Thread: What's Danica's number?

What's Danica's number?

NO, not her cellphone number. And no, I don't mean it in an Anna Faris way either...

But, if the overnights were a 1.1 for St. Pete, down from a 1.2 last year, is the headline "INDYCAR INTEREST WANES" or is it actually "INDYCAR SURVIVES THE LOSS OF ITS BIGGEST STAR"?

If, say, 0.2 of that 1.2 is Danica fans who went with her to Nationwide (which is up 0.1-0.2 so far this year, I believe), then aren't we at least holding steady?

Just trying to convince myself that I don't need a new scrip for anti-depressants.

I truly believe "her number" will be zero when all is said and done this year. The TV ratings will prove what I have been saying for the past five years. People don't tune in to watch a pretty face. Even the casual fan knows when they are being spoon fed hype. The PR machine of hers did not translate into viewers. Ernest

This thread should be in Racing Biz.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Miller View Post
    I truly believe "her number" will be zero when all is said and done this year. The TV ratings will prove what I have been saying for the past five years. People don't tune in to watch a pretty face. Even the casual fan knows when they are being spoon fed hype. The PR machine of hers did not translate into viewers. Ernest

This thread should be in Racing Biz.

Pretty much almost there. For sure not the big deal some made of her leaving.
    Get your head out of your past!!!

I tend to think it has more to do with Tiger in Hunt, NCAA tourneyment in progress, and Nascar actually running then Danica running.

I pretty sure no one in this area watch it but me.
    You cannot wrangle chaos. You can only try to plan for it.

Issue? Here's a tissue. stubaru's Avatar

Danica I got your number
    Danica I want to make you mine
    Danica don't lose my number
    867-5309, 867-5309

Or something like that
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

I hope it was her absence that caused the drop, because at least it would be something to point to. If it's not that means the series is still not gaining any increase in fans. It is not OK that the ratings hold steady, those 1.1's are awful if the sport ever hopes to rise above the niche category some people seem to enjoy wallowing in. The numbers have got to get going up and not by 20% which would Zoom them up to 1.3, they need to get to 2.0 and then redouble the effort.

The impact on the non Danica series take a while for some people to get through their heads. There were literally dozens of publications. TV shows and media outlets who would feature her, even if just once per season. I know some fanatics think otherwise but what you will gradually see is that those outlets will not simply transfer their once a year interest to another Indycar driver. They aren't going to show up to do even that one Indycar story. They will do their Danica story, and it will be at a NASCAR race now, because people know who she is. They didn't do it to promote an Indycar driver and now they need to pick a new favorite. She would be on shows like Jimmy Kimmel and (used to be) Regis and Kelly. Do you think they are just going to move down the line to the next Indycar driver in line to have on their shows. Yes Hinch is a funny guy, wake up Hinch is unknown to everybody except Indycar fans. He doesn't draw in any viewers to those shows so there is no reason for them to book him.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

They've got Helio on Nascar Now tomorrow, that's a start..........I guess
    Preached safety and warned of death at Daytona this year and then drove like the Grim Reaper for three hours - Robin Miller talking about Tony Stewart

There was racing before Danica and Nascar will find that Dainca gets all the exposure not Nascar. From what she has shown she will be a mid pack Nationwide finisher and in the back in Cup. The attendence will still suck and the ratings will be up and down as her performance goes. A few public tantrums and the sparkle will be off the pony. Her Cole Whitt crap turned enough of the Nascar press against her temporarily.