Thread: Newman wants a 3 year sponsor deal or he leaves SHR

Newman wants a 3 year sponsor deal or he leaves SHR

I am hearing that Newman has told SHR to have a 3 year major sponsor deal in place for next season or he is gone.
    quote:
    "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Buh-bye. I'm pretty sure someone else will be glad to take his place, if true.
    Never argue with an idiot.They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

I guess you are talking Ryan Newman but who is SHR?

Honestly, it'd be better if Newman left. Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR, for RS2) would be better off staying at three cars with Kevin Harvick coming in. If they went to a fourth, the guy getting the worst of it would be Newman (Stewart isn't going to screw himself up, Harvick's a big deal, and it's advantageous to make sure Patrick has great equipment) anyway.

Losing Newman won't be any loss, Harvick is comin' over next year with the Budweiser sponsorship anyway. See ya Ryan.

Considering the years that he has been in Cup racing, Newman already has a boatload of money.

I am not sure what fans really like the guy...that's maybe why finding a sponsor for him is difficult.

Move on Ryan...don't let the door...
    Ignorant men marvel at extraordinary things. Intelligent men admire simple things.

Kind of surprised to hear that from Newman as it should be apparent that its him who is the one sponsors either want or they dont and making this demand in these tough times is just stupid in my opinion. Have saw rumors he is unhappy with them hiring Danica etc for whatever reason as in the SHR team site and forum, most hate Danica and they all love Newman and most have said he would be gone after this yr. or they hoped he would leave SHR--jealousy is a silly but a real thing I guess. The problem is Newman doesnt have any aces to play in this matter unless he does really well this yr with wins or in the Chase. On top of that--another funny thing--The Newman fans on their site has trashed his team and CC (now Danicas) for yrs saying they were lousy & put all the blame on them for his lackluster results. They all wanted him to have a new CC & team and now he does, and he still demands this, but his fans are behind him so all good whatever happens. If a Champion like his boss T Stewart is lacking sponsors as well as a popular driver like Jr. and others, Newman making a demand like this tells us he wants to leave--good luck with that and getting sponsors with another team? I would think almost everyone in Nascar given the current climate of hard times is laughing seeing this demand from him--Oh well.

"Considering the years that he has been in Cup racing, Newman already has a boatload of money."

Since you brought that up funny thing, it was recently reported & mentioned on the SHR forum that Newmans net worth was said to be less then a million dollars so he either spends alot of his dollars or has it hidden where its not being counted in these reports or the reports are simply not accurate--for what its worth?.

And I want a 427 Cobra.
    "The Speedway has always been a part of Indiana, as the Derby is part of Kentucky. The 500 Mile Race should continue. I'd just like to be sure of sufficient income so we could make a few improvements each year." -- Tony Hulman.

Kind of surprising. As it's noted in another thread, Dale Jr. is without a sponsor for a lot of races this year. And Newman wants to make demands? Not in the best climate for that.

I'm not convinced it went down quite like some of you are making out...........

However, I think he may be looking elsewhere-SHR has not had a full time sponsor in place for that car since he got there and he may have an opportunity to return to the Captain, who is said to be interested in bringing him back
    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

He no doubt doesn't want to sign a one year deal or anything that would start with ten sponsored races and a hope/promise that it might develop into a full season. I'm sure he mostly wants the stability of a three year deal. Newman has been around long enough to know if you take a part time deal it could shut out some full time deals and you risk falling out of the rotation to be considered for other rides. Better to get a full time ride even with a lesser team and stay in the loop.

Also there will be at least one opening at RCR with Harvick leaving, Burton having done nothing of late and Menard with his sponsor to bring if he wants.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

BYE Ryan.

Tony is going to be getting a far better driver than Ryan anyways (Harvick).
    RS's CURRENT TOP 5 DRIVERS: #1 Scott Dixon, #2 Ryan Hunter Reay, #3 Will Power, #4 Simon Pagenaud, #5 Sebastien Bourdais
    T5 EQUAL CARS:#1 Scott Dixon, #2 Sebastien Bourdais, #3 Simon Pagenaud, #4 Ryan Hunter Reay, #5 Will Power

I like Newman and think he's a good driver but that kind of demand in this market is crazy especially for a guy that hasn't seemed to be a sponsor magnet. Penske had conversations about bringing him on last year in addition to QuickenLoans but they have also said if they go to three teams they prefer to give Sam Hornish the opportunity. The only comparable ride I could see being available would be RCR potentially replacing Burton in the Cateprillar car... I would think Newman with his engineering background could be a good fit with CAT but RCR may try and sell CAT on Austin Dillon if they decide to move on from Burton (but I think CAT really likes Burton).

I know reading between the lines going into this year I really don't expect him back unless he has a big year on the track because there have been comments that seemed to indicate Matt Borland as Crew Chief is really only a one year thing.

Quote Originally Posted by funblvble View Post
    I like Newman and think he's a good driver but that kind of demand in this market is crazy especially for a guy that hasn't seemed to be a sponsor magnet. Penske had conversations about bringing him on last year in addition to QuickenLoans but they have also said if they go to three teams they prefer to give Sam Hornish the opportunity. The only comparable ride I could see being available would be RCR potentially replacing Burton in the Cateprillar car... I would think Newman with his engineering background could be a good fit with CAT but RCR may try and sell CAT on Austin Dillon if they decide to move on from Burton (but I think CAT really likes Burton).

I know reading between the lines going into this year I really don't expect him back unless he has a big year on the track because there have been comments that seemed to indicate Matt Borland as Crew Chief is really only a one year thing.
    It appears as if Harvick will be leaving RCR to go to Stewart-Haas in 2014. That would likely be Austin's ride (#29) in 2014. I could see Newman in the #31. I never thought much of Newman at all, but I think he's a definite upgrade from Jeff Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Racing Steward View Post
    It appears as if Harvick will be leaving RCR to go to Stewart-Haas in 2014. That would likely be Austin's ride (#29) in 2014. I could see Newman in the #31. I never thought much of Newman at all, but I think he's a definite upgrade from Jeff Burton.
    I could see Newman back at Penske or at RCR, by the way Austin Dillon will be driving the 3 in cup, not 29 IMO