Thread: I hereby found...'The Purist Party'

I hereby found...'The Purist Party'

Maybe it sounds arrogant, but am member #1 because of lack of any others as yet. If I stand alone forever, then I stand alone forever. Future members will be dubbed by the chronological order in which they state agreement with the following philosophical statements regarding racing, specifically open-wheel. The list may be subject to additions, in time to come, if deemed necessary.

Fundamental #1
    The love not only a specific race, even one as great as the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race, but the racing of machines built specifically for it; I love "formula," open-wheel racing.

Fundamental #2
    I love oval track racing, road course racing, and street course racing; I love the racing of any type of purpose-built racing machines. I do not agree with anyone who says that racing should not take place on a given surface or track layout 'as a matter of course,' or because a certain group doesn't find it interesting.

Fundamental #3
    I do not believe the age of improving the breed of automobiles has passed; I do not believe auto racing is merely entertainment, or business.

Fundamental #4
    I "tip my hat" to any man or woman who is willing to step into a purpose-built racing machine and put their well-being on the line to engage others in motorsports competition, regardless of their personal reasons for doing so.

Fundamental #5
    My sense of aesthetics accepts that the most beautiful design happens to be what is the best design for a purpose-built racing machine. If a front-engined car can be found that performs 'equal to, or better and faster than,' rear-engined cars, it is 'as beautiful, or more.' If it cannot, it is not.

These, the first ones I can think of, and thus far the most important.
    Last edited by Chris; 04-01-2006 at 03:55 AM.
    THIS...IS...OPEN-WHEEL!!!

Some people have religion. I happen to be one of them.

"If grown men and women wish to take such risks, that is their own business."
    Ronald Reagan

"Be intolerant: because some things are just plain stupid."

Paradoxically Sublime Fool Turn13's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm in
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Sign me up!

Internet Hack
    I'm cool with all your fundamentals except for subclause 'c' of #2. Street races do not produce quality racing. I view them as a necessary evil that must be tolerated on the schedule in that a perfect world would not have them.

That said...I was at the museum before the season opener party and was reminded of the classic look of Mark Donohue's 1972 Sunoco Special. Now that is a classic IndyCar design, you can keep your Novi.
    For the record, I never had a problem with CART in 1995. Its when they turned beligerant twards IMS and their fans for supporting the IRL that turned me off them.

I'm in

and I even like street races

I'll sign the document.

Back of the Envelope Eng.
    ~ditto

Count me in.
    After years of fighting and a split, guess what, we are all IndyCar

October will always be a sad racing month for me. RIP Greg and Dan. You both were great and we miss you.

I'm in.

Where do I sign?
    "You see Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

part-time TF'er
    Sign me up.
    Rest in Peace, Miles Nelson

Never forget, 'Mackie' was here.

My sense of aesthetics accepts that the most beautiful design happens to be what is the best design for a purpose-built racing machine.

"Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

part-time TF'er
    That's an open wheel car?

Count me in. I love Kool-Aid.

Current Members
    Chris
    Turn13
    flyingpylon
    Ken
    SportscarBruce
    hoop-98
    Vasserfan
    Indy-hp
    IlliniRacer
    dreamracer
    DannyM

Indycarjunkie:
    Last year St. Petersburg was rather exciting to me. The 'festive' atmosphere is also helpful for a series as a whole. I do not believe street racing should be the predominant form, whatsoever....but it has a viable place, in my worldview.

Doc Austin:
    If that thing can beat an open-wheel machine as we currently understand them over a period of a four lap qualification run, then I say put it in the tech line here and now.

EDIT: A shame there's only 11 of us...but then maybe this is the equivalent of first day quals.
    Last edited by Chris; 04-06-2006 at 06:01 AM.

Proclamation of the Party, #1

St. Petersburg should remain a permanent fixture on the IndyCar schedule; the television network it is currently broadcast on could stand to be upgraded to regular network.

Ok, just to spoil this love fest:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Fundamental #1
    The love not only a specific race, even one as great as the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race, but the racing of machines built specifically for it; I love "formula," open-wheel racing.
    I love the 500 more than the cars running in it.

[/QUOTE]Fundamental #2
    I love oval track racing, road course racing, and street course racing; I love the racing of any type of purpose-built racing machines. I do not agree with anyone who says that racing should not take place on a given surface or track layout 'as a matter of course,' or because a certain group doesn't find it interesting.[/QUOTE]

I enjoy all these forms of racing, but some more than others.

[/QUOTE]Fundamental #3
    I do not believe the age of improving the breed of automobiles has passed; I do not believe auto racing is merely entertainment, or business.[/QUOTE]

Sorry - racing hasn't been about improving the breed of automobiles for ages. It may have never really been about improving the breed. This has been a myth for a long time.

Racing is entertainment and a business. It might be more, but not always.

[/QUOTE]Fundamental #4
    I "tip my hat" to any man or woman who is willing to step into a purpose-built racing machine and put their well-being on the line to engage others in motorsports competition, regardless of their personal reasons for doing so.[/QUOTE]

I do agree.

[/QUOTE]Fundamental #5
    My sense of aesthetics accepts that the most beautiful design happens to be what is the best design for a purpose-built racing machine. If a front-engined car can be found that performs 'equal to, or better and faster than,' rear-engined cars, it is 'as beautiful, or more.' If it cannot, it is not.
    [/QUOTE]

Kind of esoteric. Or is it esotoric?
    Randy

"Danica has earned her equipment and her opportunity. It didn't just materialize out of the air. She earned it one piece at a time, starting at 10 years old." Mark Martin

"Life does not imitate art. It imitates bad television." Unidentified TV Talking Head.