Thread: Tony Matthews Cutaway: Penske PC9

Tony Matthews Cutaway: Penske PC9

Here's another Penske cutaway by Tony Matthews, the PC9 Cosworth. This one is in the Essex Petroleum livery of David Thieme (remember him?) as driven in 1980 by Mario Andretti. The PC9 was a striking car...

LINK: Tony Matthews Cutaway: Penske PC9 | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Serious Gearhead? Read ---> Mac's Motor City Garage.com

40 miles north of the greatest track that has the Greatest Spectacle In Racing.
    Not only was the PC9 itself striking, but this was IMO the most attractive car to ever race at IMS.
    "You just don't know what Indy Means", Al Unser Jr.

"That's why to me it does feel more precious when an American wins it...", Michael Andretti

I liked those early ground effects cars (visually, anyway-I know they were kind of witchy to drive). They were very neatly-packaged and clean compared to the cars that came before them (exposed engines, wing bracing, throw-some-aero-and-see-where-it-sticks bodywork) and the cars that came after them (enormous mid-80s wing endplates and assorted tacked-on aerodynamic doohickeys).
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

I totally agree. The PC9 was a good looking race car especially in the ESSEX colors.

Handsomest front row ever?

Happiness is Friday morning, Road America, first session, rolling down pit lane, course is clear, we are green!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin99 View Post
    Not only was the PC9 itself striking, but this was IMO the most attractive car to ever race at IMS.
    Essex Petroleum CEO David Thieme was originally an industrial designer and had a hand in the Essex graphic scheme, or so the story goes.

The Ladder Broke in 74
    I have a hand signed and numbered print(like 2x3 ft) of Matthews cutaway of the 84 March.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Quote Originally Posted by BSJracing View Post
    I have a hand signed and numbered print(like 2x3 ft) of Matthews cutaway of the 84 March.
    Definitely worth holding onto. Tony has no plans to produce any more prints as the economics no longer work.