Thread: Fattest Indy 500 Driver

Fattest Indy 500 Driver

This is a silly question that turned up in a conversation earlier today: who is the heaviest, whether because of muscle or fat, driver to race in the Indy 500? Or any of the series by extension?

I would have to guess Tyce Carlson?

I think they were both in better shape when they ran the 500 than they are now, but both Tony Stewart and Steve Kinser are pretty heavy guys by race driving standards. And AJ Foyt was a fairly hefty guy in the later stages of his career.
    GO DANICA!!!

It is indeed a silly question.

No one is forcing you to participate in this particular thread.

Jose Froilan Gonzalez (Formula 1 winner from the early '50s) was a pretty large dude. In fact I remember reading a funny quote of his from the 1990s or 2000s that went something like "In my day the tyres were skinny and the drivers were fat!". . Not Indy I know; but I've always loved that quote and wanted to share it.

Troy ruttman

Quote Originally Posted by rrrr View Post
    It is indeed a silly question.
    Yep!
    Have a very blessed day!

Quote Originally Posted by Round Robin View Post
    And AJ Foyt was a fairly hefty guy in the later stages of his career.
    I heard a rumor that the 1990-91 era Lola tub was made a little wider in the cockpit because of A.J.

Stan Wattles had the fattest sounding name.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorindy View Post
    I heard a rumor that the 1990-91 era Lola tub was made a little wider in the cockpit because of A.J.
    I didn't know if that was legend or fact!

I have always wondered what is the largest shoulder size that could fit in a cockpit - I am pretty broad around the shoulders, but I could barely, barely squeeze in a show car.

RandyL14
    I thought it was an early 80's March that March built especially for A.J. that was 3 or 4 inches wider at the top of the cockpit so A.J. could get his shoulders in.

Myron Fohr was quite podgy.

Granatelli?Gaston Chevrolet?
    "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
    James Hurtubise, June, 1964

pops
    It's too bad so many see AJ as the fat old guy.

So heights and weights aren't officially recorded anywhere, anytime?
    "The series may be hesitant to say it, but the day is here for everybody that loves IndyCar racing to link arms and help each other out. Anybody who doesn’t want to do that needs to find something else to do with their time.”

-- Eddie Gossage, President, Texas Motor Speedway, ICONIC Advisory Committee & TrackForum member

Thank God for fat people. And cigarette smokers too. They're about the only minority groups left that the rest of "us" can feel superior to and openly deride. Fortunately I'm neither so I can join in the fun!

Ray Keech looked pretty corpulent in most of the photos I've seen of him, but he might have just had a cherubic face.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by fenderslash View Post
    Jose Froilan Gonzalez (Formula 1 winner from the early '50s) was a pretty large dude. In fact I remember reading a funny quote of his from the 1990s or 2000s that went something like "In my day the tyres were skinny and the drivers were fat!". . Not Indy I know; but I've always loved that quote and wanted to share it.
    That was a PS from Road & Track back in the '80s, IIRC...The fashion of the day in Gonzales' time period for a gentleman sportsman really didn't do a lot of men any favors; a polo shirt always tucked in over rather high-waisted chinos was the norm. If you were rail-thin, you could pull it off(kinda), but if you had the slightest hint of a "spare tire", the look took no prisoners.

Fangio and Ascari both looked rather pudgy, it may have been exacerbated by "the look", but neither were Sebastian Vettel-thin.

Thank God for Dockers and Izod today...

Dan

I also have to think of photos of drivers from the 50's... those guys have some huge shoulders. I doubt some of them can fit into today's cars.

I also never understood how Formula One drivers could do all the fitness they do and still stay very small.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Byrd View Post
    I also never understood how Formula One drivers could do all the fitness they do and still stay very small.
    It's the kind fitness training. The kind that makes marathoners and ironman triathletes look like they do.

Floyd Roberts was reportedly a pretty big guy.

Troy Ruttman was listed at 6' 4", 220lbs. Jimmy Bryan: 6' 2", 215lbs. Big, but not out of shape by any means for those two.

I've seen a photo of drivers in line, in various stages of undress, for their physical in 1941. Mauri Rose was quite skinny, but a lot of the guys were rather pudgy.
    Happiness is Friday morning, Road America, first session, rolling down pit lane, course is clear, we are green!

Writing from a viewpoint of total ignorance, I would expect drivers from an earlier era (say prewar or maybe up to 1960) to need to be heavier - evil handling cars that needed to be wrestled round corners, dirt tracks, bumpy tracks, no power steering, doing their own mechanical work, learning their trade in stock cars, etc. would all develop a muscular build

Can anybody put up pictures of their nominees?
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

I agree, too silly, too silly..............

By the way, anyone mention Jerry Grant?
    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Belanger99 View Post

I agree, too silly, too silly..............

By the way, anyone mention Jerry Grant?

Either the late Jerry Grant or John Mahler.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorindy View Post
    That was actually 1986 and it was a March chassis, there was a big uproar becuase March was building AJ's team a super secret car. To be fair to AJ, not alot of guys fit comfortably into the 86c.