Thread: New Supermodified Series

There's Hope for FL OWR Max Revs's Avatar

New Supermodified Series

It's put together by Jim Hanks & the Must See Racing group.

http://www.mustseeracing.com/news-pr...ed-series.html

Interesting. Wish it was non-wing but I see the tie-in to their winged sprint car series. May have to check out one of their races this summer.

Is this series replacing the MSA Super Modified Series?
    "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

http://www.jacksracephotos.net/

I've caught the Must-See series and it's a heckuva show. I wonder if this will lead to a date or two where the sprints and supers compete together heads-up. That would be something.
    Happiness is Friday morning, Road America, first session, rolling down pit lane, course is clear, we are green!

I've only caught one Must See race so far, but I'm going to 3 (or More) this year. Sometimes change is good.

I'm hoping to catch one of these Supermods races too .
    Last edited by Max Revs; 03-07-2012 at 12:01 PM.

It looks like the supers will run with the sprints at select events. The first twinbill is at Winchester(!) in May.

A couple questions--will this be seen a a bit of an invasion of turf for Midwest OW fans and promoters who are partial to sprints and midgets? And, is it prudent to be regularly racing supers a fast tracks like Winchester, Salem, Bristol? I think supers' decent safety record has more to do with the caliber of drivers in them and the respect they have for them than anything special about the cars.

Insider
    fwiw: You may see an Andretti in a super this Summer. Jarett (Aldo's Grandson that just won the Ford Focus Pavement Title) is scheduled to test the Strong *98 Super (Joey Payne drove it last year) at The Big O in May.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I am not familiar with the must see supers, are they are basically non-offset sprint cars with a slightly longer wheelbase? Thier site has alot of info on marketing and zero about the cars. I see Kyle Weigand is racing one of these, he was the fastest Indiana karter the last ten years, way faster than Daily and Newgarden, kind of a waste of talent to be in a short track car instead of a lights car, I think. Salem and Winchester are way too fast for a wing car, the crashes will be big huge at those speeds in the corners.

Insider
    Another plus for the MSR Supers-TV Coverage, and by MSR TV Announcer Tom Bigelow (from the days when The Championship Trail was contested on dirt, road and paved ovals) shown here reunted with our own Mac Miller after many , many years. :>)

photo by Randall Cook

http://wingsideup.com/

Video on page - but from 2 yrs ago, from MSA - whatever that is.

This does not replace MSA. they will complement each other. Both ISMA and MSA cars are elegible. For the unitiated, the cars are offset 18 to 23 inches, have pneumatic wings that change angle of attack with speed, and run 468 inch big Block Engines on methanol. The weights are around 2000 lbs with over 900 horsepower. Left side weight is limited to 68 per cent or less.
    A good race driver, given adequate seat time, can drive any well prepared racecar on any track surface or configuration at competitive speeds. Remember, I said a GOOD race driver!!!

The MSA was a smaller, almost parallel series to the more established ISMA, with more dates closer to the Midwest. It appears to have gone under; the website is down. The west coast SMRA(?) looks to have been in a state of flux recently too. Maybe the Must See group will bring some stability to the genre.

Several years ago at the North-South Modified Shootout in Concord they added an East-West Shootout for Supers.
    It was a hell of a race, West Coast cars ran smaller engines (aluminum block) vs the big block (iron ) East Coast/Midwest cars.
    West Coast won, East Coast right on his ass, the big block car had the speed on the straights but the lighter West Coast car was quicker through the turns.
    Never argue with an idiot.They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

MSA is not out of business. They have a new website. They have a 12 race scedule with more pending. This new series is only three races in 2012. Most of the participants will be MSA and ISMA Regulars. Both West Coasters Kody and Tanner Swanson will be in new Belfiore Big Block cars for this series. In addition, West Coast Rookie sensation Kyle Vanderpool will run selected Must See, MSA, and ISMA races in a new Belfiore owned by Don Penix. Vanderpool will also run the West Coast Races in Penix's Hyder.

SMRA is out of business. There are five West Coast Races at Madera Speedway in 2012 while the West Coast guys try to regroup.

ERA (Englewood Racing Association) is still going strong in Colorado running virtual clones to the West Coast cars. Incidently, the West Coast Supers are not legal for any of the Eastern or Midwest series.

Thanks Gerald. What are the three Must See races? What is the new MSA site? Must catch one of these shows....