Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 98

Thread: IMS Project 100

  1. #1
    Mr. G-Stand
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    1,464

    IMS Project 100

    Here is your chance for input into the future of IMS http://www.imsproject100.com/
    2016 What a Year
    100th Indy 500
    50th for Me!

  2. #2
    Indy since '66 kevin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    40 miles north of the greatest track that has the Greatest Spectacle In Racing.
    Posts
    5,391
    I sent a message about how ridiculous and unneeded it is to close Georgetown Road.
    "You just don't know what Indy Means", Al Unser Jr.

    "That's why to me it does feel more precious when an American wins it...", Michael Andretti

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin99 View Post
    I sent a message about how ridiculous and unneeded it is to close Georgetown Road.
    I think it is something they should have done for the last 30 years.

  4. #4
    Registered User Muskie4041's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,800
    Blog Entries
    2
    I feel bad for the intern w ho has to read all the dreck that will be submitted.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin99 View Post
    I sent a message about how ridiculous and unneeded it is to close Georgetown Road.
    I couldn't disagree more
    Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, IRP - 53

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Since83 View Post
    I couldn't disagree more
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin99 View Post
    I sent a message about how ridiculous and unneeded it is to close Georgetown Road.
    I've never been to IMS, can you both explain what its right or wrong
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

  7. #7
    Mr. G-Stand
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    I've never been to IMS, can you both explain what its right or wrong
    Look at the before and after pictures,

    What they want is to make The current Georgetown road a fan plaza and build a new "Georgetown road" a little farther from the track. This would also help with some Homeland security issues that the road is to close to the grandstands.

  8. #8
    Insider lotuspoweredbyford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Speedway, Indiana
    Posts
    10,272
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin99 View Post
    I sent a message about how ridiculous and unneeded it is to close Georgetown Road.
    Once again, I respectfully disagree.
    "I think of Indianapolis every day of the year, every
    hour of the day, and when I sleep, too. Everything I
    ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of
    the Indianapolis Motor Speedway."
    - Eddie Sachs.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Red View Post
    Look at the before and after pictures,

    What they want is to make The current Georgetown road a fan plaza and build a new "Georgetown road" a little farther from the track. This would also help with some Homeland security issues that the road is to close to the grandstands.
    Thank you for that.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin99 View Post
    I sent a message about how ridiculous and unneeded it is to close Georgetown Road.
    Are you serious?

  11. #11
    Indy since '66 kevin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    40 miles north of the greatest track that has the Greatest Spectacle In Racing.
    Posts
    5,391
    Quote Originally Posted by indyguy2 View Post
    Are you serious?
    For 2 days a year?

    Are you serious?

    Where is the everyday traffic on Georgetown going to go the other 363 days? Right past Speedway High School? Yeah, real smart.

  12. #12
    Indy since '66 kevin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    40 miles north of the greatest track that has the Greatest Spectacle In Racing.
    Posts
    5,391
    Quote Originally Posted by lotuspoweredbyford View Post
    Once again, I respectfully disagree.
    Same here.

  13. #13
    Registered User zapp2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    OHIO down by the river
    Posts
    1,609
    Where are the yellow shirts at in the picture.


  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Edmond OK
    Posts
    1,298
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin99 View Post
    I sent a message about how ridiculous and unneeded it is to close Georgetown Road.
    for those of us that visit Indy, rather than live there, it's pretty awesome to see the grandstands right next to Georgetown road when you drive down it. Also, the road could be widened or moved west adjacent to the track the entire way if need be.

    They could temporarily close the road on race day if they decided it was better for pedestrians. On the other hand, where would N/S traffic go it were closed?

  15. #15
    Administrative Fool doitagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    DaveL for IndyCar Czar
    Posts
    31,301
    Pretty sure that ship has sailed and disappeared over the horizon, kevin99.
    "The series may be hesitant to say it, but the day is here for everybody that loves IndyCar racing to link arms and help each other out. Anybody who doesn’t want to do that needs to find something else to do with their time.”

    -- Eddie Gossage, President, Texas Motor Speedway, ICONIC Advisory Committee & TrackForum member

  16. #16
    Indy since '66 kevin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    40 miles north of the greatest track that has the Greatest Spectacle In Racing.
    Posts
    5,391
    Quote Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
    for those of us that visit Indy, rather than live there, it's pretty awesome to see the grandstands right next to Georgetown road when you drive down it. Also, the road could be widened or moved west adjacent to the track the entire way if need be.

    They could temporarily close the road on race day if they decided it was better for pedestrians. On the other hand, where would N/S traffic go it were closed?
    They do close it on the race days.

    Georgetown is busy all year, makes sense to route the traffic past the high school.

    Quote Originally Posted by doitagain View Post
    Pretty sure that ship has sailed and disappeared over the horizon, kevin99.
    Not yet.

  17. #17
    Registered User TJ Halsema's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sandy Springs, GA
    Posts
    689
    I've always understood that G-Town was only being repaved 2 blocks west in all of the land that the speedway had purchased.

    Also, didn't fully understand the grandstand layouts. It would make more sense if they had a hint as to where those were supposed to. If those were for the main stretch...ain't no way.
    Endurance Karting
    Arrive and Drive Team Karting,
    6 Hours of New Jersey July 12th : Midnight Ride at VIR Aug 16th : 6 Hours of Lime Rock
    5% Off Coupon, Enter GRM14
    www.endurancekarting.com

  18. #18
    Indy is my life Larrymgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Matthews, NC
    Posts
    2,142
    I just looked at this "proposed" development project. You have got to be kidding me...How about they get all the junk cleaned out from under the stands by Opening Day, and take it from there. The place looked horrible Opening Day, like no one had been from Gate 9 to the Northwest end since the previous July. How about they get all their current troubles resolved before showboating about all this F-1 looking goofery.

  19. #19
    Indy since '66 kevin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    40 miles north of the greatest track that has the Greatest Spectacle In Racing.
    Posts
    5,391
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ Halsema View Post
    I've always understood that G-Town was only being repaved 2 blocks west in all of the land that the speedway had purchased.

    Also, didn't fully understand the grandstand layouts. It would make more sense if they had a hint as to where those were supposed to. If those were for the main stretch...ain't no way.
    Let them know how you feel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Larrymgs View Post
    I just looked at this "proposed" development project. You have got to be kidding me...How about they get all the junk cleaned out from under the stands by Opening Day, and take it from there. The place looked horrible Opening Day, like no one had been from Gate 9 to the Northwest end since the previous July. How about they get all their current troubles resolved before showboating about all this F-1 looking goofery.
    This along with almost every side street in Speedway is full of potholes, crumbling curbs and overgrowth.

  20. #20
    Member #234
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,381
    $100 million-plus to work with, and this is what they're thinking? :shakes head in disbelief:


  21. #21
    Member #234
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,381


    This rendering of the "iconic fan fair" for the month of May is not very realistic. I count 21 fans in the drawing. All at the fan fair. At the same time. That's more paying customers than they get on the entire grounds on practice days during the month of May.
    Last edited by MM658; 07-27-2013 at 09:46 PM.

  22. #22
    Member #234
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,381
    My closing thoughts --

    Give us:
    • lights
    • HD screens out the wazoo
    • WiFi, and cellular access that actually works
    • clean, 20th century (no sense going overboard asking for 21st century) bathrooms


    With whatever's left over, put a covered grandstand that can hold more than 12,000 people in turn 1. Preferably 3X that many, with suites and elevators/escalators.

    Project done. You're welcome.

  23. #23
    Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    32,235
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MM658 View Post
    My closing thoughts --

    Give us:
    • lights
    • HD screens out the wazoo
    • WiFi, and cellular access that actually works
    • clean, 20th century (no sense going overboard asking for 21st century) bathrooms


    With whatever's left over, put a covered grandstand that can hold more than 12,000 people in turn 1. Preferably 3X that many, with suites and elevators/escalators.

    Project done. You're welcome.
    I second that - although I was thinking the new stand would have more suites, too.
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"


    Brian's Wish

  24. #24
    Registered User prell5713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Emerald Coast
    Posts
    1,345
    Clearly you are turning into a ratings thread because I can plainly see 23 people in that shot!
    Quote Originally Posted by MM658 View Post


    This rendering of the "iconic fan fair" for the month of May is not very realistic. I count 21 fans in the drawing. All at the fan fair. At the same time. That's more paying customers than they get on the entire grounds on practice days during the month of May.
    We'll win it next year baby.

  25. #25
    Develop the area west of Georgetown with a "fan plaza" or whatever they feel they need to squeeze an extra buck out of the dwindling fanbase, and build walkways over the street Vegas Strip style. That'll make the proponents of a casino within the Speedway feel right at home.

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Shopping Cart
    Posts
    1,607
    So what is the story on suites with this plan? Are those of us in the Paddock or E going to have to worry about being displaced for quite possible less desired digs?

  27. #27
    Registered User prell5713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Emerald Coast
    Posts
    1,345
    Covered grandstand makes the most sense to me as far as generating revenue/ rate of return. I think the center of attraction plaza is probably a good idea. and lights maybe. Then paint the fences lining the racing surface black. But for the sake of preserving the character of the speedway DO NOT REDISIGN THE PENTHOUSE GRANDSTANDS.

  28. #28
    Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    32,235
    Blog Entries
    1
    Eh, people complained about the last three pagodas, but they got better with each one

    There's only like three hundred good seats in all of E Penthouse (even though they are the best). Needs re-done.

  29. #29
    Looking for a ride mitchbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central IN
    Posts
    1,772
    A permanent place to hold musical events would be great. That would provide opportunities not only for income outside of race weekends, but also bring in fans who normally wouldn't come to the track for racing. Might gain some Indy 500 goers.
    "Driving fast on the track does not scare me. What scares me is when I drive on the highway I get passed by some idiot who thinks he is Fangio." - Juan Manuel Fangio
    Freelance (motor)sports blogger: nosebleedsectionsports.com & mbrobinson2.wordpress.com

  30. #30
    Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    32,235
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAngryDwarf View Post
    So what is the story on suites with this plan? Are those of us in the Paddock or E going to have to worry about being displaced for quite possible less desired digs?
    Obviously, the idea would be to increase those opportunities, not diminish them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •