garner more fans then a down-the-rung portion of AOW does. Lord help us if they couldn't.
    Prime Minister of Gackland

The blog article alludes to it, but doesn't come right out and say it.... NASCAR has enough longterm fan and sponsor interest that allows for a television contract/package that provides for wide distribution of the product and exposure for the sponsors. Oh, and the TV contract also pays NASCAR handsomely....