Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autographs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseczar View Post
    Lee Wallard has a really cool signature.
    He actually had 2 different versions. One for kids and one for adults.
    "I think of Indianapolis every day of the year, every
    hour of the day, and when I sleep, too. Everything I
    ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of
    the Indianapolis Motor Speedway."
    - Eddie Sachs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ndcrs View Post
    true that no one has a chevy - well a gaston chevy?
    No one to my knowledge has ever produced an authentic Gaston Chevrolet.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post
    I respectfully disagree on your viewpoint on autograph collectors.
    See disclaimer - added to my original post, thanks!

another autograph discussion
    http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...ght=autographs
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carl s View Post
    Disclaimer: I realize there are many autograph collectors who value our motorsports heritage, those I respect.
    In fact let's hear from them- I'll keep an open mind.

I find that my passion for autograph collecting has completely enhanced my enjoyment of IndyCar racing.

By trying to collect signatures of EVERY 500 driver I have learned a lot about drivers I never saw race.

Such as this week's addition to my collection....Doc Shattuc.

Insider
    Do you have a website where we can view your collection?

I find that my passion for autograph collecting has completely enhanced my enjoyment of IndyCar racing.

By trying to collect signatures of EVERY 500 driver I have learned a lot about drivers I never saw race.

Such as this week's addition to my collection....Doc Shattuc.

Blog Entries
    Do you have a website where we can view your collection?
    Actually no. I am a much more private person than my friend Jim. But I write a lot of articles on Indy 500 autographs. Including one coming out this week.

Im not one to go nuts over autographs, I will sometimes leaf thru a book or magazine in my collection and see an autogrpah that I dont even remember getting.

I did get probably 15-20 Indy veterans to sign my Indy 500 100th Anniversary book last year and hope to get a few more to sign it this year.

The big name drivers sign so many autographs every week at every track its not like theres a shortage of them. Im not even sure how many Dale Earnhardt autographs I have. More than one less than 10 is a safe guess I suppose.

My dad ran into Mark Donahue on an airplane once and got an autograph for me and I think its cool to own a Jan Opperman autograph

Im curious what autographs of the 700+ Indy 500 comptetitors are the tougherst ones to find

Ned Jarrett was a true gent when he signed a book for me many years ago. Treated me like I was an old friend he wasnt expecting to run into

But I dont see the attraction of standing in a 100 yard long line for an hour or two to have a driver scribble on a hero card and barely even look at me as I walk by and mumble thank you to him

Edit: I pulled my IMS 100th Anniversary book out since it had been a while. I had forgotten that Ray Harrouns son Richard signed it last year too. I thought it was pretty cool that the old man standing there slowly signing my book last May had grown up with the man who won the first 500
    Last edited by KevMcNJ; 05-08-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    God loves Jim Nabors

Only a select few fans would understand the excitement when I found my Noberto Fontana Champcar Autographed hero card

My favorite autograph isn't even mine. It's my son's. Fernando Alonso, at the 2006 United States Grand Prix at the IMS. Alonso signed a photo my son got and later had the photo put on his website so my son and his mother were on Fred's website for a couple of years (I do believe they are off now). My son evidently got around too as he also got Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton as well.

Three World Champions. Not bad!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post

Im curious what autographs of the 700+ Indy 500 comptetitors are the toughest ones to find

Easily the toughest driver autographs come from the 1911-1929 era, especially non-winners.

The obscure early entrants are extremely tough.

If you narrow it down to the past 50 years, the most "valuable" in terms of money is easily Jim Clark.

But the "toughest" to find are Jim Hickman and Dave MacDonald.

Jim Hickman is the most rare autograph of the last 50 years, and the most rare "Rookie Of The Year" by far.

In 30 years of collecting, I've seen a total of 3 Hickman autographs.

Jim Nise has a pretty good selection of autographs on The Vintage Racer website:

http://www.thevintageracer.com/jimni...autograph1.htm

Some neat photos on that website, too, from Mr. Nise.

Easily the toughest driver autographs come from the 1911-1929 era, especially non-winners.

The obscure early entrants are extremely tough.

If you narrow it down to the past 50 years, the most "valuable" in terms of money is easily Jim Clark.

But the "toughest" to find are Jim Hickman and Dave MacDonald.

Jim Hickman is the most rare autograph of the last 50 years, and the most rare "Rookie Of The Year" by far.

In 30 years of collecting, I've seen a total of 3 Hickman autographs.
    When you say autograph are you meaning a photo. program or scrap of paper signed by that person? I guess what Im asking is what if you found a legal document like a deed to a house or a car rental agreement that they signed.

Is that considered their autograph?

Or is that sort of cheating?

So why are Hickman and Macdonald are so difficult to find?

Insider
    I was thinking the same thing.
    And also, is a 'photocopy' of someone's signature or autograph from another source considered OK to include in your collection?
    Thanks

When you say autograph are you meaning a photo. program or scrap of paper signed by that person? I guess what Im asking is what if you found a legal document like a deed to a house or a car rental agreement that they signed.

Insider

Most likely because both were relatively unknown and they were not around long enough for regular fans to get to know them.
    "There is no substitute for victory." - General Douglas MacArthur

"I love long walks; especially when taken by those who annoy me."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/impact

Thanks Littleman. I have more autographs, but no pictures to go with the collection.

I also have the Ben Crenshaw book on the PGA tour from the late 80's early 90's with about 100 Pro golfer autographs, starting with Sam Snead. A caddy buddy gave it to me, came complete with coffee stain thanks to Bobby Nichols!

I have never sold an autograph, have given some duplicates away. Times get tough that might change.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
    >

Blog Entries

Yes, a legal document or a check DOES count as an autograph.

As far as Hickman and MacDonald, it's just a case of supply and demand.

MacDonald was only at IMS for one race, he qualified for the race, and then died just a few days later, so there's simply not many out there.

Hickman was VERY unknown, and wasn't even pictured in the 1982 program. I've seen several 1982 programs signed by all the drivers pictured in the program , but no Hickman.

Hickman only ran a couple more CART events after winning the rookie of the year.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking the same thing.
    And also, is a 'photocopy' of someone's signature or autograph from another source considered OK to include in your collection?
    Thanks
    No, NO photocopies are acceptable as an autograph.

But a legal document, such as an entry blank, or even a signed letter or check is fine.

No photocopies are ever acceptable as counting toward my collection. They have to be genuine, verified signatures.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Niseguy View Post
    Thanks Littleman. I have more autographs, but no pictures to go with the collection.

I also have the Ben Crenshaw book on the PGA tour from the late 80's early 90's with about 100 Pro golfer autographs, starting with Sam Snead. A caddy buddy gave it to me, came complete with coffee stain thanks to Bobby Nichols!

I have never sold an autograph, have given some duplicates away. Times get tough that might change.

Hello my friend, if you ever decide to sell, please let me know, I'd be honored to add your stuff to my collection.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post
    Most likely because both were relatively unknown and they were not around long enough for regular fans to get to know them.
    Exactly.

I do a few "talks" on autographs every year, and I always ask people, who do you think is a more "valuable" autograph, A.J. Foyt or Jim Hickman.

Blog Entries

To answer your earlier question, a signed photo is fine, a program page, a scrap of paper, a "cut" signature, legal document, any of them are acceptable as part of my collection as long as I've authenticated it.

"You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

If anyone wants Tony Brooks's autograph they can purchase it at http://www.klemcoll.com/ListBooks.aspx attached to a limited edition of his autobiography.

I know this is an Indy-centric thread so I should point out that he was a grand prix driver in the fifties and sixties and considered one of the best never to win a World Championship
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

To answer your earlier question, a signed photo is fine, a program page, a scrap of paper, a "cut" signature, legal document, any of them are acceptable as part of my collection as long as I've authenticated it.
    this has been a very interesting topic

Great thread!

I'm not an autograph person but I have collected a lot of autographs that were given me or that I just obtained by chance. I've never stood in an autograph line.
    My prize autograph is a 1978 copy of the Hockey News, with Indianapolis Racer Wayne Gretzky on the cover. I had him autograph the cover when he was a 17 year old high school student at Broad Ripple High School in Indianapolis. The picture was before he was "traded"
    to Edmonton, and the autograph was after the "trade."
    I don't care much for Nelson Skalbania!
    Have a very blessed day!

Blog Entries
    I've got a fairly decent autograph collection I've obtained in person for the most part and to me I enjoy it because it's a memento from getting to meet someone. This is one of my rare exceptions I just had framed

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
    Tony Brooks..........considered one of the best never to win a World Championship
    In the sense that he was better than many of the drivers who did win the world championship, you've inadvertantly sold him short IMO!

Insider
    Lee Wallard.
    He actually had 2 different versions. One for kids and one for adults.
    Here's the one for kids
    from Carole Nyquist's Autograph Book collected as a child when she went to the races with her Dad:
    (see bottom of page 4)
    http://www.thevintageracer.com/nyqui...utograph01.htm

Lee Wallard.

Here's the one for kids
    from Carole Nyquist's Autograph Book collected as a child when she went to the races with her Dad:
    (see bottom of page 4)
    http://www.thevintageracer.com/nyqui...utograph01.htm
    That Johnny Mantz signed like an artist.

I have the personalized autograph of a German formula car driver I met on a ranch in North Texas...on this 500 print run poster:

http://www.studio88.co.uk/acatalog/info_RTA_75.html

On September 24, 2000, Formula One Grand Prix racing returned to the United States after a nine year absence. A record crowd of 220,000 flag waving enthusiasts from around the world gathered in Indiana to witness the historic event on a newly constructed road course at the venerable Indianapolis Motor Speedway. On the seventh lap, Michael Schumacher captured the lead with a daring outside pass of David Coulthard's McLaren Mercedes. The pair touched briefly as they entered the damp left hander at the end of Indy's famous front straight, but both continued. In weather conditions reminiscent of previous USGP's at Watkins Glen, Schumacher survived a late race spin to lead team-mate Rubens Barrichello to a dramatic 1-2 victory for Scuderia Ferrari.

LIMITED EDITION OF 500 PRINTS
    Overall print size, including border - 58cm x 49cm. (23"x 19.5")

Each print is individually signed and numbered by the artist.
    Nice fella...contrary to some reports.

I have a singed 8 x 10 qualifying shot of Keith Andrews I'll need to post it later when I find it heard its also rare. Actually talked to Hickman at Milwaukee the day he was killed, he was sitting on golf cart every relaxed. Have some action photos from that day of him. Was walking to my car from the turn after shooting, when I looked up and saw him lose it from a distance and hit the wall. Remember he also crashed in June practice at the event not making the field.