Some general thoughts as we head towards the end of the 2007 NFL pre-season and towards week 1 of the regular season....
1. Atlanta's WR's don't look so bad anymore. What a shocker that now that scatter-gun QB Michael Vick is gone, that the recievers in Atlanta are now catching the ball and making plays. The WR's in Atlanta got all the blame when Atlanta's passing game consistantly faltered (because the NFL know-it-all announcers could never bring themselves to actually blame the former Falcon QB for anything). Look for guys like Roddy White and Michael Jenkins to have breakthrough years with a true offensive expert (Petrino) running the offense. And, don't be surprised if Joey Harrington flourishes in that Petrino system. The guy knows what he is doing on offense and its very "QB friendly".
2. Kickers are going to kick longer FG's this year. With relaxed rules with the "K ball", look for kickers to make 50 yard FG's routinely and for kickoffs to sail into the endzone on a regular basis (thrwarting some kick returners in the process).
3. JP Losman is actually pretty good. He really is. He put up big numbers last year (very quietly, BTW) and could be even better this year. He might throw the best deep ball in the NFL. And Lee Evans is the best WR you never hear about.
4. Kevin Kolb is going to be really good someday. One of the most accurate QB's to come into the league in a long time. Just a matter of time before he is the Eagles starter. McNabb looks really good too right now. Can he stay healthy though?
5. Why is Byron Leftwich still the Jaguar starter at QB? Can someone explain that to me? Sure he makes big coin, but Garrard is the much better QB for that team. Leftwich is a statue that eventually gets knocked down. Happens every year.
6. Calvin Johnson will be Rookie of the Year. Mark it down. Adrian Peterson could give him a strong run though. And, Tony Ugoh will be a pro-bowler at LT in 3 years for the Colts. Another terrific Polian draft pick.
7. Jake Delhomme is on his last legs in Carolina. He just doesn't look good anymore. David Carr will be starting for them very soon this year. Carolina could have a really rough season regardless of who is playing QB. Just not much juice with that team anymore.
8. The Bears are going to regret turning their starting RB spot over to Cedric Benson. He won't last the season.
9. Pick for worst team in the AFC- either Miami or Kansas City. Both have terrible offensive personnel, weak offensive lines and aging defenses. Its too bad, because both have terrific running backs. Not much to go with them though.
10. Pick for worst team in the NFC- Green Bay. Yes, a lot of people like their defense, but Favre is running on fumes, they have a rookie RB (who never did much at Nebraska) and very young WR's. They had a good finish last year, but I think this will be the year that Favre wishes he actually did retire.