Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 368

Thread: The Beast, Inside story of the Penske/Ilmor motor from the 1994 Indy 500

  1. #1

    The Beast, Inside story of the Penske/Ilmor motor from the 1994 Indy 500

    Sounds good. I have no idea who this guy is but he's got at least 1 sale in me

    http://fingerprint.typepad.com/jade_...-unveiled.html
    I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

  2. #2
    Registered User sherold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    GW
    Posts
    719
    Make that 2, sweet!
    "It’s a four-turn road course. It’s not an oval, and there are four different corners there. If you are a good oval driver, it doesn’t matter there" -TK

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,640
    I wasn't born for the '67 Indy 500. I imagine the 1994 '500 was similiar to the one in '67. The Whooshmobile had the field covered, but would it last?

    I remember the '94 '500 was watching the the Penske team dominate the field and waiting to see if the engine would last. Unlike '67, it lasted. The only drama was Emmo making a mistake at the end and handing victory to his team mate.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyZ1 View Post
    Sounds good. I have no idea who this guy is but he's got at least 1 sale in me

    http://fingerprint.typepad.com/jade_...-unveiled.html

    Jade is one of the good guys.

    PR for Ilmor in the mid to late 90's. PR for Bud's NASCAR program for a decade. Communications with Andretti as well. He's written a couple of best sellers about his time working with Dale Earnhardt, Jr.

  5. #5
    T-Loin/Beer Aficionado HopHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by MS View Post
    Unlike '67, it lasted.
    Thanks for ruining the ending of the book.

  6. #6
    One of the things that sparked a memory in me was when I downloaded the 1994 500 Radio Broadcast from IMS. I had always had an AM recording of the 1994 race, but the sound quality was relatively poor mono. I decided to upgrade when the official download came out, it was in FM quality (or better?) stereo.

    It is amazing to listen closely. Without any visual reference, you can still clearly hear the Mercedes engines going by, they are distinctly discernible from the pitch of the quad-cams. You can hear Emmo and Al go by in 1st-2nd...hear the rest of the field go by...then CLEARLY pick out Tracy going by in the third Mercedes deep in the field.

    In hindsight, it was an amazing experience to say we lived through that whole month first hand. And the home videos I have are now priceless.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b8fYcmAzc4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM2vlPfnHHQ

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by martyrothrules View Post
    Jade is one of the good guys.

    PR for Ilmor in the mid to late 90's. PR for Bud's NASCAR program for a decade. Communications with Andretti as well. He's written a couple of best sellers about his time working with Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
    Yeah I saw his book on Jr. I might pick that up

  8. #8
    Reset your fuel,Go Go Go Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Crystal Lake,IL
    Posts
    11,915
    Am I wrong or was he originally working for Andretti Promotions when they first took over the Milwaukee Mile race? But he's not there now.
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

  9. #9
    Insider milliesdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    a state of Vicodin-induced confusion
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Z28 View Post
    Am I wrong or was he originally working for Andretti Promotions when they first took over the Milwaukee Mile race? But he's not there now.
    You are correct. He was the contact about tickets, and then some.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, when I die I want to go where they go" Mark Twain

    I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

  10. #10
    Hi guys,

    Just checking in. I'm really excited about the book and I think there a lot surprises in the story that don't always match the myths and legends. Anxious for it to hit the bookstores.

    Happy to answer questions about the book - just no spoilers or bombshells!

    Jade Gurss
    Author

  11. #11
    My first 500. Haven't missed one since.

    A local Indy TV station at the time (WINDY TV) aired a summary of the '94 month of may and it was narrated by Bob Jenkins. I believe this was done for several 500s during this time period, although I can't find them anywhere online. Maybe the speedway museum has copies? Anyone know of these productions?

  12. #12
    Insider milliesdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    a state of Vicodin-induced confusion
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeGurss View Post
    Hi guys,

    Just checking in. I'm really excited about the book and I think there a lot surprises in the story that don't always match the myths and legends. Anxious for it to hit the bookstores.

    Happy to answer questions about the book - just no spoilers or bombshells!

    Jade Gurss
    Author

    Welcome to the zoo.

    IN "CamKing's Tech "forum, there is a thread (now stickied) entitled "Straight line speeds at Indy" At the end of the thread are a few comments about the Mec Ilmore. Produced more problems than anticipated.

    Your thoughts?

    And thanks for the ticket-mailing I requested a few years back at Milwaukee.

  13. #13
    Administrative Fool doitagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    DaveL for IndyCar Czar
    Posts
    31,234
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeGurss View Post
    Hi guys,

    Just checking in. I'm really excited about the book and I think there a lot surprises in the story that don't always match the myths and legends. Anxious for it to hit the bookstores.

    Happy to answer questions about the book - just no spoilers or bombshells!

    Jade Gurss
    Author
    Welcome aboard
    "The series may be hesitant to say it, but the day is here for everybody that loves IndyCar racing to link arms and help each other out. Anybody who doesn’t want to do that needs to find something else to do with their time.”

    -- Eddie Gossage, President, Texas Motor Speedway, ICONIC Advisory Committee & TrackForum member

  14. #14
    Hey Jade, looks like a cool read. Two questions:
    You blog says it's available in all ebook formats, but looking at Amazon, I do not see a Kindle version. Will it be available for Kindle?
    Amazon has the release date of May 25, the blog says April. Is Amazon incorrect?

    Thanks.

  15. #15
    The Cybernetic Ghost
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wailuku, HI
    Posts
    39
    Pre-order on Amazon complete!

  16. #16
    There is no substitute. Spike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Driving the point home
    Posts
    16,965
    Quote Originally Posted by milliesdad View Post
    Your thoughts?
    Which ones? Probably best to read the book.

    I've put my order in.
    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

  17. #17
    Best Post on TF since 2008
    Asked how he’d like to be remembered were he hit by a bus tomorrow, Tracy doesn’t hesitate: “I’m a race-car driver. At the last second, I’d swerve and avoid the bus.”

  18. #18
    Registered User heliogordy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Back Home Again In Indiana
    Posts
    659
    Posted this a while back. It's lengthy.

    http://8w.forix.com/penske-mercedes-pc23-ilmor.html
    KEEP POUNDIN' THE ROCK

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeGurss View Post
    Hi guys,

    Just checking in. I'm really excited about the book and I think there a lot surprises in the story that don't always match the myths and legends. Anxious for it to hit the bookstores.

    Happy to answer questions about the book - just no spoilers or bombshells!

    Jade Gurss
    Author
    Jut curious, any mention of Jack Arute's report that Penske put a "gag order" on Tracy after his Fast Friday wreck? I had just arrived at the track to watch happy hour and had the ABC/ESPN feed. I heard the cars going around at speed only to slow down and the track go yellow jut as I came up the north end ramp out of the tunnel. Arute and the guys were yucking it up after his report using the term "gag order". Pretty funny stuff."

  20. #20
    Uncle Bobby? slompappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    snake pit
    Posts
    2,102
    Blog Entries
    1
    I was a big All Jr fan since 89 and had to miss 92 because my dad was in intensive care...when emmo hit the wall it was directly in front of me 90 degree angle of my view and I was watching him the entire time around turn 4....the crowd lost it

    I was of course very happy to see little al win

    Perfect example of how the old Indy 500 formula could provide high excitement even though penske ran away with the race...the buzz around the motor was crazy

    I'm afraid that that stuff isn't sensational enough for today's young person

    One of the great days of my life....one of he reasons I continue to attend that event year after year...
    "I wasn't going to finish 2nd today...2nd was not in the cards...I was either going to win or i was not going to finish at all..." Eddie Cheever-Victory Lane,Indianapolis Motor Speedway 1998

  21. #21
    Uncle Bobby? slompappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    snake pit
    Posts
    2,102
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorindy View Post
    One of the things that sparked a memory in me was when I downloaded the 1994 500 Radio Broadcast from IMS. I had always had an AM recording of the 1994 race, but the sound quality was relatively poor mono. I decided to upgrade when the official download came out, it was in FM quality (or better?) stereo.

    It is amazing to listen closely. Without any visual reference, you can still clearly hear the Mercedes engines going by, they are distinctly discernible from the pitch of the quad-cams. You can hear Emmo and Al go by in 1st-2nd...hear the rest of the field go by...then CLEARLY pick out Tracy going by in the third Mercedes deep in the field.

    In hindsight, it was an amazing experience to say we lived through that whole month first hand. And the home videos I have are now priceless.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b8fYcmAzc4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM2vlPfnHHQ

    Very cool videos man...I enjoyed them completely

  22. #22
    Roger Pensive Racing Team
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Muncie, Indiana
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Turn2standG View Post
    My first 500. Haven't missed one since.

    A local Indy TV station at the time (WINDY TV) aired a summary of the '94 month of may and it was narrated by Bob Jenkins. I believe this was done for several 500s during this time period, although I can't find them anywhere online. Maybe the speedway museum has copies? Anyone know of these productions?
    WNDY aired the IMS-produced films. Most of them aired on ESPN and were called "Legends of the Brickyard."

    Here's the video you are looking for:
    If I were Ed Carpenter and you were a lady...

  23. #23
    Planning dalz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Back to work hibernation
    Posts
    3,833
    Sounds like a fascinating book.

    I hope the book has perspective on the saga from Rick Mears. There was one vague reference in Racer magazine about how he deeply regretted not being behind the wheel of this car, as it would have given him a prohibitive advantage to score number 5. Possibly the only time he wished he had not retired when he did?
    Happiness is Friday morning, Road America, first session, rolling down pit lane, course is clear, we are green!

  24. #24
    Book is going to rock. Lots of old Penske guys interviewed for it, got to hear some of their stories and hope they make the book. Excited to finally have a release date! I can't wait!
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4233/kiawp.jpg
    Peters Motorsports Designs
    Web - http://www.petersmotorsports.com
    Twitter- @petersmtrsprts

  25. #25
    Turn 2: The Speedway produces a video of highlights each year. There is a DVD box set that compiles those by decade. (I can't seem to find mine at the moment for the official name/details.)

  26. #26
    Without giving away some amazing numbers in the book, the M-B engine provided massive straightline speeds at IMS - while the cornering speeds were much lower than the "standard" cars... Spent some time discussing this with car designer Nigel Bennett and other engineers. The book devotes a section to the issues the engine caused for the chassis.

  27. #27
    There will be all eBook versions available (B&N Nook, iTunes, Kindle, etc.) but the Amazon page may not yet be updates. I don't understand why, but publishing dates seem to be an arbitrary date - and I can assure you we will have it available long before May 25.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by gusto06 View Post
    Pre-order on Amazon complete!
    Thanks! (And I've figured out I was was hitting the wrong button to "quote..." ha! Damn newbie.

  29. #29
    Registered User heliogordy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Back Home Again In Indiana
    Posts
    659
    Had a discussion with Donald Davidson about this a couple of weeks ago...he mentioned the number 247.

    Looking forward to the book.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaparral4 View Post
    Jut curious, any mention of Jack Arute's report that Penske put a "gag order" on Tracy after his Fast Friday wreck? I had just arrived at the track to watch happy hour and had the ABC/ESPN feed. I heard the cars going around at speed only to slow down and the track go yellow jut as I came up the north end ramp out of the tunnel. Arute and the guys were yucking it up after his report using the term "gag order". Pretty funny stuff."
    I'm not aware of a gag order, other than Paul was concussed in the crash and was taken to Memorial quite soon afterwards without an opportunity to speak with anyone. He was not released until the next day, and then did interviews/news conference on Sunday. The crash was a major things for the team, for Paul and for Roger, so it plays prominently in the storyline in the two weeks leading up to the race. Paul spoke quite openly and honestly about it, and how he perceived his role within the team at that time. One of my favorite interviews for the book.

    jade.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •