Thread: Spencer Massey fired by DSR

Spencer Massey fired by DSR

It appears Spencer Massey was overheard making some offensive (and racially tinged) comments during the season ending awards banquet...Don Schumacher wasted no time in terminating Massey from his top fuel ride.

Team-owner Don Schumacher announced Massey’s termination in a terse release emailed to media at 6 p.m. (CST) from the team’s headquarters in Brownsburg, Ind. The release stated that Massey “is no longer part of Don Schumacher Racing effective immediately.”

http://www.racintoday.com/
    Comments on nitromater.com:

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/31149...-gone-dsr.html

Sounds like Massey wasn't as skilled with alcohol induced comments as Brad Keselowski...

Sure would like to know what Spencer supposedly said/did.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!!!". :D

Word is he called Antron the "N" word. Didn't set very good with DonS.

DANG!! Shoulda just shot himself. Mighta got some sympathy, if he did.

Pretty stupid IMHO. I was really glad to see Antron get the title.

That sounds like a career-killer to me. Better be looking for another form of racing to compete in,because I don't think that the NHRA would want him back!

There's stupid, and then there's what he did. I can't imagine what he was thinking, apparently he wasn't. I think he's just lost the best car he'll ever drive.

Ya can't fix stupid.

Well whaddya know...

Top Fueler Massey Will Return To DSR For 2013

Don Schumacher announced today that Spencer Massey will rejoin Don Schumacher Racing for the 2013 NHRA Top Fuel season.

In addition to reigning world champion Antron Brown and the Matco Tools Top Fuel team and Tony Schumacher and the U.S. Army team, which finished seven points behind Brown last season, the third team – Massey’s – will be led by crew chiefs Todd Okuhara and Phil Shuler when the season begins Feb. 14-17 with the NHRA Winternationals at Pomona, Calif.

Massey’s dragster, which finished the past season ranked third in points with four event titles, will carry the banner of Battery Extender Powered by Schumacher.

The status of DSR’s third-ranked team from last year was left in limbo for 2013 when longtime NHRA and DSR sponsor FRAM/Prestone opted last summer to not continue motorsports sponsorships upon the conclusion of the 2012 season.

Also, reports surrounding an incident involving Massey at the NHRA’s post season banquet, were believed to have contributed to the dismissal of Massey.
    http://www.racintoday.com/archives/39783

I suspect a fair amount of groveling was involved by Massey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jag-lover View Post
    I suspect a fair amount of groveling was involved by Massey.
    Or legal action, if the rumor I read was true. Seeing how the car will be sponsored by Schumacher Electric (i.o.w. out of Don Schumacher's pocket) I would give those rumors some credence.
    “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Insider
    The latest I've read is that Todd Okuhara has ben given a promotion in the DSR world. Does that mean he won't be the crew chief on Spencer's car?

My quote above sez:

the third team – Massey’s – will be led by crew chiefs Todd Okuhara and Phil Shuler when the season begins Feb. 14-17 with the NHRA Winternationals at Pomona, Calif.
    Further down in the article:

Also this week, DSR announced that veteran crew chief Dickie Venables has been hired as crew chief for 2011 NHRA Funny Car world champion Matt Hagan and the Mopar/Rocky Boots Dodge Charger R/T team. Okuhara will assist Venables as he transitions to the team.
    So it sounds like Okuhara will be chiefing Massey's car...

Insider
    My bad, I should have linked this from Competition Plus:

dsrs-okuhara-gets-a-promotion

The fans should be the absolute last people considered on any decision that could effect a participant. Doc Austin

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."