Thread: Indycar Dallara DW12 Specifications

Indycar Dallara DW12 Specifications

From Marshall Pruett. . Everthing you need to know about the new car technical specs.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...pecifications/

Can someone tell me what the pushrod does in the suspensions? Ive never known what they actually do...

Quote Originally Posted by ramberg View Post
    Can someone tell me what the pushrod does in the suspensions? Ive never known what they actually do...
    I'm not the most elegant person at explaining things but I'll try. Imagine you're driving a car and you turn you probably want the car to turn as smooth as possible and that means have both your steering tires turning at the same angles. Sometimes on our cars the turn angle between the two tires are not the same and that take more time to turn and the efficiency of the turn itself is not maximized. The pushrods allows you to adjust the angle of which the suspension is turning so that both tires are turning at the same angle or whatever angle you want them to be. The pushrods also balance the suspension of the car by "pushing" or "see sawing" each other back in forth keeping the balance of the car optimal. I'm not sure if that made any sense but I tried. Look...someone is going to come in and call me wrong anyways. :P

"The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Quote Originally Posted by ramberg View Post
    The pushrod connects the upright to the damper (spring) via a rocker. When the wheel goes over a bump, it pushes on the pushrod, which in turn pushes the rocker, which pushes on the damper, absorbing the shock of the bump. The last chassis used a pullrod suspension, which acted in the exact opposite manner of a pushrod. When the wheel goes over a bump, it pulls the pullrod up, which pulls on the rocker, which pushes on the damper.

Stick with Sabin 24's explanation, the other one seem like he confused the purpose of a pushrods with Ackerman steering.

Does this mean we might see a DW12 on rFactor soon?

Great explanation of pushrods and pull rods here, http://www.f1technical.net/articles/39
    You can be a critical fan without being a Critic... Or can you? Quit your b'tchn and enjoy the racing :D

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    Imagine you're driving a car and you turn you probably want the car to turn as smooth as possible and that means have both your steering tires turning at the same angles. Sometimes on our cars the turn angle between the two tires are not the same and that take more time to turn and the efficiency of the turn itself is not maximized. The pushrods allows you to...
    Wow. And, no. You may be thinking of "tie rods." Pushrods, in the context of this thread, have nothing to do with steering.

The pushrods also balance the suspension of the car by "pushing" or "see sawing" each other back in forth keeping the balance of the car optimal. I'm not sure if that made any sense but I tried. Look...someone is going to come in and call me wrong anyways.
    Creative, I suppose, but completely wrong.

The main reason pushrod suspension came into use is that it allows the coilover spring/shock units to be moved out of the airstream to reduce aerodynamic drag and provide cleaner, less turbulent airflow to side pod air intakes and the undertray. Other benefits include reduction of unsprung weight and improved handling by moving the weight of the coilover units towards the centerline of the car. Further, by selecting different pickup points on the rocker arm (which alters the ratio of suspension travel to spring/shock travel), you can quickly make changes in the damping and spring rates.
    Last edited by Spike; 03-25-2012 at 12:07 AM.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Thanks a million guys...

doitagain's adopted son aaron5572's Avatar
    SEC Country (Kansas City/Columbia, Missouri)
    Quote Originally Posted by andy5446 View Post
    Does this mean we might see a DW12 on rFactor soon?
    yeah they're already designing it, I saw it on another site, looked real good
    The Original Fan of Kimi "The Iceman" Raikkonen 2007 World Driving Champion: 20 Wins---77 Podiums---16 Pole Positions---39 Fastest Laps ---1 Gorilla Suit World Record 27 Consecutive Points Finishes

How did the weight end up exactly back to where it was on the IR07? Where did it end up heavy? That's substantially higher than what it was supposed to weigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Simpson View Post
    How did the weight end up exactly back to where it was on the IR07? Where did it end up heavy? That's substantially higher than what it was supposed to weigh.

It was a combination of a lot of things. A few components that I remember hearing about that were heavier than anticipated were the side intrusion panels, rear wheel guards, and the gear box. I'm sure there are other components which added to the overall weight, too. I guess one positive is that with the fuel cell mistake, they'll be carrying half a gallon less fuel, which saves them about 3 lbs with a full load.

Insider
    Look...someone is going to come in and call me wrong anyways. :P
    Well, you got that part right!

Not that I trust ESPN on ABC for reliability and accuracy, but the just showed a comparison Btwn the cars and had DW12 listed in at 1560#.