Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bobby Knight broke?

I don't see any reason to dig deeply into the psychology behind it... it's not like BK is the first player or coach to auction off memorabilia.

Probably not the first participant in earning those rings/medals that has sold them.

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Of coursen BK thinks that, much easier than saying what is my responsiblity in my eventual fate at IU. You would have to be reflective and admit that at times, my behavior to those above me lent itself to my termination. No matter who we are, as long as we do not sign our paychecks, we all answer to someone, Knight could not accept that.

That might be a reasonable way to look at it but that's not the way Coach Knight sees it. Loyalty is very high on Coach's list of importance. Loyalty applies through thick & thin. When Coach came under attack IU was not loyal. Nothing else matters.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Just as a footnote, unless he needs the money, what a dishonorable thing to do to those players that played and won those championsips at IU in the Knight era , forget what he is saying to IU, what is he saying to his former players ? I hope those same players come to IU and cheer for this coach and this crop of young men.... just let BK have his sale, but I hope the players in the Knight era come back home.

Dishonorable? C'mon, beej.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    That might be a reasonable way to look at it but that's not the way Coach Knight sees it. Loyalty is very high on Coach's list of importance. Loyalty applies through thick & thin. When Coach came under attack IU was not loyal. Nothing else matters.
    A very military way of looking at it. RMK's first coaching job was with Army. Coincidence?

I think it was a Sports Illustrated article back in the early 90's that asked him how kids had changed since he started coaching. They hadn't changed at all, he responded. It was the parents that had changed. And not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparsRule View Post
    I don't see any reason to dig deeply into the psychology behind it... it's not like BK is the first player or coach to auction off memorabilia.

Probably not the first participant in earning those rings/medals that has sold them.
    We all have at least on box of crap that we never look at the contents of. We just move it from one location to the next. The only difference is BK's box of crap contains stuff the someone will pay a decent amount of coin for.

(OK, I edited this because the tone of the original was needlessly antagonistic)
    Last edited by stnkypete; 10-16-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Are you kidding me? I would pay through the nose for those items. Problem is that my nose isn't big enough.

Well, that was a crappy analogy but I think you get my point.

Quote Originally Posted by skypigeon View Post
    A very military way of looking at it. RMK's first coaching job was with Army. Coincidence?

I think it was a Sports Illustrated article back in the early 90's that asked him how kids had changed since he started coaching. They hadn't changed at all, he responded. It was the parents that had changed. And not in a good way.

Exactly.

h
    Have a very blessed day!

Are you kidding me? I would pay through the nose for those items. Problem is that my nose isn't big enough.

Well, that was a crappy analogy but I think you get my point.
    But it would be crappier if you paid out the ass.

Dishonorable? C'mon, beej.
    Okay, how about it would seem to dishonor the accomplishments of those players who were on the teams that won those rings?

Knight is a highly sought out speaker, he could easily make money for his grands without having to sell off his memorabillia which he AND his players won. What does that say to his players that the rings only mean what he can get for cash.

He is not selling an individual achievement
    "My favorite time of the day at the Speedway during the month of May was just after dusk, after the track had closed down for day, I used to go out and sit on the pit wall and just listen and think"~ Dick Ralstin

He's selling an attachment to an institution.
    "Ride the Barrel and get pitted... So Pitted."

Hmmmmmmm,

What would the penalty be if this particular Ohio State grad got a couple of sweet tats with some of the money made from his bling?

#suckitncaa

... --- ...
    h
    ...---...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Capua View Post
    Only thing I learned watching that show was to never take anything to a pawn shop.
    Anybody that's ever had to unload a guitar or amp knows that.
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

In the cornfields 37.4 miles west of 16th and Georgetown.
    I could really care less what he does anymore. He acts like a child when it comes to his past.

Okay, how about it would seem to dishonor the accomplishments of those players who were on the teams that won those rings?

Knight is a highly sought out speaker, he could easily make money for his grands without having to sell off his memorabillia which he AND his players won. What does that say to his players that the rings only mean what he can get for cash.

Such things are sold all the time and i have NEVER seen such accusations. I'm guessing you have issues with Coach Knight and that you aren't going to give him the benefit of the doubt regardless.

Such things are sold all the time and i have NEVER seen such accusations. I'm guessing you have issues with Coach Knight and that you aren't going to give him the benefit of the doubt regardless.
    You would be correct Sir, I find it very difficult to respect someone who demanded discipline from everyone but himself..

The selling of his rings brings me to several conclusions

1. they might lose some of their value if Crean and this crop of Hoosiers can once again bring a championship back to IU, New era, Knight becomes less relevant to anything IUcentric

2. He might really be honest about his selling only to help his grandkids

3, He really wants to stick it to IU

Like the song says, two out of three ain't bad..

I kind of thought that had to be the prism at which you were seeing this through because its just really not that big of a deal.

And posessions like those rings and the medal just aren't all that important in the grand scheme of things. What matters is health, family and the memories.

Blog Entries
    Jim Litke (himself no angel) gets a bit nasty about it.

http://www.indystar.com/viewart/2012...lis%20Sports|s

I'm pretty sure the chair is the focal point of somebody's memorabilia collection. I think that was snatched up pretty quickly... Heck I still have the t-shirt.

Did he already sell his OSU rings or are they just not bothering to list them in the stories as it takes some of the bite out of it? I figured with Hondo being in on this they were both selling their Ohio St. rings.
    Last edited by Grover; 10-17-2012 at 04:37 PM.

I kind of thought that had to be the prism at which you were seeing this through because its just really not that big of a deal.

And posessions like those rings and the medal just aren't all that important in the grand scheme of things. What matters is health, family and the memories.
    PS, he is also signed to call a few Kentucky games, through my " prism" I find that decision, given his total disdain for all things Kentucky curious..

Now back to your regualr programming

Didn't Neil Armstrong do this same thing once?
    Wanker!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    I see where Ozzie Smith is selling some of his Gold Gloves and World Series rings, of course like Smith himself, he presented the decision in a classy way.

"My family and I have decided together which of my pieces to keep and which to share," Smith said in a statement. "I will forever cherish every experience associated with earning these awards. ... I hope those who are passionate about collecting and preserving such items will gain a similar measure of joy through their ownership."

My family and I have decided together which of my pieces to keep and which to share," Smith said in a statement. "I will forever cherish every experience associated with earning these awards. ... I hope those who are passionate about collecting and preserving such items will gain a similar measure of joy through their ownership."
    Translation: I realized I had too much crap collecting dust around my house so I am having a garage sale. Only as a successful former athlete, my junk is more valuable and desirable than your junk.

PS, he is also signed to call a few Kentucky games, through my " prism" I find that decision, given his total disdain for all things Kentucky curious..

Now back to your regualr programming
    Honestly, I'm not sure what calling KY games has to do with the topic. But ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlor View Post
    Dr. J did the same recently.

I see where Ozzie Smith is selling some of his Gold Gloves and World Series rings, of course like Smith himself, he presented the decision in a classy way.

Did you expect Coach Knight to suddenly start pandering to the media simply because he is now a part of it?

I must be a sap I still have my college Most Improved Player award for Tennis... and it's older than any of Knight's rings he earned at Indiana.

Honestly, I'm not sure what calling KY games has to do with the topic. But ok.
    Maybe his agreeing to call Kentucky games indicates he's desperate for cash.