Thread: Lotus abandons Barcelona test

Lotus abandons Barcelona test

Lotus only managed to do 7 laps this morning with Romain Grosjean before they parked the car after Grosjean reported that the car felt "strange". Lotus sent the chassis back to the factory for inspection and they have now decided to abandon the Barcelona test, which would indicate that there's something fundamentally wrong with the chassis.

Autosport's technical correspondent suspects that there is an engine mount problem and that the higher aerodynamic loads in Barcelona compared to Jerez made the problem manifest itself.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97616

South Carolina, USA :10 hours from Indy, 80 minutes from Darlington, & 7 hours from Disney World
    Not good but I guess thats why they call it testing
    I was racing when racing wasnt cool

Insider
    The chassis has over 1000 miles on it but they indentified it as a production problem that could reappear. So they decided to go back and make the fix.

illegal user
    Maybe they can make it look good at the same time. All but the McLaren are high on the hideometer. All wax poetic about the sharknose Ferrari of yore, can't wait to see this years creation at Pebble Beach in 2035.
    it is may

Lotus seem to have bounced back from this okay at the subsequent test. Romain Grosjean has been fastest both days so far. Apart from the glitch in the earlier test, Lotus have looked pretty good so far. I wonder how that will hold up when it comes to Melbourne though. F1 testing is pretty well-known for featuring sandbagging.

doitagain's adopted son aaron5572's Avatar
    SEC Country (Kansas City/Columbia, Missouri)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch View Post
    Lotus seem to have bounced back from this okay at the subsequent test. Romain Grosjean has been fastest both days so far. Apart from the glitch in the earlier test, Lotus have looked pretty good so far. I wonder how that will hold up when it comes to Melbourne though. F1 testing is pretty well-known for featuring sandbagging.
    I don't think teams would sandbag forever. I remember Brawn was the fastest in testing in 2009 and they ended up being the fastest in the races too.

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive View Post
    Maybe they can make it look good at the same time. All but the McLaren are high on the hideometer. All wax poetic about the sharknose Ferrari of yore, can't wait to see this years creation at Pebble Beach in 2035.
    I don't know, I think the Lotus is pretty decent actually.

Now, the Ferrari...

Quote Originally Posted by aaron5572 View Post
    I don't think teams would sandbag forever. I remember Brawn was the fastest in testing in 2009 and they ended up being the fastest in the races too.
    From my recent memory, Brawn were a bit of an anomaly in that respect. Fastest last year: Barrichello, Schumacher and Heidfeld @ Jerez, and Kubica, Sutil then Alonso @ Valencia. I think Brawn were pretty confident that they had an awesome car, too. No one seemed to know at the time, however, whether they were quicker than everyone else or the other teams were holding back.

So maybe it's not entirely sandbagging, but just that the teams actually focus on "testing", meaning that the don't go for the fastest laptime at that track, but rather focus on optmising the cars for certain aspects (high vs low speed, for example; or race distance + running).

So far it looks like McLaren has the race pace, but isn't setting gaudy one lap times. Lotus seems to be doing both. Red Bull seems to be more hit/miss--I suspect they will show stronger when P1 starts.

doitagain's adopted son aaron5572's Avatar
    SEC Country (Kansas City/Columbia, Missouri)
    so it seems like Kimi may be quite competitive.......hmm........
    The Original Fan of Kimi "The Iceman" Raikkonen 2007 World Driving Champion: 20 Wins---77 Podiums---16 Pole Positions---39 Fastest Laps ---1 Gorilla Suit World Record 27 Consecutive Points Finishes

I like this quote from Vettel regarding testing:

"You never know where you are until you get to Melbourne and everyone pulls their pants down. Then you can see what they have got and you show what you have got."