Thread: Forsythe Racing 1982

Forsythe Racing 1982

Hi guys,

A question came up on wikipedia and I'm wondering if any of you have a solid answer to it.

The article for Forsythe Racing says it started in 1983. However, Hector Rebaque won at Road America in 1982 in a car entered as Forsythe Racing and Danny Sullivan also ran some races in a car entered as "Forsythe-Brown" and Al Unser Jr. made his CART debut that year at Riverside in a car entered as "Forsythe Racing" with the same # as the one that Sullivan drove. The wikipedia article for Danny Sullivan lists his 1982 entries as being fielded by Forsythe-Newman (with the Newman linking to Paul Newman).

So here are my questions:
    1. Did Forsythe have a CART IndyCar team in 1982 or was he just a sponsor?
    2. If he didn't have a team, who actually fielded these cars?
    3. Was Paul Newman actually involved in Sullivan's entries?
    4. Who was "Brown"? (this one might be tougher)

Thanks!

i believe that Brown was a family friend of the Sullivans. He was Dannys benifactor who was the money behind his early racing. His money came from the Brown Williams Tobacco money out of Louisville.

Jack Daniels heir Garvin Brown met Sullivan at a racing school and then sponsored and ran Danny in CanAm, Atlantic, and the F1 Tyrell. Brown made Danny Sullivan.

...'drdisque, 'Glad you asked.

So here are my questions:
    1. Did Forsythe have a CART IndyCar team in 1982 or was he just a sponsor?
    ----Forsythe was the car owner in 1982 for drivers, Hector Rebaque, Danny Sullivan and Al Unser, Jr.
    ----Forsythe also sponsored Lee Brayton/Scott Brayton's team in 1981.

2. If he didn't have a team, who actually fielded these cars?
    ----He did actually field the cars and naturally, had "Carta Blanca" the Mexican beer sponsor for Rebaque and "Forsythe-Brown" for Sullivan and "Forsythe" for Unser, Jr's one ride at Riverside.

3. Was Paul Newman actually involved in Sullivan's entries?
    ----No. Danny Sullivan drove Can-Am cars for Paul Newman.

4. Who was "Brown"? (this one might be tougher)
    ----The best question asked. Garvin Brown was the Sullivan family friend. He was the "Jack Daniels" whiskey guy!

note: 4. As noted previously by Paddy and racer47201
    Last edited by LittleFauss; 01-30-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: "as previously mentioned"

Thanks, you guys are awesome.

I find the early 80's to be a particularly interesting time that doesn't get talked about or written about much.

Quote Originally Posted by drdisque View Post
    Thanks, you guys are awesome.

I find the early 80's to be a particularly interesting time that doesn't get talked about or written about much.
    Nostalgia is for when you were 15 and it was all new and exciting. So that period is too recent for the white haired brigade; and too early for the younger generation of fans. Those who were 15 then are busy raising families, earning enough top pay the mortgage, etc and don't have the time to get interested. give it another 10-15 years and that'll change.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.