Page 1 of 145 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Tenderloins

OT - Tenderloins

I am not from Indianapolis, but I spend three days a year there each May. I feel like I am missing a huge piece Indy mystique when everybody starts talking about tenderloins and I am hoping somebody can answer the following:

What exactly are they?

Where do I get the best one? (if they are from multiple vendors)

Thanks in advance for your answers.

They are the loins of a pig.

And they taste wonderful, especially when breaded.

Track Tenderloins are great.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Long time pain N D arse
    Tenderloins are a slice of heaven rolled up in a rainbow, and sprinkled with sunshine.

BTW, No need for the OT. Tenderloins are not off topic at TF.

Tenderloins are a piece of pork smashed flat and breaded then deep fried and put in a bun.

Tenderloins are sold all over. Some of the people that live in Indy can tell you were to get the better ones.
    For me, it is more important where I'm eating the tenderloin. The Infield at the fairgrounds for the Hoosier hundred is a great place to have a tenderloin, or on the friday before pole day for the 500 sitting behind pit row.
    "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
    Vice President, Marketing
    IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Try McGilvery's in Speedway - 34th & High School Rd. You can catch AutoSport 2002 live, have a couple beers and enjoy a decent tenderloin.

IMHO, Columbus, IN is the home of the best Tenderloins on earth (both breaded and grilled, BTW). I prefer the breaded kind that stick out a foot beyond the bun in all directions myself.

Find any "shack" near a Cummins factory with a "tenderloin" sign on it and you wont be dissapointed - they're all good.

Also Lois' Fish on 17th St. by the county hospital does 'em up right (and by following the hospital signs is easy to find).

one of many
    Go about a mile south off of I-70 at the West St. exit...the "Icehouse". Best t'loins I've had.

That's where fellow poster PDC and I meet to discuss the merits of OW racing in these United States.

Blog Entries
    I like the tenderloins at Schneider's, Meridian and Stop 11, near Perry Meridian High School.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Flag Room at the Brickyard Crossing hotel serves a "blackened", grilled tenderloin with a cajun-style sauce that is one of my favorites.

The Icehouse is a my lunch pick when I'm down Lilly's way. Outstanding service, too

[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: Turn13 ]
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Doin' this waaay too long
    Originally posted by CamKing:
    <STRONG>Tenderloins are a slice of heaven rolled up in a rainbow, and sprinkled with sunshine. </STRONG>
    Gee, King, that doesn't sound very filling. How about some meat??!!
    "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

these here tenderloins sure sound good - anybody know where to find one in LA?

Average Joe's Grill and Pub in Broad Ripple in Indy has very good tenderloins and wings....
    All Roads Lead to Indy...

Was on Food Nation with Bobby Flay:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/foodtv/re...,20541,00.html

oh yeah!!!before they reconfigured the track,
    our pole day lunch break routine included grabbing a few tenderloins,and the cooler,
    jump in the rental and cruise the snake
    pit.even my snobby sushi eatin friends love em.

Originally posted by HopHead:
    <STRONG>I am not from Indianapolis, but I spend three days a year there each May. I feel like I am missing a huge piece Indy mystique when everybody starts talking about tenderloins and I am hoping somebody can answer the following:

What exactly are they?

Where do I get the best one? (if they are from multiple vendors)

Thanks in advance for your answers. </STRONG>
    Dreyer...do you want to take this one?
    Will Buxton to Lotus Engineer: Why isn't Pastor going anywhere?

Lotus Engineer to Buxton:
    Pastor isn't moving due to a "very high carbon distress level", caused by a Dukes of Hazzard moment!

But that's just my opinion!

Originally posted by 2fast4u:
    <STRONG>these here tenderloins sure sound good - anybody know where to find one in LA?

</STRONG>

You won't find em West of the Mississippi, so you get with a Hoosier and let them tell you how to make em. I myself got tired of asking for them out here in Phoenix so I started making my own about 5 years ago. I HAD TO, one tenderloin trip to Indiana a year did NOT fill my cravings. Get with a Hoosier and they'll tell ya how to make em!!! Won't ya guys?

Long time pain N D arse
    <STRONG>these here tenderloins sure sound good - anybody know where to find one in LA?

</STRONG>
    No such luck, you're gonna have to stick to your Veggie Burger w/alvacado on a whole wheat bun.

There is a lot of things I love about living in California, but the food isn't one of them. Mid-west food is the Best.

BTW, I'd like to thank Hophead for starting this thread. I'll be thinking about tenderloins while I'm at the Sushi bar having lunch(or in mid-westerners terms,"Bait").

There's nothing better than a track tenderloin and a cold beer at IMS! For both the race and qualies I usually sit on pit road and the concession stands behind our seats sell good ones.
    God is a comedian playing to an audience too affraid to laugh.
    - Voltaire

<STRONG>

No such luck, you're gonna have to stick to your Veggie Burger w/alvacado on a whole wheat bun.
    </STRONG>
    if you ever see me eating something like that, please shoot me.

seriously, we've got so many transplanted midwesterners out here I can't believe nobody is cooking up and selling a proper tenderloin - like, I can get a philly cheesesteak or a new york bagel (and any kind of friggin burrito you could imagine) - so what's up with no tenderloins?

I know CK, you're just keeping the place a secret so ya won't have to wait in a long line...

There is no such thing as a bad loin, just like sex!
    The best I've found is at Green Steet Pub and Eatery on HWY 267 just off I74 in Brownsburg. They are dipped in beer batter and are delicious.
    Also Charlie Browns on Main Street in Speedway has a good one, but they only serve the breaded ones Monday thru Friday.
    McGilvery's is also very good and all that I've mentioned support the IRL.
    Have a very blessed day!

Furthest west I've ever bought one was in Iowa.

Tenderloin sticking out a foot from the bun,, mustard and pickles,,,, fried mushrooms,, blackberry cobbler,,, PBR or Strohs. Life is great.
    "OWRS did not return phone calls."

I found a place in Austin TX that sells them, I haven't been brave enough to try them yet.

I eat half a dozen or so every memorial day weekend/vacation. To keep me satisfied till next year.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Ape Man

Originally posted by OW fan in OK:
    <STRONG>Furthest west I've ever bought one was in Iowa.

Tenderloin sticking out a foot from the bun,, mustard and pickles,,,, fried mushrooms,, blackberry cobbler,,, PBR or Strohs. Life is great.</STRONG>
    Now that gourmet eatin' at its best!!!

Originally posted by indyracer56:
    <STRONG> </STRONG>
    That looks like an Al Green's loin from a few years back.

Long time pain N D arse
    <STRONG>

I know CK, you're just keeping the place a secret so ya won't have to wait in a long line... </STRONG>
    I really wish that was true.
    I have not found one place that serves Tenderloins out here. I have been told that Costco sells frozen Tenderloins, but that's just not the same.

BTW, I think Tenderloins would be a harder sell to Californians then CheeseSteaks.

You go in and ask What's a CheeseSteak and the guy says "We take USDA prime steak cut it into thin strips, grill it with onions and peppers, put it in a french roll and cover it with provalone cheese." That's an easy sell.

You go in and ask what's a Tenderloin and the guy says "We take a pig loin and beat the krap out of it with a mallet until it's flat, we bread it and deep fry it in oil, then we stick it in a bun that is about half the size of the meat." That is not an easy sell.

H H A
    You know I never really thought of tenderloins not being available out west. When I venture west of the Mississippi it's usualy for a long weekend, or a week at the most, not long enough for the tenderloin monkey to start clawing at my back I guess.

Here in Indy I think personal tastes in the fineries of hammered pig's butt would be the determining factor in one's favorite place.

I like them hammered flat and thin, some like them a little thicker and juicier, but we here at TF know all the best ones are served at places smelling of spent methanol.
    "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Hey folks, today is my B-Day, and to top that off, I just got word that I'll be sharing my birthday with my brand new nephew. No details.
    My boss has offered to buy me lunch, and this thread has helped me make my selection, .....Tenderloin!

"I was riding on the Mayflower when I thought I spotted some land" ~Bob Dylan's 115th Dream

A rampart is a bulwark!

I have never had a tenderloin!

What kind of a race fan am I?

...and proud of it. comfortably numb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I haven't had 'em either...

...but ask me how I like them after my honeymoon.
    “Twitter is the spit on the sidewalk of life.”
    "I am glad this prayer did work, and everyone (including the sponsors) were kept safe during the race. "
    “I'm getting tired of you. You never push a noun against a verb without trying to blow up something.”

<STRONG>BTW, No need for the OT. Tenderloins are not off topic at TF.
    </STRONG>
    'Twas no truer statement ever posted!
    "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete