Thread: Pirelli World Challenge and Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge

Pirelli World Challenge and Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge

Am I the only one here who finds these two series as very underrated? I mean both series feature a plethora of vehicles, rich variety, varying levels of manufacturer involvement, great drivers, awesome racing, but they both have the same issue.

They barely exist in the main stream.

Granted that can be both a good and bad thing, but it is a shame neither one get more recognition. I love the Blancpain Endurance Series in Europe and ADAC GT Masters in Germany, but it's great to see production-based series like this in America still.

Discuss! Both series deserve it!
    Video game lover, proud supporter of IndyCar, Major League Soccer, and the National Hockey League

FC Bayern Munich, Sporting Kansas City, Pittsburgh Penguins

Are you the only one here who realizes that there is a market for great GT racing? Are you the only one who finds it ridiculous that we can watch Blancpain and GT1 live online but not CTSCC (I believe PWC is streamed---definitely available later online last I checked.) Are you the only one who wonders why these series don't do as little more online promotion?

Funny, but if I got an email telling me to watch the races on line this weekend at XX hour on this website ... schedule permitting, I'd do it. Somehow, watching CTSCC two weeks later at some odd hour in a broadcast that is 40% commercials, with no T&S, just doesn't attract me as much.

The question is: what's in it for promoters? NASCAR can't do it without raising expectations for all its other series, and it definitely doesn't want to mess with any of its TV packages. It does promote CTSCC a little.

PWC? My take is, they gain very little from having online viewers---probably not enough to pay for the band width. TV is even tougher---though I have seen these races televised, TV schedules are so packed---how much time can the series hope to get? Highlight shows with questionable production values don't really cut it for race fans, anyway (ask ALMS.)

As for why fans in general aren't excited? That's the biggest mystery, and I have no clue. I get more excited by GT1 than CTSCC or PWC, and it isn't because the racing is better.

To answer your initial question: No, others also feel both series are vastly underrated. Sorry, I have been up watching racing all night and all day and can't think too clearly. Watching Superbikes now; after, I will watch GT1 again.

Maybe, because of your post, I will watch some PWC tonight. See, one person can make a difference.

PWC is on multiple-week (up to as much as about a month) delay on NBCSN. The NBCSN broadcasts are also available online after they air on TV:
    \
    http://www.world-challenge.com/event....php?year=2011

http://www.world-challengetv.com/
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Thanks, Hairpin. Will add that to my master schedule.

Blog Entries
    I think it's great stuff, but I'm a bit biased - my brother is Competition Director for the PWC.
    I ain't quiet, everybody else is too loud.

I think the reason why these series don't get more recognition is simple. Short races = no gravitas. All of the cars should be eligible to run the 25 Hours, and maybe throw in a few other 5-10 hour races. There is plenty of action but to the average race fan, they all look like they're out for a laugh. There is too much parity for any real storylines, it's not big enough for any storylines to really take off.
    "It takes a special level of incompetance to make a schedule this terrible. America is possibly the greatest country in the world overall for tracks. To make a bad schedule in America takes effort. A special kind of effort. A kind of effort that only IndyCar could come up with."

Insider
    For my money nothing beats the VLN series. 13 races all on the Nürburgring. 120 cars.
    Here we are at the first race of the year a few weeks ago.

Not by me.

Quote Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
    I think the reason why these series don't get more recognition is simple. Short races = no gravitas.
    Two-and-a-half-hour races are short? That's what ConTi runs usually. Sure, it's not endurance endurance, but it's not 45m either.

Ah, Grand-Am will be putting highlights (same day as the broadcast) and the races (three days after the broadcast) up on their website now. Obviously not fully-produced and edited highlight shows, but it gives someone a quick taste of what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    I believe PWC is streamed---definitely available later online last I checked.) Are you the only one who wonders why these series don't do as little more online promotion?
    The week before each race, they announce whether the races are broadcasted live. I watched St Pete this year, and others were shown too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    As for why fans in general aren't excited? That's the biggest mystery, and I have no clue. I get more excited by GT1 than CTSCC or PWC, and it isn't because the racing is better.
    I watch Argentine racing. I prefer the top level categories, even if lower series have more exciting races. If the drivers aren't top level, I get bored.

The answer is quite simple: people prefer to watch the stars racing each other. DTM, V8, ALMS have stars (sort of). The Conti Challenge and SCCA World Challenge don't.

Ah, Speed2 has been expanded to DirecTV and Verizon FiOS TV customers:
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ion-customers/

So that's live ConTi on the internets for some more people.
    (Also WRC highlights on Speed2).